Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   MAS for Mid Career Professionals (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/2119-monetary-authority-singapore-mid-career-professionals.html)

Unregistered 17-06-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174498)
I dont understand why still got so many people die die want to go be civil servant and think as long as they can survive and perform well there they would be promoted like its their dues.

This is far from the case. Civil service determines the rate of your career progression, CEP by your education. If you are a government scholar definitely you would progress at the fastest pace as compared to everyone else.

Non-scholars or scholarship but not related to govt, you will just be a farmer there. No matter how well you performed, you will find that your progression will never match up to that of govt scholars.

If this isnt discouraging enough for anyone who looks to civil service as a potential career without govt scholarship, i dont know what will.

This is mid career thread, so majority whom want to join PS not aiming for promotion.
Like myself, i wanted to join PS for the stable environment. I dont care about promotion.

In my current private company, some ppl climb high but if you dont perform well for just one year, you fall to bottom.

Unregistered 18-06-2021 10:34 PM

Anyone knows if internal mobility within MAS is encouraged? Will it be a case where your department refuses to let you go?

Unregistered 19-06-2021 01:19 PM

Hi all, wanted to get some advice for those who are inside MAS, is the work in MAS boring in tech risk supervision? Have not yet found my calling in life so unsure if its the job for me to start. I have another job offer but in an operations role in a FI.

Unregistered 19-06-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174768)
Hi all, wanted to get some advice for those who are inside MAS, is the work in MAS boring in tech risk supervision? Have not yet found my calling in life so unsure if its the job for me to start. I have another job offer but in an operations role in a FI.

Which pays better? Local FI or foreign FI?

COVID-19 23-06-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174705)
Anyone knows if internal mobility within MAS is encouraged? Will it be a case where your department refuses to let you go?

It's encouraged, we always try to fill our headcount internally first. Many of my colleagues have transferred departments in their long career in MAS. You can only transfer after 3 years. It depends on if the other dept want you or not, your original dept dont care if you go or not bc they can always get someone from another dept.

Unregistered 24-06-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COVID-19 (Post 175271)
It's encouraged, we always try to fill our headcount internally first. Many of my colleagues have transferred departments in their long career in MAS. You can only transfer after 3 years. It depends on if the other dept want you or not, your original dept dont care if you go or not bc they can always get someone from another dept.

Do they look for people with prior and transferable knowledge when it comes to internal transfer? Thanks so much!

Unregistered 24-06-2021 12:08 PM

Anyone knows if technology risk supervision is a good department to join? Any bad reputation or anything haha?

Unregistered 24-06-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175375)
Anyone knows if technology risk supervision is a good department to join? Any bad reputation or anything haha?

Go there gain some exp for a few years, then move on to a bank. Your regulatory exp will be valued by most banks in-house cyber teams.

Unregistered 24-06-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174504)
This is mid career thread, so majority whom want to join PS not aiming for promotion.
Like myself, i wanted to join PS for the stable environment. I dont care about promotion.

In my current private company, some ppl climb high but if you dont perform well for just one year, you fall to bottom.

Agreed, I just want to collect approx 10 to 12k per month and be able to enjoy long lunches and tea breaks. Hentak kaki is fine for me since I have passive income as well.

COVID-19 24-06-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175373)
Do they look for people with prior and transferable knowledge when it comes to internal transfer? Thanks so much!

Well the most important factor is if the dept youre transferring knows you through some projects you worked with them. Same as for outside, having connections helps. Everything can be trained, there is precedent cases and good practice guides. I know my dept doesnt look for prior experience.