Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 15-12-2018, 07:02 PM
JoblessChem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have you tried to apply for MX or DXO schemes in Mindef? You should consider since you have a local university degree.
Yes i applied for Mindef. Already took the PT in Oct and only got the rejection email last week.

Been applying on Career@Gov, jobstreet, my uni portal and several other companies offical site. Even applied for diploma jobs without expecting a high salary. Not much luck in receiving interview calls or offers for full time job.

Old 15-12-2018, 07:08 PM
JoblessChem

Quote:
Sound pretty bad as you don't have interest in the degree that you are studying for. It is pretty hard to convince employers these day to hire someone out of their degree scope as they do not know whether you have the knowledge and competency to do the job. Chemistry degree is pretty niche to be honest.

I think completing contract jobs is a good start. At least it show to employer you are willing to work
Yea definitely acknowledged my bad situation but im pretty sure there are others facing worst conditions...(Me tryna be optimistic)

And yes i am currently looking towards contract jobs that can at least help my boost my resume. But such contract jobs are also hard to find lol.

Old 15-12-2018, 07:19 PM
JoblessChem

Quote:
Yo bro! heads up man, dont be disheartened. You are not alone, many of us here also walked through this path.

Since you already decided on jobs that requires any discipline degree, can consider uniformed group? Like Home Team, join a few years than leave for other jobs. Or like what one user mentioned, can consider DXO positions too.

Cheers!
Haha yea thx for the support man. I did apply for them unfortunately no calls yet. I actually do have interest in healthcare or airline industry but have no related background and experience (already applied for the deg/dip in any discipline positions).
I even applied for internships but since i alr graduated even the companies dont want me haiz.

Based on some interviews, currently having a degree is either considered overqualified or not having enough experience lol.
Hopefully the job market will be better in the coming new year

Old 15-12-2018, 09:40 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessChem View Post
Haha yea thx for the support man. I did apply for them unfortunately no calls yet. I actually do have interest in healthcare or airline industry but have no related background and experience (already applied for the deg/dip in any discipline positions).
I even applied for internships but since i alr graduated even the companies dont want me haiz.

Based on some interviews, currently having a degree is either considered overqualified or not having enough experience lol.
You are not alone. Plenty of fresh graduates are jobless, including myself. Finding a job with long term career progression is tough. Market is just filled with graduates but the number of openings are just limited. It's like for every 50 people, all vying for 1 job. 1 will get the job while the other 49 eat grass.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Actually you are right. I am bachelor accounting finance degree and i am trying to leave the industry just like you but quite unsuccessful in doing that. For account job most require 2 to 3 years experiences and most companies do not want fresh hire. I have been doing that for the past 9 months but failed to convince my employers on why i wanted to leave the industry. Truth be told, even account degree are no longer that glamorous as before. Most interview i went. They either told me i don't have experience or my degree doesn't really match that job. So oh well...
Old 17-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes i applied for Mindef. Already took the PT in Oct and only got the rejection email last week.

Been applying on Career@Gov, jobstreet, my uni portal and several other companies offical site. Even applied for diploma jobs without expecting a high salary. Not much luck in receiving interview calls or offers for full time job.
Hi.

My advice to you would be to take up part time job rather than doing full time job. Tbh your degree is hard to convince employer to hire you full time.

You can try applying for career gov. I think that would help too

Old 17-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Quote:
Actually you are right. I am bachelor accounting finance degree and i am trying to leave the industry just like you but quite unsuccessful in doing that. For account job most require 2 to 3 years experiences and most companies do not want fresh hire. I have been doing that for the past 9 months but failed to convince my employers on why i wanted to leave the industry. Truth be told, even account degree are no longer that glamorous as before. Most interview i went. They either told me i don't have experience or my degree doesn't really match that job. So oh well...
Are you from a local uni? It is quite sad to hear a finance accounting degree holder hard to find job since its a skill that is needed in all companies unlike chemistry. I knew of someone who got a job immediately after she graduated with an honours in accounting.

Maybe you can try applying to SMEs. If you have done so, then i guess right now it depends on luck...

Suay la companies want exp, but no one hiring ppl with no exp so unable to gain exp. In the end, they hire FT with false transcripts (true cases witnessed by my siblings and relatives). Best solution provided by our caring country leaders.
Old 17-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are not alone. Plenty of fresh graduates are jobless, including myself. Finding a job with long term career progression is tough. Market is just filled with graduates but the number of openings are just limited. It's like for every 50 people, all vying for 1 job. 1 will get the job while the other 49 eat grass.
What did you major in?
Old 19-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you from a local uni? It is quite sad to hear a finance accounting degree holder hard to find job since its a skill that is needed in all companies unlike chemistry. I knew of someone who got a job immediately after she graduated with an honours in accounting.

Maybe you can try applying to SMEs. If you have done so, then i guess right now it depends on luck...

Suay la companies want exp, but no one hiring ppl with no exp so unable to gain exp. In the end, they hire FT with false transcripts (true cases witnessed by my siblings and relatives). Best solution provided by our caring country leaders.
Now anf industry is no longer iron rice bowl. Because any tom dick harry can just apply for acca kaplan. This mean the industry is very competitive. And also, not forgetting the ft that is going to low ball your celery to the minimum. So the minimum entry can be raised to maybe 1 or 2 years experience for basic entry level. Accounting industry is flooded by foreigners whether you believe it or not. That why the grading for local U accountancy have dropped.
Audit is even worse. Most company only willing to pay 1.8k 1.9k for entry level. You either take it or leave it unless you go big 4.

Not forgeting the fact that 1 company only need 1 accountant. So job for account is quite limited.
Old 22-12-2018, 01:32 AM
Unregistered

Angry

Waaa i graduated in jul this year still unable to get jobs. So desperate that i am now turning to internships just to gain exp since all the damn entry level jobs demand for exp Zzz.

Anyone can tell me if i am going in the right path? After so long of jobhunting, i recently got offer for 3months intern for a position that i am interested in gaining exp for.

Yes its low pay but considered high for interns. Praying hard that during the 3months will get ft job offer. Cannot even face my friends and relatives coz of excessive questioning. Really cannot tahan alr.