Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 150 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1491 (permalink)  
Old 31-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What to do when one is jobless and applying for a job just to pay the bills, but are not actually very enthusiastic or passionate about the job?

I am sure this happens everywhere and is a common thing. People pretend or act interested and enthusiastic during interview?

Reply With Quote
  #1492 (permalink)  
Old 31-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What to do when one is jobless and applying for a job just to pay the bills, but are not actually very enthusiastic or passionate about the job?

I am sure this happens everywhere and is a common thing. People pretend or act interested and enthusiastic during interview?
How old are you? How many children do you have?

Reply With Quote
  #1493 (permalink)  
Old 31-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How old are you? How many children do you have?
Do people behave differently at different age and if they have/don't have children?

Reply With Quote
  #1494 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone got terminated because the company wants to save costs ?

I just got terminated cos company hire interns to do the jobs and the costs is so much cheaper. The company just hired a very experienced staff and her salary is above $4k if I am not wrong and also pays $4,500 for a new Associate. Me and another long-time staff were the ones working the longest there. Now I got terminated and replaced by one intern.
Reply With Quote
  #1495 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What to do when one is jobless and applying for a job just to pay the bills, but are not actually very enthusiastic or passionate about the job?

I am sure this happens everywhere and is a common thing. People pretend or act interested and enthusiastic during interview?
The interviewers never pretend to act interested and enthusiastic during interview meh ? Then gives you wrong impression as if you got high chance end up no news from them.

Same same la.
Reply With Quote
  #1496 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default How long do you get to be employed ?

Hi anyone here just got a job? Do you guys know the maximum duration to be employed either in banking or oil and gas industries??
Reply With Quote

  #1497 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

SMU Specialist Diploma in International Trading
://iti.smu.edu.sg/professional-programme/international-trading-pcp-non-commodity
Reply With Quote
  #1498 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2016, 11:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi all, I have been jobless for the past 2 - 3 months.

Applied for jobs almost every other day and went for maybe 10-12 interviews during this period. I would say the job market is really quite bad now - even the recruitment agents told me so. I've finally secured a job and would like to share my observations and tips to all who are still job hunting ~

1) Work out a routine and stick to it
Unemployment can be very depressing. You wake up and there's a whole day ahead with nothing to do. You probably waste the day away by playing games or watching dramas or movies. At least I did. Until I told myself to not be so negative and start a routine. Try to do some exercise, make your own meals (keep healthy), upgrade your skills by taking free courses online, some leisure time, meet with friends and have a social life and definitely check out the job portals everyday.

2) Plan your finance wisely
I had savings when I left my job and didn't think money is an issue at all. But bills, insurance, money to parents, spending on outings can come up to quite a big amount if you can't find work for a few months. While I was job hunting, I also cleared out my wardrobe and drawers, and listed items i don't need for sale on carousell. It's a good way to make some cash too. One can also consider doing some part time work to supplement the income, but do remember that your focus is still finding a full-time position.

3) Use JobStreet for insights on your competitors
For every job you apply, you can see who else has applied - eg. how many applicants (local and foreign), their current job titles, salary, education level and years of experience. It's important to know your competitors, and whether what you're asking for is realistic. Say, if you're a fresh graduate with no experience asking for 3K, and your competitors are people with degree, experience and asking for 3K, who is the company more likely to pick?

4) Update your resume
Your resume is the very first thing the HR Department look at. It's that piece of paper that determines whether you get called down for an interview or not. Look up some sample templates and see if there's any way you can make it look better. And always include a photo with your resume, ALWAYS.

5) Work on your interviewing techniques
Are you good at talking? Some people aren't. If you have been to several interviews, or second interviews, and don't end up getting selected... don't think that you're not good enough based on qualifications or experience. You could have done better at convincing them that you can do the job. Practise in front of the mirror or even with a friend. Make yourself sound confident and enthusiastic about the jobs you used to do!

6) Be selective, not picky
I think everyone would love to work for MNCs, big companies... same for me. Thus I applied only for bigger brands and only manage to send out a few applications every day. Try SMEs where the competition is lower and you'll have a higher chance of success.

I've went for 2 job openings where there was a 1st and 2nd interview. For both, I was so sure of getting the job, but I didn't hear from the HR in the end so I felt very played out... and that they wasted my time.

The job offer that I just received - I went for the interview on Friday morning and got offered on the following Monday afternoon. And it's a big company too. So don't feel despondent. Try as many interviews as you can, and you'll find a company that feels that you're the right fit.

Good luck to everyone who's on a job search!
Reply With Quote
  #1499 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, I have been jobless for the past 2 - 3 months.

