Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Salary Negotiation

Old 26-04-2012, 12:44 PM

girlgirl88 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Salary Negotiation

Hi all, I'm new here... my first post..

I recently receive a call from the manager that I am shortlisted for the position after going through 2 rounds of interview.

He was saying that he wants me to join in earlier on part time basis as the contract will take 2 weeks to be finalised.

May I ask how do I negotiate the salary? I realised that my expected salary is low after consulting some of my friends in this similar field...

I am a diploma grad and have more than 3 years of experience in the same field...

Should I call him now or wait till the contract is finalised? Will it be too late?

Old 26-04-2012, 02:17 PM
WiredJustice

How much are they offering you? 3 years relevant experience for diploma should be about 1.8k – 2k

My advice is not to accept such arrangements. Say you have something on for the next 2 weeks and you’ll be glad to join them once the contracts are done up. Your level is very junior and the contract is just a standard template they need to change the salary field. It takes at most 5 minutes to do up the contract.

2 weeks to consider other candidates & offer I understand, but offered already and need 2 weeks to finalize contract is plain lame. They are using the common trick of bluffing you down to work for 2 weeks and “assess” your capabilities. If they don’t like you after 2 weeks they’ll come back with some excuses to not offer you the contract and you would have wasted precious time.

Old 26-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredJustice View Post
How much are they offering you? 3 years relevant experience for diploma should be about 1.8k – 2k

My advice is not to accept such arrangements. Say you have something on for the next 2 weeks and you’ll be glad to join them once the contracts are done up. Your level is very junior and the contract is just a standard template they need to change the salary field. It takes at most 5 minutes to do up the contract.

2 weeks to consider other candidates & offer I understand, but offered already and need 2 weeks to finalize contract is plain lame. They are using the common trick of bluffing you down to work for 2 weeks and “assess” your capabilities. If they don’t like you after 2 weeks they’ll come back with some excuses to not offer you the contract and you would have wasted precious time.
crazy la 3years relevant experience for dip is 1.8 -> 2k ?!?! i graduated from with diploma in electronics and i get 2k with no experience. now 2.1 after confirm

Old 26-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
crazy la 3years relevant experience for dip is 1.8 -> 2k ?!?! i graduated from with diploma in electronics and i get 2k with no experience. now 2.1 after confirm
Fresh diploma grad 2k? In your dreams la
Old 26-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredJustice View Post
They are using the common trick of bluffing you down to work for 2 weeks and “assess” your capabilities. If they don’t like you after 2 weeks they’ll come back with some excuses to not offer you the contract and you would have wasted precious time.
Very true, I kana this before when in my first job.

Company told me they going to offer me perm position as a BD executive, but claim GM on leave & not around to sign off contract. The hirer than tell me to join them on weekly contract basis until he is back to sign off.

I notice that there was another 2 new BD hires same time as me. 2 weeks later, they claim got restructuring and company not doing well, so reduce headcount to 2 BD and one of the guys told to leave. Till this day I think they never intend to hire all 3 of us, just wanted to test and retain the ones they like.

Old 26-04-2012, 05:21 PM

girlgirl88 is on a distinguished road

I see..

I have contacted the manager and told herabout the salary. She say she will have to discuss with the head first before making decision and most likely will get as close as the salary i expected.

She seems very keen to hire me and keep emphasising on their package. hmm..

I will still proceed with the part time basis work. I wan to try it out too.. anyway I will still be paid..better than nothing.. if they dun hire me... or salary too low.. i will have to send out resume again.. ><
Old 27-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

around 3k should be reasonable for 3 years exp. i have 2 fresh grad friends getting 2 -2.4k as a start (banking should be more)
Old 28-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
around 3k should be reasonable for 3 years exp. i have 2 fresh grad friends getting 2 -2.4k as a start (banking should be more)
the ts is asking regarding diploma pay, not uni graduate.
after seeing the figures here i feel a bit sympathetic for poly grads la. I was an intern for a local mid-sized SME (non-banking, semi-financial industry. not insurance also la) and they paid me 1.1k as an intern (from the local uni), which is pretty generous for an intern.

On the other hand i notice they also employ a lot of malaysians on EP in their co. i had a peek and saw that one of them was paid $2.6k (which was the minimum then, the guy had about 3-4years experience in another company). Kinda makes me wonder whether are they really interested in attracting local grads to their company (the intern pay is very attractive) or just leeching and exploiting off the malaysians on EP..
Old 28-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Unregistered

In this world, people make money by exploiting other people's time, talents and needs...
Just like to draw reference to the latest scandal of a 16 year old girl being exploited by a pimp to become a underage prostitute to meet the sexual needs of the rich and elite paying "customers".. who were also exploited by the pimp of their cold hard cash.....

The real winner is the pimp who gets a cut of the happy transaction at both ends..

Frankly in todays's working world, the scenario is very much the same..
A buyer(the Employer) willing to pay you(the Employee) an X amount of money for your time and talent every month...
As an employer, you'll definitely wish to pay as little as possible to hire people with the best talent and with the most time to offer to you... If the FTs are willing to settle for less than a local S'porean graduate.. then it's just tough luck for the local grad... At the end of the day, it's about a happy transaction between a willing buyer and a willing seller... Just make sure you are not the one being exploited.. If not.. be the one to be "less" exploited...

Quote:
the ts is asking regarding diploma pay, not uni graduate.
after seeing the figures here i feel a bit sympathetic for poly grads la. I was an intern for a local mid-sized SME (non-banking, semi-financial industry. not insurance also la) and they paid me 1.1k as an intern (from the local uni), which is pretty generous for an intern.

On the other hand i notice they also employ a lot of malaysians on EP in their co. i had a peek and saw that one of them was paid $2.6k (which was the minimum then, the guy had about 3-4years experience in another company). Kinda makes me wonder whether are they really interested in attracting local grads to their company (the intern pay is very attractive) or just leeching and exploiting off the malaysians on EP..