Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career for Engineering grad (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2172-career-engineering-grad.html)

emptybottle 09-09-2012 04:55 PM

Career for Engineering grad

Hi, so I've been doing some reading on this forum, and understand that an engineering job wnt get you as good money as those in finance industry, except for the top few of course. Of course i read all the insightful posts only for reference. Here's my humble opinion. Please do give advice as i am still in army with not much working experience. :)

I'm not really thinking abt business or accountancy degrees coz i still see engineering as a specialized degree that provides a relatively more stable job to fall back on. unlike business grads who cnt go into engineering when economy goes south, i always can go back to a stable job in engineering if finance industry doesn't treat me well. 1 thing to add. If i can get a higher paying job in finance industry of course it would be better, but I will be satisfied with a simple life that engineering jobs can provide.

I'm about to study chem engine next yr, and i must admit i foresee myself as an average grade student at best since majority all are straight A students in JC. 2nd class honours would be good enough for me. therefore i'm thinking whether shld i change to Industrial System Engineering, providing easier access to finance industry, and versatility. No matter which course, I will still source for jobs in finance industry first, oil and gas, then other engineering jobs. but what are the jobs that a chem engineer grads or industrial systems engineering grads get in the finance industry? and how high up can they go if they venture into an industry away from what they have been studying?

Some say engineering grads are highly valued for their problem solving, analytical skills and all, in positions of higher management in any company. (not dreaming big. but long term career goal. where i hope to see myself 20 to 30 yrs down the road.) How true is it?

Unregistered 09-09-2012 07:21 PM

With the current market and foreseeable future, no, engineering degree won't open doors in finance unless you're 1st class and get in through MA programmes. 2nd upper, maybe, if you have incredibly strong CCA records. Remember who you're competing with - the business and finance grads - so you need to have much more solid credentials if you want a fighting chance.

For now, almost every bank has frozen their headcount. Even business students from SMU can have trouble finding work there. If things change 4 years later and you graduate in a bull run, then things might be better.

Chem eng will probably be a lot more competitive than you think. Don't under-estimate the bell curve. A lvl is nothing, in nus chem eng, everyone is straight As. Your life might be easier in ntu. Yes, ntu is easier. If i were you, i'll switch to a less competitive course. Be a big fish in a small pond.

Unregistered 10-09-2012 09:08 AM

I am not sure if Ind Sys Engin can get u into Oil n Gas.

I've not seen any job openings in O&G that requires ISE. Mostly just civil, elec, mech & chemical.

If u r gg into engineering, better to go into the 'traditional' engineering. Otherwise when u graduate, u might be in for a rude awakening. Better to play safe if you still dunno what u wan.

Unregistered 10-09-2012 09:19 AM

Since you have confirmed you want a job in the finance industry, give up your 4 years engineering course now and applied for a 3 year business degree.

Don't waste your extra 1 year.

If we follow your line of thoughts, go get your chemical engineering degree.

Unregistered 10-09-2012 09:25 AM

This all sounds very good in theory while hanging around waiting to ORD, but ask yourself this:

If anyone can take an engineering degree, go into finance/banking make the big bucks and then run back to engineering as "insurance" the moment things are not looking well, why the hell would anyone bother to spend time & money to major in Finance or do a MBA from a top notch university???

Only 2 possibilities:

1) Somehow you are one of the few chosen ones who have discovered this unique patented way of planning your career or

2) Your scenario not realistic

I trust you have enough common sense to know which is the correct answer.

Unregistered 10-09-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28078)
This all sounds very good in theory while hanging around waiting to ORD, but ask yourself this:

If anyone can take an engineering degree, go into finance/banking make the big bucks and then run back to engineering as "insurance" the moment things are not looking well, why the hell would anyone bother to spend time & money to major in Finance or do a MBA from a top notch university??? <-- Begging the question

Only 2 possibilities: <-- False Dilemma

1) Somehow you are one of the few chosen ones who have discovered this unique patented way of planning your career or <-- Ad Hominem

2) Your scenario not realistic

I trust you have enough common sense to know which is the correct answer.

101010char

Unregistered 10-09-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emptybottle (Post 28070)
Some say engineering grads are highly valued for their problem solving, analytical skills and all, in positions of higher management in any company. (not dreaming big. but long term career goal. where i hope to see myself 20 to 30 yrs down the road.) How true is it?

This is just engineers bluffing themselves to boost their own ego. In most companies, your ability to suck up boss and play politics is the only thing that matters.

Ask your parents or uncles aunties that are much older than you whether their big bosses have excellent problem solving & analytical skills, I predict they will roll over & die from laughter

Unregistered 10-09-2012 03:08 PM

Want to go finance then study business lah, why purposely study something totally unrelated like engineering in the first place? Most engineers who join banks end up at some pathetic consumer sales job or backroom operations anyway.

Unregistered 10-09-2012 03:46 PM

I have a few engineer friends who move to banking after a few years in engineering, but first time I hear people purposely study engineering degree to get a finance job...

Unregistered 10-09-2012 05:34 PM

Dont waste your time studying Chemical Engineering in NUS if you dont have the interest. It is a course full of straight As fellas, with even ppl from top jcs like raffles and hwachong getting 3rd class honours in the end because of the bell curve. Do yourself a favour, change to a less competitive course, because in the end, its the class that matters for alot of entry level jobs not the university.