Industrial Postgraduate Program or Civil sector - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Industrial Postgraduate Program or Civil sector

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
ChewAhSoon is on a distinguished road
Default Industrial Postgraduate Program or Civil sector

Hi all, I am new here and would like some advice from the community here. I have just graduated is now faced with a dilemma in choosing my career path.

1) IPP allows me to be employed by a company, while working towards getting a phD by the fourth year. I have done relatively well in my FYP due to my interest in it and taking up this path seems to be a natural path for me. Reading up some advice online seems to discourage me from going into such a specialised field at such a young age.

2) Was offered an engineer position in a stat board, job scope will be a typical engineer. Very likely I would be able to face a broad aspect of current problems that I hope my undergrad course would allow me to solve. I would NOT be (required to/doing) any research.

Salary wise, both are reasonable with the IPP lower by around $300. There will be no increment for the 4 years of study, 1 month of bonus max. No bond required.

I would like to take the opportunity to ask for perhaps advice from anyone whom walked through the 2 paths and let me know the pros/cons to make my decision.

If I am allowed to follow my passion, I would go with the IPP. I admit I am quite an ambitious chap who enjoys challenges and strives for the best. However, the rising living cost in SG led me to believe that I may be at a disadvantage if I were to go that route. I have no interest in getting tenured as a prof, also even if I want most SG phD cant get in SG uni. My ideal job if I were to complete the phD would be in consulting of engineering issues related to the environment. Perhaps taking the second route would eventually get me there as well, as it seems from some of the companies that I have researched on.


Please advise, thank you in advance.


Last edited by ChewAhSoon; 08-08-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewAhSoon View Post
Hi all, I am new here and would like some advice from the community here. I have just graduated is now faced with a dilemma in choosing my career path.

1) IPP allows me to be employed by a company, while working towards getting a phD by the fourth year. I have done relatively well in my FYP due to my interest in it and taking up this path seems to be a natural path for me. Reading up some advice online seems to discourage me from going into such a specialised field at such a young age.

2) Was offered an engineer position in a stat board, job scope will be a typical engineer. Very likely I would be able to face a broad aspect of current problems that I hope my undergrad course would allow me to solve. I would NOT be (required to/doing) any research.

Salary wise, both are reasonable with the IPP lower by around $300. There will be no increment for the 4 years of study, 1 month of bonus max. No bond required.

I would like to take the opportunity to ask for perhaps advice from anyone whom walked through the 2 paths and let me know the pros/cons to make my decision.

If I am allowed to follow my passion, I would go with the IPP. I admit I am quite an ambitious chap who enjoys challenges and strives for the best. However, the rising living cost in SG led me to believe that I may be at a disadvantage if I were to go that route. I have no interest in getting tenured as a prof, also even if I want most SG phD cant get in SG uni. My ideal job if I were to complete the phD would be in consulting of engineering issues related to the environment. Perhaps taking the second route would eventually get me there as well, as it seems from some of the companies that I have researched on.


Please advise, thank you in advance.
You can go from one to the other but not from the other to the one

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
ChewAhSoon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You can go from one to the other but not from the other to the one
Yes indeed, for that I am gear towards the second option. Possible to change after trying out different things.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewAhSoon View Post
Yes indeed, for that I am gear towards the second option. Possible to change after trying out different things.
huh? It's precisely because it's much easier to enter the civil service, I'll recommend threadstarter to choose the first choice.

If you choose civil service, and realize that you don't like it, it's much harder to get an opportunity like IPP.

I don't see anything wrong with going into a specialized field after you have graduated from uni. The best paid professionals are always those from very specialized fields.

I'm guessing your field is in environmental engineering? I think the prospects in this field are pretty good (I'm working in environment-related field too), especially so if you are in the private sector.

Please think long term - while the starting pay for civil service may be higher, it stagnates very quickly. Whereas if you complete your PhD and go into consulting, your pay would easily rise past and rise faster than your civil service peers. You've just gotta tough it out for the four years.

It is precisely because of the rising living cost in SG that I would recommend the first option.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
ChewAhSoon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
huh? It's precisely because it's much easier to enter the civil service, I'll recommend threadstarter to choose the first choice.

If you choose civil service, and realize that you don't like it, it's much harder to get an opportunity like IPP.

I don't see anything wrong with going into a specialized field after you have graduated from uni. The best paid professionals are always those from very specialized fields.

I'm guessing your field is in environmental engineering? I think the prospects in this field are pretty good (I'm working in environment-related field too), especially so if you are in the private sector.

Please think long term - while the starting pay for civil service may be higher, it stagnates very quickly. Whereas if you complete your PhD and go into consulting, your pay would easily rise past and rise faster than your civil service peers. You've just gotta tough it out for the four years.

It is precisely because of the rising living cost in SG that I would recommend the first option.
Thanks alot for your advice. I misunderstood because once I start the phD course I will not be able to quit or have to pay the fees, so its gonna be a big decision. May I know more about your field of work? You can PM me if you prefer.

Last edited by ChewAhSoon; 11-08-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capitaland Graduate Development Program? Upper Frantly Income and Jobs 21 03-07-2021 05:34 AM
Aiming to get into an MBA program SGWorker Education and Personal Growth 20 21-06-2019 01:07 PM
Job-hopping within civil sector pelandok Income and Jobs 35 11-07-2012 03:00 PM
Industrial And Systems Eng fabregas Education and Personal Growth 2 03-06-2012 11:55 AM
Any short postgraduate course to recommand? Axela72 Education and Personal Growth 13 26-01-2012 01:24 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,724 Replies, 484,822 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,369 Replies, 7,895,776 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
475 Replies, 145,632 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,280 Replies, 357,250 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,283 Replies, 1,693,135 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
333 Replies, 65,277 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,595 Replies, 5,368,207 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,504 Replies, 2,767,014 Views
infosys, cognizant ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 2,982 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
211 Replies, 165,527 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
879 Replies, 270,694 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
527 Replies, 191,416 Views
Cpf senior manager
7 Replies, 2,703 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,196 Replies, 1,380,025 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,145 Replies, 638,556 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
476 Replies, 92,935 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
391 Replies, 133,377 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,355 Replies, 2,819,490 Views
Fresh grad 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 22,290 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
784 Replies, 374,086 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,462 Replies, 1,619,433 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
604 Replies, 362,041 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,210 Replies, 1,978,343 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
127 Replies, 137,328 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 136,639 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
124 Replies, 85,974 Views
Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 63,450 Views
Chinese backed tech company WLB in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
101 Replies, 10,154 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
327 Replies, 132,004 Views
OCBC Bank
7 Replies, 439 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2