Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 189 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1881 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just take it, don't think too much.

having something to work on and keep yourself occupy is better than going crazy without any job.

while doing the 3 months intern, just keep spamming resume.

cheers bro!

Reply With Quote
  #1882 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just take it, don't think too much.

having something to work on and keep yourself occupy is better than going crazy without any job.

while doing the 3 months intern, just keep spamming resume.

cheers bro!
Hey thanks for the advice! Yes i will spam resume in the meantime.
Unfortunately coz of my limited working experience my resume has roughly stayed the same ever since ive been jobhunting sian ah.

Want to alter according to job description also quite hard. Anw good luck to all those still unemployed out there and dont give up!!

Reply With Quote
  #1883 (permalink)  
Old 30-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help needed please

Any Singaporean males feel like their employer let them go due their NS reservist obligations? I've been a above-average performer but was essentially forced to resign after missing key projects that coincided with ICT dates, after I resigned the company hired a FT at the same payscale who didn't have reservist obligations. Do I have any recourse, via MOM or MINDEF?

Reply With Quote
  #1884 (permalink)  
Old 30-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Any Singaporean males feel like their employer let them go due their NS reservist obligations? I've been a above-average performer but was essentially forced to resign after missing key projects that coincided with ICT dates, after I resigned the company hired a FT at the same payscale who didn't have reservist obligations. Do I have any recourse, via MOM or MINDEF?
A good employer will not do this to you. This means you should just leave that company.

I have no issue with employers asking me to resign due to ICT. At most it is deferment with valid reason.
Reply With Quote
  #1885 (permalink)  
Old 31-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A good employer will not do this to you. This means you should just leave that company.

I have no issue with employers asking me to resign due to ICT. At most it is deferment with valid reason.
Depends on his industry, I say. From personal experience Mindef can be difficult to deal with sometimes even at an officer level. Also, subjective performance appraisals are always a good way to let personnel go even if the real reason is your NS obligation.

To TS, sorry I'm not sure if there's any recourse for you. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #1886 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
coolcat25 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hello, does being a director in f&b company affect job status? My dad insisted to put my name as a director in his company. I have been job hunting for months. I am fresh graduate and get a handful of interviews average monthly. I know myself that I have done interviews positively confident but I never got a single offer till now. Does being a director in company affect my job status? Maybe when HR/hiring managers asks for your IC and they do check whether I am employed or not or having affiliations with other companies. To note: I don't work in my dads company. Just an acting director or whatever. Please advice whether I should revoke my status as being a director or this doesnt affect my job employment at all. Cheers
Reply With Quote

  #1887 (permalink)  
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
DarkFuture is on a distinguished road
Default Regret

Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience. Maybe also a form of outlet for me to vent my frustrations.

I am 33 years old. Have been unemployed for the 6 months and will likely be longer. Worked previously mostly as contract admin staff. In 2016, decided to take a part time degree course in Accounting and Finance. When my contract ended near end of 2017, I decided not to continue because it was at the end of my course and also workload was catching up. Completed my studies in December 2017.

Tried looking for accounting or finance roles in Jan 2018 but recruiters told me no experience or qualification. I was still waiting for confirmation of my results then so I took on the first contract job that was offered to me which was a 3 months contract in a bank. Bank offered to recontract for another 3 months and I took it while looking for a more permanent role.

During the time, I applied for accounting roles but some wanted immediate availability. So when my contract ended, I did not renew again, partly because of the immediate availability portion and also because my role in the bank felt a little unstable. Thought that becoming more available, I would be able to find job faster.

Now available immediately, companies said no experience so do not want to hire. Very irritating when they say no exp needed but later in interview say I got no experience. Or maybe they felt I am too old. Sent out many resumes but got rejected for most. Was offered 1 role so I relaxed a bit and did not send out resumes and even rejected some interviews. But halfway through, the company told me position was suspended by management so I basically wasted close to a month doing nothing. Felt really stupid then.

The few others that interviewed me also did not get back to me. Now, accounting roles also don't seem too stable and appealing to me anymore, especially after long period cannot find job.

