MAS for Mid Career Professionals - Page 29 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

MAS for Mid Career Professionals

Old 06-04-2021, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

must be prepared to spend an inordinate amount of time writing meeting minutes in a particular gahment style

Old 06-04-2021, 10:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is there any discernible difference between joining as a mid-career professional versus joining fresh out of university as a graduate officer? I would think (and hope) the learning opportunities are the same - can anyone clarify this point please?
The first thing would be salary. If you join as a fresh grad, you will start off on the MAS payscale and progress along the way. If you join as a mid-career, HR will naturally have to try to match or give a suitable increment for you to join (same with any other job tbh).

If you talk about non-work specific learning, MAS is a great place. There is a lot of emphasis on learning and you can even join various modules (with officers from other departments) and aim towards completing the MAS diploma.

If you talk about work-specific learning, then this is obviously dependent on which department you are in. As a mid-career, you were hired because you have some relevant knowledge and experience. However, you obviously have to learn the parts of the job that you are not so informed about. As a fresh grad, you have no experience, thus you have to learn job from scratch.

I cannot understand the point of your question (to quote a certain minister). What exactly are you trying to ask?

Old 08-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It simply means that in the rare event anyone gets more than 3 months of bonus, the "more than 3 months amount" won't be paid all at once, but paid in portions over the next few years.

Btw MAS doesn't have the concept of AWS, which is pretty silly anyway and nowadays refers to Amazon Web Services more than anything else.
It's not entirely accurate.

Only when your PB is above 4 months, then the amount exceeding three months is paid over 3 years i.e. deferral of 2/3 of quantum exceeding 3 months over next 2 years. If total PB is 4 months and below, you will be paid in the same year i.e. no deferral

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It's not entirely accurate.

Only when your PB is above 4 months, then the amount exceeding three months is paid over 3 years i.e. deferral of 2/3 of quantum exceeding 3 months over next 2 years. If total PB is 4 months and below, you will be paid in the same year i.e. no deferral
to declare something only to defer it sounds silly
Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It is quite similar in private sector. We call it the golden handcuff and is usually used to keep top performers.

I had to give up more than 70k of deferred bonuses (cash and shares) when i left a listed company, so it is not uncommon and certainly not silly from the company's perspective. You only see it as silly because you want to get it now.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
same for RSUs in big techs lor

Old 08-04-2021, 08:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The first thing would be salary. If you join as a fresh grad, you will start off on the MAS payscale and progress along the way. If you join as a mid-career, HR will naturally have to try to match or give a suitable increment for you to join (same with any other job tbh).

If you talk about non-work specific learning, MAS is a great place. There is a lot of emphasis on learning and you can even join various modules (with officers from other departments) and aim towards completing the MAS diploma.

If you talk about work-specific learning, then this is obviously dependent on which department you are in. As a mid-career, you were hired because you have some relevant knowledge and experience. However, you obviously have to learn the parts of the job that you are not so informed about. As a fresh grad, you have no experience, thus you have to learn job from scratch.

I cannot understand the point of your question (to quote a certain minister). What exactly are you trying to ask?
To be specific, I imagine there would be a long waiting list for certain learning opportunities (e.g. post-graduate studies, secondments to external organisations, internal mobility).

Just curious about whether joining as a mid-career professional puts one in a lower standing for such opportunities, as compared to someone who joined as a fresh grad (e.g. graduate officer scheme). Naturally, in this comparison we would assume similar work performance, as that would more likely than not be the most crucial factor.

To provide even more context - I allude to an earlier post (pg. 13), which might be a bit alarming for mid-careers:
"As with government service, the prospects of everyone differs and is generally as such:

1) Top Tier - MAS / Presidents' Scholar (who transfer from other ministries)
2) Second Tier - First Class Honors Fresh Grad who join MAS direct from School
3) Third Tier - Other Second Class Honors Fresh Grad who join MAS direct from School
4) Bottom Tier - Mid Careers

The tiers shown above generally shows a person's "potential" which have a direct relationship to your promotion, opportunities, bonus and pay. The difference between the bonus between the top tier and the bottom tier can be significant - i.e. at least 2.5 months difference."
Old 09-04-2021, 12:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
To be specific, I imagine there would be a long waiting list for certain learning opportunities (e.g. post-graduate studies, secondments to external organisations, internal mobility).

Just curious about whether joining as a mid-career professional puts one in a lower standing for such opportunities, as compared to someone who joined as a fresh grad (e.g. graduate officer scheme). Naturally, in this comparison we would assume similar work performance, as that would more likely than not be the most crucial factor.

To provide even more context - I allude to an earlier post (pg. 13), which might be a bit alarming for mid-careers:
"As with government service, the prospects of everyone differs and is generally as such:

3) Third Tier - Other Second Class Honors Fresh Grad who join MAS direct from School

The tiers shown above generally shows a person's "potential" which have a direct relationship to your promotion, opportunities, bonus and pay. The difference between the bonus between the top tier and the bottom tier can be significant - i.e. at least 2.5 months difference."
your tiering is just imaginary. what first class is 2nd tier.. its based on the persons performance and potential la
Old 09-04-2021, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
your tiering is just imaginary. what first class is 2nd tier.. its based on the persons performance and potential la
Please read carefully - the quote was from some other earlier post in this thread and of course, it's more than great that such tiering doesn't exist...
Old 11-04-2021, 10:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I'm not sure why you need to imagine but I must say your imagination is rather colourful.

Broadly speaking, there are only two "tiers", those who are scholars, and those who are not.

It doesn't matter that much whether you joined as first/second/third class honours fresh out of school or whether you are a mid-career person. Like I said, you are either a scholar or not. If you are, your promotions are generally quicker and you also get more responsibilities.

However, there is also a lot of room for non-scholars to move around the organization. It is common that people move around. Moving to external orgs is also common. Post-grad studies, you need to be decent at your work cause your boss will obviously be asked about your performance. But I don't think it is prohibitively difficult to get these.

P.S. The way you write is off-putting. I cannot pinpoint what it is, but it sounds as if the queen is trying to get a job, but is concerned that she is too high and mighty for it. I certainly hope this is isn't the case. Good luck.