Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 191 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 14-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation

My humble opinion. I am in education and training industry that shifting away from employing contract even. Lots of associate jobs, big problems created by a certain Mr. Ng. End of rant.

Specific for education n training
Employers now look for 90% fit as there's 100 applicants for each job. Seriously over 100. If big companies like FB Google Amazon, 1000s

HR uses software to filter to top 10 or so. Go read up on ATS compatible resume. It is a software, it's stupid. You must put in effort to outwit it.

Managers do read cover letters though they also expect u to repeat the grandmother story at the table. Don't ever skip the cover. General one better than none. I spend around an hour on each cover trying to meet the needs stated. Sometimes ATS software choose based on covers. U never know.

Once you got the interview, good job you have defeated software. Now u must convince a human. Cater your speech perfectly to the JD. One gap and the other candidate get an advantage. Really have gaps? Go read up what to say to instill confidence in your boss.

Salary wise, don't put above 4k, 5-10 years of exp around 3.7k plus. 2-4 years around 3k plus. Yes it's that bad. Salary can nego after hearing demands of the job, but for people no job, IMO just accept, break the unlucky streak first. Don't forget you got a call from HR partially because you were within acceptable salary range.

From no calls l had 4 interviews, some second round, still praying hard for offer and signing.

In Singapore it is a curse to have gaps excess of 6 months. Break the curse first, psychologically also feel great about yourself. Then demand more later.

Engineering is in demand, 1 round of interview usually sufficient as it's really not fun. If really desperate to buy milk powder, do consider.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 15-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My humble opinion. I am in education and training industry that shifting away from employing contract even. Lots of associate jobs, big problems created by a certain Mr. Ng. End of rant.

Specific for education n training
Employers now look for 90% fit as there's 100 applicants for each job. Seriously over 100. If big companies like FB Google Amazon, 1000s

HR uses software to filter to top 10 or so. Go read up on ATS compatible resume. It is a software, it's stupid. You must put in effort to outwit it.

Managers do read cover letters though they also expect u to repeat the grandmother story at the table. Don't ever skip the cover. General one better than none. I spend around an hour on each cover trying to meet the needs stated. Sometimes ATS software choose based on covers. U never know.

Once you got the interview, good job you have defeated software. Now u must convince a human. Cater your speech perfectly to the JD. One gap and the other candidate get an advantage. Really have gaps? Go read up what to say to instill confidence in your boss.

Salary wise, don't put above 4k, 5-10 years of exp around 3.7k plus. 2-4 years around 3k plus. Yes it's that bad. Salary can nego after hearing demands of the job, but for people no job, IMO just accept, break the unlucky streak first. Don't forget you got a call from HR partially because you were within acceptable salary range.

From no calls l had 4 interviews, some second round, still praying hard for offer and signing.

In Singapore it is a curse to have gaps excess of 6 months. Break the curse first, psychologically also feel great about yourself. Then demand more later.

Engineering is in demand, 1 round of interview usually sufficient as it's really not fun. If really desperate to buy milk powder, do consider.

I totally agree with your

'Salary wise, don't put above 4k, 5-10 years of exp around 3.7k plus. 2-4 years around 3k plus. Yes it's that bad. Salary can nego after hearing demands of the job, but for people no job, IMO just accept, break the unlucky streak first. Don't forget you got a call from HR partially because you were within acceptable salary range.'

I don't understand why most jobless ppl can still have the mood to be picky and then they go ranting that their money is running low, at the same time.

Old 15-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

Hi, any advice to prepare for interview with HR?

Old 16-02-2019, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, any advice to prepare for interview with HR?
Yours may be different but usually first round is HR, Second round is your boss.

The long post before yours is valid for you. The difference lies individual body language. Some candidates look like they will resign within 3 months. Totally no sparkle in the eye.
Old 17-02-2019, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
ok I don't understand this. every company wants people with accounting experience. people need a job to gain experience. however, the same people also need experience to get the job. How?!

Also, when the turnover rate for accounts/audit role is so high, i would think the logical move by companies would be to give candidates a chance when they demonstrate keen interest in the job. And if the companies don't want to give all these eager candidates a chance, then they have no business complaining to their MPs or business chambers that it's so bloody hard to hire people.

after job hunting for so long, i really think that companies (HR and line managers alike) don't know what they want. Think about it. When people resign, it's usually due to push factors such as toxic work environment, crappy bosses, poor remuneration for crazy work load. How many people actually quit because they lack experience and cannot do the job?! Recruitment should be focused on the person's general aptitude and attitude.
As much as what you mentioned is the holy grail truth. This is the reality of outside world. The employer have the choice of hiring anyone they feel will fit the job. If you do not have experience, they can always hire someone with experiences. This is the hard truth. No employer will give you any chances. It doesn't work that way because no one owe anyone a living. As much as i would like to say: well, too bad you are fresh grad," but this is employer market and will always be employer market.

That why accounting is sunset industry. Flooded with cheap foreigner willing to do the job at lower rate. Who bother taking in Singaporeans?
Old 17-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yours may be different but usually first round is HR, Second round is your boss.

The long post before yours is valid for you. The difference lies individual body language. Some candidates look like they will resign within 3 months. Totally no sparkle in the eye.

My first interview was with boss..2nd with HR so am wondering how to prepare for it.

Old 22-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

More than a thousand listings relevant to students, PMETs and retirees, and growing at Prolific Skins. Updated constantly. SIC.

s://.prolificskins.com/forum/jobs-classifieds-hiring/jobs-hub-thread-for-singaporeans-only
Old 22-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
More than a thousand listings relevant to students, PMETs and retirees, and growing at Prolific Skins. Updated constantly. SIC.

s://.prolificskins.com/forum/jobs-classifieds-hiring/jobs-hub-thread-for-singaporeans-only
Correct link.........thanks for sharing.

Old 24-02-2019, 01:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
My first interview was with boss..2nd with HR so am wondering how to prepare for it.
Probably focus on salary so be prepared. To maximize your chance go back to the portal and check how much you indicated, just stick to it. Unless you have competing offer and don't mind risking.

You may also repeat all that you said to your boss, again if necessary for the purpose of records.
Old 27-02-2019, 10:30 PM
Verified Member

coolcat25 is on a distinguished road

what kind of skills are companies looking for in a HR assistant/Admin role? I have non-HR degree background. Been jobless around 9 months and every month I apply upto 100 positions. workforce singapore is really unhelpful. i really need advice.