Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 15-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My current employer is closing down end of this year. I am 42 years old and no phone call from recruiters for the last two months after sending out 25 job applications.

How is the employment markets now ?

Please advise

Regards,

Ben Chan
The market is good for those that have skills in demand like data analytics, cybersecurity etc.
poor for most other segments. too many candidates for limited good jobs.
employers market now - I have a general opening and have close to 100 applications in just 1 week. many have deep experience but they do not add to my team much ( just more years of same capabilities). I need someone with new skills that my team does not have and eventually hired a young person with a few years experience in the skills that my team needed.

Old 16-08-2018, 12:10 PM

1drowssap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I will be honest also... I am minority race and have trouble finding jobs. Cannot confirm if they are not hiring me for positions cos I am of a certain minority race, but when comparing to my peers who applied for the same jobs and who have less internships (in terms of both quality and quantity) and also who have lower GPA and academic awards - there may be a slight disadvantage maybe because of perhaps the so-called cultural fit. Fyi I am a fresh grad from local uni with GPA very close to 1st class. Have been applying for 6 months now.

And it may not because of my interviewing skills as well, cos from knowing these peers in class, the way they articulate their thoughts and from the substance of their words, I am relatively better than them at talking.

So you must try your best not to get disappointed too much and keep pushing on. Must try harder to stand out from the rest of the candidate pool, more so cos of possibility of cultural fit disadvantage.
Referring to post #1781, the strangest part about your story that I can't find believable, is that given your background, you should be able to get quite a few job offers.

I really don't think race is the most important factor when not hiring you. It probably is due to things like lack of relevant job experience. The reason being is a lot of people in your profile, i.e. local grad, near to 1st class hons, would easily be able to get a job a few months before graduation.

A little bit about me, I am a prospective student for a private uni(i.e. I will already be in a much worse position compared to you). If you can't get a job, then I can't either by your logic. After trawling through so many posts, I have learnt two things that are very important in the work place for a fresh grad.

1. Your uni prestige
2. Your degree classification

You have both. So it really seems like a mystery to me that you can't get a job, let alone a good job.

So this only leads to a few conclusions.

One. You are aiming way to high. I can't really expand more since I am quite new to this. This probably could mean working in a Front Office of a foreign bank or something. Or maybe working for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or some other prestigious ministry like MOF. Anyone reading, correct me if I make any mistakes.

Two. You don't have the relevant skills or job experience. From what I hear, many students get opportunities to do placements and things like that at NUS. So this means that either you didn't take your placements seriously, or had a change of heart and wanted to pursue some other career option that you had no chance to gain experience in at your placement.

I can't see any other real reasons for them to reject you.
Either ways, more work experience can't hinder you. If you can tolerate it financially, be an unpaid intern at your dream job or something. It is better than just randomly applying for jobs.

Old 16-08-2018, 01:06 PM
JoblessMan023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1drowssap View Post
Referring to post #1781, the strangest part about your story that I can't find believable, is that given your background, you should be able to get quite a few job offers.

I really don't think race is the most important factor when not hiring you. It probably is due to things like lack of relevant job experience. The reason being is a lot of people in your profile, i.e. local grad, near to 1st class hons, would easily be able to get a job a few months before graduation.

A little bit about me, I am a prospective student for a private uni(i.e. I will already be in a much worse position compared to you). If you can't get a job, then I can't either by your logic. After trawling through so many posts, I have learnt two things that are very important in the work place for a fresh grad.

1. Your uni prestige

You have both. So it really seems like a mystery to me that you can't get a job, let alone a good job.

One. You are aiming way to high. I can't really expand more since I am quite new to this. This probably could mean working in a Front Office of a foreign bank or something. Or maybe working for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or some other prestigious ministry like MOF. Anyone reading, correct me if I make any mistakes.

Two. You don't have the relevant skills or job experience. From what I hear, many students get opportunities to do placements and things like that at NUS. So this means that either you didn't take your placements seriously, or had a change of heart and wanted to pursue some other career option that you had no chance to gain experience in at your placement.

Either ways, more work experience can't hinder you. If you can tolerate it financially, be an unpaid intern at your dream job or something. It is better than just randomly applying for jobs.
I agree with what you say. No way would a local U good degree classification with local U degree would not be able to find job. Not trying to sound sour but the truth is, local U grad got civil sector and pte sector to look for jobs. So the world is their oyster. Pte degree can forget about getting a job in civil sector.

The reason why he cant find a job was probably because1) his degree is too niche.2) expectation of salaries and benefits is too high. 3)he is not trying hard enough

For pte degree accounting grad like me, it is hard to even secure a interview in basic admin position in NTU NUS. I dont even get calls from them. Account assistant job in pte firm all require experience and most firm doesnt hire fresh grad. And you are left with audit position that are mostly taken up by foreigners asking for much lower wages. There is nowhere else you can go.

Old 16-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

1. Your uni prestige

You are right. Even if market outlook is down. He still got civil sector to go to.
Old 16-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Verified Member

JoblessGrad is on a distinguished road

Hi all. I am currently actively seeking for jobs for close to 3 months. I have a private degree from sim rmit. The jobs out there are very disappointing in the logistics and supply chain industry. There are few jobs out there for a uni grad, most of it dont require much experience, at most a diploma will do. I am very disheartened and I am at a loss. Anyone in the same shoes as me?
Old 16-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

1. Your uni prestige

I agree with what you say. If he got good honour in local U cant find jobs. Then what about those from Pte U students?

There is only a few possibilities

1)His degree is probably too niche or 2)His salary expectation too high or 3)he is not trying hard enough.

For local U good classification honours, the world is their oyster. Even if market outlook is down, you got civil sector to look at. Unlike for Pte degree where you cant even get a interview in civil sector

For accounting pte grad like me, i even try applying basic admin job position to NUS NTU, no calls from them.
Account assistant role is filled with people who have 10 20 years experience in the market and audit role is filled with foreigners. I may sound sour and dumb but that is the truth. It is really hard for pte U grad to find job in this market outlook.

Old 16-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessGrad View Post
Hi all. I am currently actively seeking for jobs for close to 3 months. I have a private degree from sim rmit. The jobs out there are very disappointing in the logistics and supply chain industry. There are few jobs out there for a uni grad, most of it dont require much experience, at most a diploma will do. I am very disheartened and I am at a loss. Anyone in the same shoes as me?
You are not alone. Pte grad is really hard to get jobs now. Prepared to drive grab and do long term part time job. Economy doesnt seem to be looking well.
Old 16-08-2018, 01:40 PM
Verified Member

JoblessGrad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are not alone. Pte grad is really hard to get jobs now. Prepared to drive grab and do long term part time job. Economy doesnt seem to be looking well.

This is very depressing tbh. I also regret my decision to study pte degree. Can't apply for civil service, and pte sector dont even have much jobs. Even if go interview also countless of much more experienced people.
Old 16-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessGrad View Post
This is very depressing tbh. I also regret my decision to study pte degree. Can't apply for civil service, and pte sector dont even have much jobs. Even if go interview also countless of much more experienced people.
At least local U got internship. Pte U no internship at all. Even more disadvantage.
Old 16-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

1. Your uni prestige

Ok but even for intern positions are tougher and harder to get interview calls. It is just a matter of luck.