Applied for jobs almost every other day and went for maybe 10-12 interviews during this period. I would say the job market is really quite bad now - even the recruitment agents told me so. I've finally secured a job and would like to share my observations and tips to all who are still job hunting ~

1) Work out a routine and stick to it
Unemployment can be very depressing. You wake up and there's a whole day ahead with nothing to do. You probably waste the day away by playing games or watching dramas or movies. At least I did. Until I told myself to not be so negative and start a routine. Try to do some exercise, make your own meals (keep healthy), upgrade your skills by taking free courses online, some leisure time, meet with friends and have a social life and definitely check out the job portals everyday.

2) Plan your finance wisely
I had savings when I left my job and didn't think money is an issue at all. But bills, insurance, money to parents, spending on outings can come up to quite a big amount if you can't find work for a few months. While I was job hunting, I also cleared out my wardrobe and drawers, and listed items i don't need for sale on carousell. It's a good way to make some cash too. One can also consider doing some part time work to supplement the income, but do remember that your focus is still finding a full-time position.

3) Use JobStreet for insights on your competitors
For every job you apply, you can see who else has applied - eg. how many applicants (local and foreign), their current job titles, salary, education level and years of experience. It's important to know your competitors, and whether what you're asking for is realistic. Say, if you're a fresh graduate with no experience asking for 3K, and your competitors are people with degree, experience and asking for 3K, who is the company more likely to pick?

4) Update your resume
Your resume is the very first thing the HR Department look at. It's that piece of paper that determines whether you get called down for an interview or not. Look up some sample templates and see if there's any way you can make it look better. And always include a photo with your resume, ALWAYS.

5) Work on your interviewing techniques
Are you good at talking? Some people aren't. If you have been to several interviews, or second interviews, and don't end up getting selected... don't think that you're not good enough based on qualifications or experience. You could have done better at convincing them that you can do the job. Practise in front of the mirror or even with a friend. Make yourself sound confident and enthusiastic about the jobs you used to do!

6) Be selective, not picky
I think everyone would love to work for MNCs, big companies... same for me. Thus I applied only for bigger brands and only manage to send out a few applications every day. Try SMEs where the competition is lower and you'll have a higher chance of success.

I've went for 2 job openings where there was a 1st and 2nd interview. For both, I was so sure of getting the job, but I didn't hear from the HR in the end so I felt very played out... and that they wasted my time.

The job offer that I just received - I went for the interview on Friday morning and got offered on the following Monday afternoon. And it's a big company too. So don't feel despondent. Try as many interviews as you can, and you'll find a company that feels that you're the right fit.

Good luck to everyone who's on a job search!
Thanks for the positive advice !
Reply With Quote
  #1500 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes, the job market is bad, I was in a sales role in a japanese mnc. i was asked to leave by my team manager due to almost zero sales results when I was just 3 months on the field, I felt played out by this manager when I left my previous company in the same industry to join which had better reputation by customers. I sent out hundreds of application, went for countless interviews during these difficult periods, applied for sales roles in other similar industries, I admit I was also picky of the small scale SME cos having been working with MNCs for more than 6 years I worry about "face value" if my ex colleagues were to ask me where am I working now. I wanted so badly to join a particular US MNC, went for 2nd interview but tough luck my hopes were dashed. Also went for interview with a top competitor company only to be fished for free competitive information by the sales manager whom had no intention to hire me at all when I admit I was forced to leave, I left the interview feeling waste of my time at all and never will I want to join companies in this industry.

I am now employed in an SME not in sales role but on technical expertise in the engineering field, this company is also experiencing downturn with it's orders, but luckily still can keep afloat with other sectors.

to fellow bros out there, wish you all best of luck
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 48 01-07-2020 03:43 PM
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 60 14-06-2012 08:59 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 04:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 03:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,299 Replies, 910,068 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,657 Replies, 2,623,393 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,067 Replies, 1,287,324 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,677 Replies, 1,611,200 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,200 Replies, 974,252 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 2,394 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,921 Replies, 1,087,413 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
166 Replies, 77,732 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
72 Replies, 112,781 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
394 Replies, 251,836 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,122 Replies, 5,594,213 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,299 Replies, 1,911,548 Views
Credit Risk Salary
0 Replies, 58 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,797 Replies, 274,282 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
106 Replies, 14,933 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
2 Replies, 1,487 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 4,350 Views
Anyone work for Casino (RWS/MBS) ?... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 8,828 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
690 Replies, 212,759 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 13,510 Views
Tax ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 3,690 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,635 Replies, 784,877 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
396 Replies, 288,542 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 22,560 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
462 Replies, 88,483 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 3,123 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,091 Replies, 501,198 Views
Ceca
2 Replies, 312 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2