Now spamming resume for about everything except sales. Not sure if I am too picky or what. Some companies say overqualified on paper. Some say no experience. And its always a waiting game to be called up for interview. Even if go interview also don't feel as confident as before and I think it affects the interview. At the back of my mind now also is if the job can be long term because scared that I will come out and become unemployed again.

Don't know what to do now. Thought that studying will open more doors for my future but now it feels like it slams down on it instead. Made so many wrong choices and regret now. Spend the day just drifting around aimlessly. Tried to upgrade myself, pursue hobbies and be positive but cannot keep my spirits up at all to focus. Some days will just break down and cry. Sometimes think of ending things once and for all.

Sorry for the long rant. Just hoping to vent some of it out of my system.
Reply With Quote
  #1888 (permalink)  
Old Today, 07:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFuture View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience. Maybe also a form of outlet for me to vent my frustrations.

I am 33 years old. Have been unemployed for the 6 months and will likely be longer. Worked previously mostly as contract admin staff. In 2016, decided to take a part time degree course in Accounting and Finance. When my contract ended near end of 2017, I decided not to continue because it was at the end of my course and also workload was catching up. Completed my studies in December 2017.

Tried looking for accounting or finance roles in Jan 2018 but recruiters told me no experience or qualification. I was still waiting for confirmation of my results then so I took on the first contract job that was offered to me which was a 3 months contract in a bank. Bank offered to recontract for another 3 months and I took it while looking for a more permanent role.

During the time, I applied for accounting roles but some wanted immediate availability. So when my contract ended, I did not renew again, partly because of the immediate availability portion and also because my role in the bank felt a little unstable. Thought that becoming more available, I would be able to find job faster.

Now available immediately, companies said no experience so do not want to hire. Very irritating when they say no exp needed but later in interview say I got no experience. Or maybe they felt I am too old. Sent out many resumes but got rejected for most. Was offered 1 role so I relaxed a bit and did not send out resumes and even rejected some interviews. But halfway through, the company told me position was suspended by management so I basically wasted close to a month doing nothing. Felt really stupid then.

The few others that interviewed me also did not get back to me. Now, accounting roles also don't seem too stable and appealing to me anymore, especially after long period cannot find job.

Now spamming resume for about everything except sales. Not sure if I am too picky or what. Some companies say overqualified on paper. Some say no experience. And its always a waiting game to be called up for interview. Even if go interview also don't feel as confident as before and I think it affects the interview. At the back of my mind now also is if the job can be long term because scared that I will come out and become unemployed again.

Don't know what to do now. Thought that studying will open more doors for my future but now it feels like it slams down on it instead. Made so many wrong choices and regret now. Spend the day just drifting around aimlessly. Tried to upgrade myself, pursue hobbies and be positive but cannot keep my spirits up at all to focus. Some days will just break down and cry. Sometimes think of ending things once and for all.

Sorry for the long rant. Just hoping to vent some of it out of my system.
which university is your part time degree from? and why accountancy? accounting usually reserved for fresh grads from legit local universities in firms such as big4. they start with super low pay. why go into accounting when you had no prior knowledge of what the job entails?

why go reject other interviews when the offer havent confirm? you only have yourself to blame. 33 years old but mindset still like a kid. you probably will never grow out of this. have fun dealing with your childish mindset forever.
Reply With Quote
  #1889 (permalink)  
Old Today, 07:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Waaa i graduated in jul this year still unable to get jobs. So desperate that i am now turning to internships just to gain exp since all the damn entry level jobs demand for exp Zzz.

Anyone can tell me if i am going in the right path? After so long of jobhunting, i recently got offer for 3months intern for a position that i am interested in gaining exp for.

Yes its low pay but considered high for interns. Praying hard that during the 3months will get ft job offer. Cannot even face my friends and relatives coz of excessive questioning. Really cannot tahan alr.
you should have started your jobhunt way earlier back when you were studying. most smu students are taught to start jobhunting in the 2nd semester before they graduate. you too late liao. have fun enjoying the internship lol
Reply With Quote
  #1890 (permalink)  
Old Today, 07:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFuture View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience. Maybe also a form of outlet for me to vent my frustrations.

