Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 101 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1001 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi all, would like to get some advice. recently started a new job in nov, but i realized it was not what i had expected and enjoy. pay is ok but not learning much with little to do. the only reason i took up my current job was because of office politics in my previous job, where i was forced to leave. i only worked at my previous job for 1yr and my current for 1mth plus. I would like to change job again but am afraid i would look like a job hopper with no commitment. what is a good way around this? should i disclose my current 1 mth status? tot of quiting w/o a job but everyone say it is not advisable. i am only 23 yrs old, local uni grad.
Try to hang around for at least 1-2 years. The global economy is slowing down significantly and it is not really that easy to get a job fast and hoping around with short stints laterally at entry level just make the CV worse.

Reply With Quote
  #1002 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 64
aplover is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi all, would like to get some advice. recently started a new job in nov, but i realized it was not what i had expected and enjoy. pay is ok but not learning much with little to do. the only reason i took up my current job was because of office politics in my previous job, where i was forced to leave. i only worked at my previous job for 1yr and my current for 1mth plus. I would like to change job again but am afraid i would look like a job hopper with no commitment. what is a good way around this? should i disclose my current 1 mth status? tot of quiting w/o a job but everyone say it is not advisable. i am only 23 yrs old, local uni grad.
Actually you do not have commitment, that's why you want to jump again. Not every job is going to be perfect. you should at least give it 6months to try it out. Then see how it goes. If really after 6months, things are beyond your control to change things, then i think you can seriously consider changing job.

If you say that your current job doesn't have much to learn why not you push for more things to be done? Ask for more duties/responsibilities. Do more, suggest more, volunteer more. Then next year you can justify a nice big increment for yourself.

Reply With Quote
  #1003 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2
oryon is on a distinguished road
Default

We are DIRECT EMPLOYER and looking for Full Time Corporate Sales Executive. Our office located near MacPherson MRT station and we believe in work life balance, so our office hour from Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm.

CORPORATE SALES JOB DESCRIPTION
• . Manage and grow a geographical sales territory by developing existing customers and winning new accounts.
• . Positive, committed and hardworking
• . No experience required as training will be provided
• . Basic Salary + Commission.

REQUIREMENTS:
• . Singaporean/ Singapore PR
• . N/O Levels/ITE/Diploma holder

* Kindly forward detailed resume including expected salary and availability to commence work to [email protected]
*We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.

Reply With Quote
  #1004 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplover View Post
Actually you do not have commitment, that's why you want to jump again. Not every job is going to be perfect. you should at least give it 6months to try it out. Then see how it goes. If really after 6months, things are beyond your control to change things, then i think you can seriously consider changing job.

If you say that your current job doesn't have much to learn why not you push for more things to be done? Ask for more duties/responsibilities. Do more, suggest more, volunteer more. Then next year you can justify a nice big increment for yourself.
i tried asking my boss for more things to do but have mostly been doing admin things. not much value add at all. dont feel i am learning much. realized my predecessor only lasted 2mths and the previous less than a year. feel that this job is a dead end job. Will it be better to quit now w/o a job? difficult to go for interviews with current job.
Reply With Quote
  #1005 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i tried asking my boss for more things to do but have mostly been doing admin things. not much value add at all. dont feel i am learning much. realized my predecessor only lasted 2mths and the previous less than a year. feel that this job is a dead end job. Will it be better to quit now w/o a job? difficult to go for interviews with current job.
A job is not just about making money. A job must be meaningful. Why not join nursing? It is a meaningful job as you are serving humanity.
Reply With Quote
  #1006 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A job is not just about making money. A job must be meaningful. Why not join nursing? It is a meaningful job as you are serving humanity.
Not many jobs are actually meaningful to a person. Depends on the person. Even desk bound job can be meaningful to a person if that is what a person wants to do only.

Being a teacher is also meaningful but not for everyone if they do not have the passion to teach. Likewise for nursing, it may be meaningful but if you do not have the passion to help patients change diapers, wipe their vomit, etc. then sorry, this is not the job for you even if it is a meaningful job.
Reply With Quote

  #1007 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Even a job doing photocopying all day is meaningful. Someone has to do it. You must convince yourself that if no one does the photocopying, how can we conduct our meetings without the materials. Even the janitor is doing a meaningful job as he makes sure you have clean toilets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not many jobs are actually meaningful to a person. Depends on the person. Even desk bound job can be meaningful to a person if that is what a person wants to do only.

Being a teacher is also meaningful but not for everyone if they do not have the passion to teach. Likewise for nursing, it may be meaningful but if you do not have the passion to help patients change diapers, wipe their vomit, etc. then sorry, this is not the job for you even if it is a meaningful job.
Reply With Quote
  #1008 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A job is not just about making money. A job must be meaningful. Why not join nursing? It is a meaningful job as you are serving humanity.

are you a nurse? do you clear **** before breakfast and lunch..
see blood before drink your favourite watermelon tomato juice..

if not don't anyhow comment... else you
Reply With Quote
  #1009 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
are you a nurse? do you clear **** before breakfast and lunch..
see blood before drink your favourite watermelon tomato juice..

if not don't anyhow comment... else you

opps.... S!ht was starred x 4
Reply With Quote
  #1010 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i tried asking my boss for more things to do but have mostly been doing admin things. not much value add at all. dont feel i am learning much. realized my predecessor only lasted 2mths and the previous less than a year. feel that this job is a dead end job. Will it be better to quit now w/o a job? difficult to go for interviews with current job.
Hey there, I actually experienced similar things and I can understand that agony of being in the wrong job. I am also a fresh local Uni grad and I got into my first job that was totally not suitable for me. There are stuffs to learn but definitely not relevant and not aligned with my future career goals. I also thought of quitting my job first, so that I will have time to find other jobs. Well, you can do this if earning money right now is not your priority, and you most probably have to remove your current job experience from your resume as one month plus wouldn't look good. I agree that applying leaves to go for interviews was a tough feat, especially when you apply for MNCs which may require several rounds. And that was what I did and lucky for me that I managed to find a more ideal job. I would advise you not to quit first and just continue applying for jobs and take leaves to go for interviews. This will be a "safer" choice since you can secure another job before quitting. Just need to be more hardworking, haha. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 19 26-06-2018 12:13 PM
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 60 14-06-2012 08:59 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 04:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 04:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 03:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
564 Replies, 632,482 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,455 Replies, 378,674 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,252 Replies, 1,407,257 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
890 Replies, 117,371 Views
OCBC Bank Teller Salary and...
3 Replies, 239 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
730 Replies, 421,798 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,769 Replies, 4,461,213 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,051 Replies, 764,507 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
686 Replies, 341,799 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 4,134 Views
Who determines CEP
5 Replies, 951 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 48,682 Views
SIA executive role
6 Replies, 1,149 Views
Fresh degree grad salary... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 5,710 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 4,001 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 2,807 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,583 Replies, 1,070,338 Views
Which market should I trade in?
3 Replies, 2,907 Views
You Can Buy Happiness
3 Replies, 1,970 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
74 Replies, 20,219 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,244 Replies, 604,531 Views
Fail to start work given by...
0 Replies, 215 Views
Migration to Canada
0 Replies, 160 Views
Recession Coming ? IBM just...
2 Replies, 595 Views
Job sg come see & ask
2 Replies, 280 Views
Sla ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 14,120 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,193 Replies, 1,480,534 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2