Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Actually how do you all know what work/career u all wanna do? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2139-actually-how-do-you-all-know-what-work-career-u-all-wanna-do.html)

Liverpool 10-08-2012 04:00 PM

Actually how do you all know what work/career u all wanna do?

seen many cases of people getting sick of their job.

1) My friend regular for Army. Army sponsored him overseas study (he OCS but diploma level so army send him to Aussie uni). Thought he was up and coming, get to lead men etc in infantry unit. Went to overseas posting for 1 yr in Taiwan. Then got assigned to logistics unit after posting at Infantry unit. Every few days, some accident will happen and most of the time he spent time writing reports of these accidents than leading any men. He quit after bond finished, wandered around awhile and now is a financial consultant (aka insurance agent).

2) Another Friend Air Steward, felt that he got high pay with allowance but no future. Quit after serving bond, join a stat board, then take MBA part time, then go poly become lecturer.

3) Another friend join stat board after graduation. Could not take the meaningless work his agency did. Quit and then wandered awhile, joined a ship yard. Then finally join PE fund (through connections as his family is well to do).

4) Another friend do maritme engineering sales. every time bid for tender, the head company will force the subsidary company my fren is working in to submit a losing vote. Insane politics, now he quit and became full time tutor.

5) Another person in logistics business. Could not take it, likes finance and markets. but lack of finance work experience meant he took pay cut to become a stock broker.

6) Another friend in Ministry. Felt that her work was irrelevant to the job market. Took pay cut to join a small asset management house.

7) Another friend from the same ministry also felt that there was no future there. Dug deep inside his pocket for an expensive post grad overseas to change career, hopefully into trading.

8) One friend got into trading a commodity. Thought he was now up and coming as a commodities trader, until that commodity he traded prices kept going down this year. Applied to other commodity trading jobs but got no reply or reply saying your commodity is different from what we trade. He told me he should have just traded something better like oil instead last time.

9) One friend studied finance but signed on as a teacher. After serving half way through his bond, decided to return to finance. Paid $30k-$40k to just break the bond.

10) Last friend graduated from UCL, came back to work in a foreign bank, as he was young he thought that he had finally become a banking elite, until he realised that he was in actually in ops after posting from his graduate program. Applied to many jobs and finally luckily broke into commodities trading after 3 yrs at the bank.

What do all these people have in common? All of them regretted taking up that last job. Sigh and these are not stupid people, all have degrees and even Masters but just chose the wrong career path.

How do you all know that job is what you want in life? It could be a good job to you now but on hindsight a few years later, you could be just begging to find a way out of your current job. Seen many such cases. :(

Unregistered 10-08-2012 04:41 PM

I just want a easy/boring/routine/brainless/good work-life balance/no OT and weekend government/ministry/statboard career......should be fine for me till I retired....yet I saw some from your list of friends quit government job......

I have been applied for government job for the past 5 years, still cannot get in...

really is Job-mismatch

Hermit 10-08-2012 05:40 PM

Hi Liverpool,

Like many of your friends, most of us do not know until after the fact.

We have been misled by the media, or parents, or friends, or the availability of scholarships, etc.

Some of us have the opportunity to change directions in mid life. Some get stuck because of the good money, or lack of opportunities elsewhere or just fear of change. Too bad.

If I were younger, I would go for a few psych tests to figure out my strengths and weaknesses (regardless of the discipline I studied), instead of jumping into the first job that offered me a nice salary.

Unregistered 10-08-2012 08:50 PM

Isn't it just that nobody likes to work and people who say that do are lying to themselves?
How hard is it to understand that?
Without the money everyone will just play.
What do your passion bollocks, do what lets you work less and/or earn more would be a better advice.

Unregistered 10-08-2012 09:08 PM

When one is young and lack experience, especially for the 1st few jobs, how many dare say they definitely know how the working world is like.

Most really go in headless to try out and gain experience. It's the same like a kid that understand pain after experiencing it. If not, how many kids will really listen the adults to avoid doing certain things. We all learn from mistakes.

It could be same for your friends. Moreover, doing the same things day in day out is like asking u to eat the same food everyday, sure will bored. The grass always appears greener on the other side so they may start envying and prefer other jobs, but there are still ppl who manage to jump but regret.

Just find a job that you dun hate doing, pays reasonable (subjective) is good enuff

SG_User 10-08-2012 09:15 PM

even till now i still dont know what job i wanna work. problematic !

Unregistered 10-08-2012 09:24 PM

easy job. aftr grad join stat board. no on fire me so far. bonus less but i can do what i want. will stay here till end.

Unregistered 10-08-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27471)
easy job. aftr grad join stat board. no on fire me so far. bonus less but i can do what i want. will stay here till end.

also after 7 yr my salary 4k.

Unregistered 11-08-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27472)
also after 7 yr my salary 4k.

statboard got pay so low meh?!?!?

statboard salary fresh grad 2nd lower with NS, at least 3.3k to 4k starting.....you work 7 years then hit 4k?!?!?! wtf

Liverpool 11-08-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27460)
I just want a easy/boring/routine/brainless/good work-life balance/no OT and weekend government/ministry/statboard career......should be fine for me till I retired....yet I saw some from your list of friends quit government job......

I have been applied for government job for the past 5 years, still cannot get in...

really is Job-mismatch

to be fair, I have friends who stick through government jobs throughout.

My thread is about how does one know what they want to do, rather than government jobs are no good. Even in private sector we see varied results like Air Steward don't want to be Air Steward, a Commodities Trader felt that he was trading the wrong product, an banking guy in ops, etc.