I am 33 years old. Have been unemployed for the 6 months and will likely be longer. Worked previously mostly as contract admin staff. In 2016, decided to take a part time degree course in Accounting and Finance. When my contract ended near end of 2017, I decided not to continue because it was at the end of my course and also workload was catching up. Completed my studies in December 2017.

Tried looking for accounting or finance roles in Jan 2018 but recruiters told me no experience or qualification. I was still waiting for confirmation of my results then so I took on the first contract job that was offered to me which was a 3 months contract in a bank. Bank offered to recontract for another 3 months and I took it while looking for a more permanent role.

During the time, I applied for accounting roles but some wanted immediate availability. So when my contract ended, I did not renew again, partly because of the immediate availability portion and also because my role in the bank felt a little unstable. Thought that becoming more available, I would be able to find job faster.

Now available immediately, companies said no experience so do not want to hire. Very irritating when they say no exp needed but later in interview say I got no experience. Or maybe they felt I am too old. Sent out many resumes but got rejected for most. Was offered 1 role so I relaxed a bit and did not send out resumes and even rejected some interviews. But halfway through, the company told me position was suspended by management so I basically wasted close to a month doing nothing. Felt really stupid then.

The few others that interviewed me also did not get back to me. Now, accounting roles also don't seem too stable and appealing to me anymore, especially after long period cannot find job.

Now spamming resume for about everything except sales. Not sure if I am too picky or what. Some companies say overqualified on paper. Some say no experience. And its always a waiting game to be called up for interview. Even if go interview also don't feel as confident as before and I think it affects the interview. At the back of my mind now also is if the job can be long term because scared that I will come out and become unemployed again.

Don't know what to do now. Thought that studying will open more doors for my future but now it feels like it slams down on it instead. Made so many wrong choices and regret now. Spend the day just drifting around aimlessly. Tried to upgrade myself, pursue hobbies and be positive but cannot keep my spirits up at all to focus. Some days will just break down and cry. Sometimes think of ending things once and for all.

Sorry for the long rant. Just hoping to vent some of it out of my system.

Hey i am also struggling to find a job. The only thing i can say now is to take up contract jobs to keep you busy and not suicidal. Ignore the harsh words by the commenter above. Its ok to cry to relive stress but keep on trying. If possible talk to your closest family member and use your time now to think about what to do. Once again i am in the same boat as you, i know your feelings. Hope that all will go well for us in 2019. Best wishes

And maybe reduce meeting up with too many friends to avoid any drilling questions coz most of the time ppl not in the same plight will give opinions that will confuse your decisions and in turn cause more stress... :/


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 19 26-06-2018 01:13 PM
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 60 14-06-2012 09:59 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 05:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 04:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,309 Replies, 952,065 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 53,382 Views
Estimate your peak annual income
4 Replies, 123 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
268 Replies, 197,932 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
406 Replies, 582,020 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,889 Replies, 704,652 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
568 Replies, 400,956 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
770 Replies, 540,166 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
667 Replies, 322,749 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
150 Replies, 98,967 Views
Advisable to volunteer to be...
1 Replies, 115 Views
Transportation & Car Allowance
1 Replies, 72 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,570 Replies, 3,219,696 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,416 Replies, 4,239,043 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,376 Replies, 340,432 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,016 Replies, 1,343,273 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,249 Replies, 417,787 Views
Pass degree and what to expect?
4 Replies, 282 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,040 Replies, 1,323,669 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
480 Replies, 230,923 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 51,950 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 50,968 Views
Bacground screening in interviews
6 Replies, 407 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
712 Replies, 395,773 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
249 Replies, 151,880 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,163 Replies, 553,964 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,226 Replies, 447,285 Views
Career at Exxon Mobil Finance
7 Replies, 1,683 Views
Law vs Accountancy
2 Replies, 273 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2