Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Sakae Sushi Dishwasher Makes 3k (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2179-sakae-sushi-dishwasher-makes-3k.html)

Salary.sg 13-09-2012 10:21 PM

Sakae Sushi Dishwasher Makes 3k

The CEO of Sakae Sushi, Douglas Foo, has revealed to the media that his sushi chain has a hard time filling dishwasher positions even after offering a S$3,000 per month salary.

Sakae Sushi's job offer sheds light on job expectations - inSing.com

I think it makes white-collar workers and fresh university graduates here even more disillusioned with their earning abilities. Cars and condos (and even HDB flats) are already beyond their reach, and now the knowledge that dishwashers can earn $3k just washing dishes is another slap in their face. :)

$3,000 to wash dishes: Sakae Sushi

Unregistered 14-09-2012 08:23 PM

If university graduates and white collar workers are complaining that a dishwasher is earning close to what they are making, then they should consider trading their cushy and clean air conditioned office and paper pushing job with office hour and five day work week with smelling detergent and leftover food for 12 hours a day, six days a week ! Any takers ? I guess not. It's a fair trade off.

Unregistered 15-09-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28241)
If university graduates and white collar workers are complaining that a dishwasher is earning close to what they are making, then they should consider trading their cushy and clean air conditioned office and paper pushing job with office hour and five day work week with smelling detergent and leftover food for 12 hours a day, six days a week ! Any takers ? I guess not. It's a fair trade off.

I don't mind being a minister, especially one that's super low-profile and doesn't have to speak much in public.

Unregistered 15-09-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28241)

No politics, repetitive job if it wasn't for the lack of career progression and resume killer I think many would actually go for this job...

Unregistered 15-09-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28257)
No politics, repetitive job if it wasn't for the lack of career progression and resume killer I think many would actually go for this job...

beg to differ. it is perfect on a resume. work for 1 year as dishwasher (no politics, do monotonous job, talk to different people without worrying about anything) then apply to Harvard B School - and mention that you did not want to take a safe path after completing your engineering degree and wanted to see how the real world actually is. You will be considered an outside applicant and this might put you in favor. After you graduate, you become the boss.

Unregistered 15-09-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28253)
I don't mind being a minister, especially one that's super low-profile and doesn't have to speak much in public.

Lim Hng Kiang?

Unregistered 15-09-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28258)
beg to differ. it is perfect on a resume. work for 1 year as dishwasher (no politics, do monotonous job, talk to different people without worrying about anything) then apply to Harvard B School - and mention that you did not want to take a safe path after completing your engineering degree and wanted to see how the real world actually is. You will be considered an outside applicant and this might put you in favor. After you graduate, you become the boss.

Or you could use the dish washing experience kpkb about how corrupted Singapore is, join worker's party and become an MP

Unregistered 15-09-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28258)

"From dishwasher to NUS" will be as sensational as the story about a janitor getting accepted by Harvard:

From scrubbing floors to Ivy League: Homeless student to go to dream college - CNN.com

Unregistered 18-09-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salary.sg (Post 28218)
The CEO of Sakae Sushi, Douglas Foo, has revealed to the media that his sushi chain has a hard time filling dishwasher positions even after offering a S$3,000 per month salary.

Sakae Sushi's job offer sheds light on job expectations - inSing.com

I think it makes white-collar workers and fresh university graduates here even more disillusioned with their earning abilities. Cars and condos (and even HDB flats) are already beyond their reach, and now the knowledge that dishwashers can earn $3k just washing dishes is another slap in their face. :)

$3,000 to wash dishes: Sakae Sushi

As usual, this Foo guy is just exaggerating, making a statement to get media attention. If an unskilled person can make $3k as a dishwasher, there won't be any roadsweeper, cleaners, security guards,storekeeper, etc.

Unregistered 18-09-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28366)
As usual, this Foo guy is just exaggerating, making a statement to get media attention. If an unskilled person can make $3k as a dishwasher, there won't be any roadsweeper, cleaners, security guards,storekeeper, etc.

Some very wise guy once said that instead of being cynical, must take a look at themselves.
Maybe the $3k is front office dishwashing?