Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 190 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 17-01-2019, 11:54 PM
Unregistered

Hi all, need some advice here.. I've stopped work for about 8 months to spend more time with my kid and I'm now thinking of going back to work. I had been in my last job for abt 4.5yrs before resigning, so meaning the last time i looked for jobs was abt 5 years ago. May I know how's the market now and which website should I go to look for jobs, other than the normal jobstreet website? Anything else i should take note of? Thanks.

Old 18-01-2019, 08:06 AM

DarkFuture is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
which university is your part time degree from? and why accountancy? accounting usually reserved for fresh grads from legit local universities in firms such as big4. they start with super low pay. why go into accounting when you had no prior knowledge of what the job entails?

why go reject other interviews when the offer havent confirm? you only have yourself to blame. 33 years old but mindset still like a kid. you probably will never grow out of this. have fun dealing with your childish mindset forever.
You are absolutely right. That is why I am reflecting on it so I will not make any excuse for my actions. I try to take it as a learning experience but it can be emotionally draining. Thank you for your feedback.

Quote:
Hey i am also struggling to find a job. The only thing i can say now is to take up contract jobs to keep you busy and not suicidal. Ignore the harsh words by the commenter above. Its ok to cry to relive stress but keep on trying. If possible talk to your closest family member and use your time now to think about what to do. Once again i am in the same boat as you, i know your feelings. Hope that all will go well for us in 2019. Best wishes

And maybe reduce meeting up with too many friends to avoid any drilling questions coz most of the time ppl not in the same plight will give opinions that will confuse your decisions and in turn cause more stress... :/
Thank you for your kind words. Sorry to hear that you are struggling too. Yes, it can be emotionally draining. There are some good days and some bad days. Looking for contract roles too. Hopefully may lead to something better and stabler. All the best in your search. Yes, hope it will go better for us in 2019.

Old 18-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Unregistered

It depend what profession you are into and what much you willingly to take home each month. Market nowadays are still not very good, many uni students are working on contract basis and full time offer salary is as low as $2K per mth b4 CPF deduction.

Old 19-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

guys help me out.

i have an overseas degree from UK. i am a fresh grad. Been unemployed for 6 months. I am getting more sick and tired from hearing people being unemployed especially those who are fresh grad. i hv no experience.

It seems the current job market now caters to people who have poly diploma/higher nitec and I have none of them.

I have contacted professional career counsellors and they advised me to hide my degree on resume for particular jobs that asks for O level or diploma as this technique helps to tackle the problem of becoming overqualified. But If I hide my degree, I am only left with O level and my foundation degree certificate (I did before degree for entrance) is pretty much useless to singapore.

I did my O levels here and got my foundation degree in UK and progressed to study a degree there in UK. I spent a fortune on my studies in UK to have completed my education but I realised that my degree is so useless. I only called for interviews once or once every two months. It is so bad. I apply like 100 jobs every month (20 application per week). I only get recruitment agents calling me to repeat my job requirement. I am even ok with basic salary 1.8K. I just want a job. Sick and tired being at home.

Its either u have experience or have diploma. This or that.

I want to study diploma or some course that could potentially enhance my employability. Not sure what I should study. Any tips?

P.S I have a degree in psych Bsc hons 2:2 and looking for corporate customer service
Old 23-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Blueberry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFuture View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience. Maybe also a form of outlet for me to vent my frustrations.

I am 33 years old. Have been unemployed for the 6 months and will likely be longer. Worked previously mostly as contract admin staff. In 2016, decided to take a part time degree course in Accounting and Finance. When my contract ended near end of 2017, I decided not to continue because it was at the end of my course and also workload was catching up. Completed my studies in December 2017.

Tried looking for accounting or finance roles in Jan 2018 but recruiters told me no experience or qualification. I was still waiting for confirmation of my results then so I took on the first contract job that was offered to me which was a 3 months contract in a bank. Bank offered to recontract for another 3 months and I took it while looking for a more permanent role.

During the time, I applied for accounting roles but some wanted immediate availability. So when my contract ended, I did not renew again, partly because of the immediate availability portion and also because my role in the bank felt a little unstable. Thought that becoming more available, I would be able to find job faster.

Now available immediately, companies said no experience so do not want to hire. Very irritating when they say no exp needed but later in interview say I got no experience. Or maybe they felt I am too old. Sent out many resumes but got rejected for most. Was offered 1 role so I relaxed a bit and did not send out resumes and even rejected some interviews. But halfway through, the company told me position was suspended by management so I basically wasted close to a month doing nothing. Felt really stupid then.

The few others that interviewed me also did not get back to me. Now, accounting roles also don't seem too stable and appealing to me anymore, especially after long period cannot find job.

Now spamming resume for about everything except sales. Not sure if I am too picky or what. Some companies say overqualified on paper. Some say no experience. And its always a waiting game to be called up for interview. Even if go interview also don't feel as confident as before and I think it affects the interview. At the back of my mind now also is if the job can be long term because scared that I will come out and become unemployed again.

Don't know what to do now. Thought that studying will open more doors for my future but now it feels like it slams down on it instead. Made so many wrong choices and regret now. Spend the day just drifting around aimlessly. Tried to upgrade myself, pursue hobbies and be positive but cannot keep my spirits up at all to focus. Some days will just break down and cry. Sometimes think of ending things once and for all.

Sorry for the long rant. Just hoping to vent some of it out of my system.
Hey there,

Yes, it is really frustrating and and demoralising but do not give up hope and 'Sometimes think of ending things once and for all '. Being jobless is not as serious as coming down with life-threatening disease. You learn from interviews. And you should, by now, realise that this is a practical world. You need qualifications and experience. Make sure you give a good reason why you do not have experience. Everyone starts from zero experience. If every company reject non-experienced ppl, then noone will be even going to work at all. lol

Please be strong and stay strong. Keep trying.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience. Maybe also a form of outlet for me to vent my frustrations.

I am 33 years old. Have been unemployed for the 6 months and will likely be longer. Worked previously mostly as contract admin staff. In 2016, decided to take a part time degree course in Accounting and Finance. When my contract ended near end of 2017, I decided not to continue because it was at the end of my course and also workload was catching up. Completed my studies in December 2017.

Tried looking for accounting or finance roles in Jan 2018 but recruiters told me no experience or qualification. I was still waiting for confirmation of my results then so I took on the first contract job that was offered to me which was a 3 months contract in a bank. Bank offered to recontract for another 3 months and I took it while looking for a more permanent role.

During the time, I applied for accounting roles but some wanted immediate availability. So when my contract ended, I did not renew again, partly because of the immediate availability portion and also because my role in the bank felt a little unstable. Thought that becoming more available, I would be able to find job faster.

Now available immediately, companies said no experience so do not want to hire. Very irritating when they say no exp needed but later in interview say I got no experience. Or maybe they felt I am too old. Sent out many resumes but got rejected for most. Was offered 1 role so I relaxed a bit and did not send out resumes and even rejected some interviews. But halfway through, the company told me position was suspended by management so I basically wasted close to a month doing nothing. Felt really stupid then.

The few others that interviewed me also did not get back to me. Now, accounting roles also don't seem too stable and appealing to me anymore, especially after long period cannot find job.

Now spamming resume for about everything except sales. Not sure if I am too picky or what. Some companies say overqualified on paper. Some say no experience. And its always a waiting game to be called up for interview. Even if go interview also don't feel as confident as before and I think it affects the interview. At the back of my mind now also is if the job can be long term because scared that I will come out and become unemployed again.

Don't know what to do now. Thought that studying will open more doors for my future but now it feels like it slams down on it instead. Made so many wrong choices and regret now. Spend the day just drifting around aimlessly. Tried to upgrade myself, pursue hobbies and be positive but cannot keep my spirits up at all to focus. Some days will just break down and cry. Sometimes think of ending things once and for all.

Bro. Accounting is a sunset industry. Better start looking out of the horizon to seek better alternatives. Audit industry need to commit OT frequently. You sure that is what u want? For accounting industry, most want experienced hire. If you do not have minimum experience, company usually won't hire

Old 08-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Bro. Accounting is a sunset industry. Better start looking out of the horizon to seek better alternatives. Audit industry need to commit OT frequently. You sure that is what u want? For accounting industry, most want experienced hire. If you do not have minimum experience, company usually won't hire
Also accounting software you need to know. There are quite alot of accounting software. Even if you know how to do full sets of account. Do you know how to use accounting software?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 10-02-2019, 01:23 AM
Unregistered

Angry

Quote:
ok I don't understand this. every company wants people with accounting experience. people need a job to gain experience. however, the same people also need experience to get the job. How?!

Also, when the turnover rate for accounts/audit role is so high, i would think the logical move by companies would be to give candidates a chance when they demonstrate keen interest in the job. And if the companies don't want to give all these eager candidates a chance, then they have no business complaining to their MPs or business chambers that it's so bloody hard to hire people.

after job hunting for so long, i really think that companies (HR and line managers alike) don't know what they want. Think about it. When people resign, it's usually due to push factors such as toxic work environment, crappy bosses, poor remuneration for crazy work load. How many people actually quit because they lack experience and cannot do the job?! Recruitment should be focused on the person's general aptitude and attitude.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

you can take this job hunting process as a learning experience
some suggestion is that to stay employ while looking for jobs, if you have the skill sets and ace your interview, most company will wait 1mth for you
another thing is to keep looking for jobs until you confirm sign on the letter of offer

if you really want to go into accounting, can try account assistant role first to gain the experience and further to move up to account executive etc
if you want to stay in bank job also can since you already have the experience but most bank are freezing headcount

just dun give up sending resume and have to show the positive side during interview

PS: I am also jobess for 6mth after grad during the financial crisis and have to settle for a part time job at a bank, but managed to find a perm role after 4mths
Old 14-02-2019, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

I can get some interviews but I can’t nail the job..I speak fine generally...feel a little nervous at times....are employers looking for a near perfect fit?