MAS : Mid Career Professionals - Page 26 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




MAS : Mid Career Professionals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #251 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2021, 05:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what is the employee grade # for executive director, may I ask?
unfortunately this is rather true...its typically for their scholars unless you are really a superstar

Reply With Quote
  #252 (permalink)  
Old 23-02-2021, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 33
COVID-19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what is the employee grade # for executive director, may I ask?
I think it's probably Grade 4-6 somewhere there.
Grade 13 is Trainee Officer/Associate, 0-3 years of experience.
Grade 11-12 is Assistant Director, 3-6 years of experience. Grade 11 and above can be Team Lead already.
Grade 9-10 is Deputy Director.
Grade 8 is Deputy Director who are also Division Head.
Grade 7 should be Director, who may be Division Head or Department Head.



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #253 (permalink)  
Old 24-02-2021, 12:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COVID-19 View Post
I think it's probably Grade 4-6 somewhere there.
Grade 13 is Trainee Officer/Associate, 0-3 years of experience.
Grade 11-12 is Assistant Director, 3-6 years of experience. Grade 11 and above can be Team Lead already.
Grade 9-10 is Deputy Director.
Grade 8 is Deputy Director who are also Division Head.
Grade 7 should be Director, who may be Division Head or Department Head.
Generally, senior management (Director and above in MAS), if they wish to move on to the private sector, are they sought after? specially since they might know the regulatory environment well?

or is it that the private sector is not really interested in such people and the only option for those who move will move laterally to other stat board/ministry?

Reply With Quote
  #254 (permalink)  
Old 24-02-2021, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 33
COVID-19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Generally, senior management (Director and above in MAS), if they wish to move on to the private sector, are they sought after? specially since they might know the regulatory environment well?

or is it that the private sector is not really interested in such people and the only option for those who move will move laterally to other stat board/ministry?
It depends on the department. For example, some non-financial specific work like procurement, or consumer service, I hardly think it is high-paying in the private sector. If it's AML department, which is the trend now, then yes.

I did my own stalking on LinkedIn to see where ex-MAS colleagues went. An Assistant Director from the Insurance or Banking department can become a Manager in Insurance Broker companies, or insurance companies, or AVP in banks.

One of the Team Leads left MAS after 30 years, and can find a job in insurance companies immediately as consultant.
Reply With Quote
  #255 (permalink)  
Old 24-02-2021, 05:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COVID-19 View Post
It depends on the department. For example, some non-financial specific work like procurement, or consumer service, I hardly think it is high-paying in the private sector. If it's AML department, which is the trend now, then yes.

I did my own stalking on LinkedIn to see where ex-MAS colleagues went. An Assistant Director from the Insurance or Banking department can become a Manager in Insurance Broker companies, or insurance companies, or AVP in banks.

One of the Team Leads left MAS after 30 years, and can find a job in insurance companies immediately as consultant.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it
if you director and above, is there job security just like lower levels?
Reply With Quote
  #256 (permalink)  
Old 24-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 33
COVID-19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the info, appreciate it
if you director and above, is there job security just like lower levels?
Do you mean job security inside MAS itself? I think MAS hardly asks people to leave. Plenty of people work in MAS for 30-35 years and then retire here. But of course, stuck at glass ceiling of Deputy Director.

This is because there are too many talented people in MAS already. Lots of colleagues who have Masters in Oxford, Cambridge, etc (not a scholar when they joined, but because they perform well, obtain company sponsorship for further studies); and they are high-flyers at work such as representing MAS at various international events.
Reply With Quote

  #257 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2021, 04:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Generally, senior management (Director and above in MAS), if they wish to move on to the private sector, are they sought after? specially since they might know the regulatory environment well?

or is it that the private sector is not really interested in such people and the only option for those who move will move laterally to other stat board/ministry?
Even to reach Director, it will be very hard. There is a limited amount of Director roles in the organization. There is probably a waitlist in front of you unless you are a scholar.

But in terms of the portability of skills, as the poster above mentioned, you might be able to get a good deal in a private company.

Banking/insurance/capital market supervision --- risk/compliance roles or even credit roles

Markets and investment --- investment or trading roles

Economic policy --- economist or other research roles

Development --- business development roles due to industry contacts

FinTech --- hot stuff along with Payments

No idea about other departments but some are naturally more in-demand than others.
Reply With Quote
  #258 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COVID-19 View Post
Do you mean job security inside MAS itself? I think MAS hardly asks people to leave. Plenty of people work in MAS for 30-35 years and then retire here. But of course, stuck at glass ceiling of Deputy Director.

This is because there are too many talented people in MAS already. Lots of colleagues who have Masters in Oxford, Cambridge, etc (not a scholar when they joined, but because they perform well, obtain company sponsorship for further studies); and they are high-flyers at work such as representing MAS at various international events.
thank you covid-19 for your help
Reply With Quote
  #259 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Even to reach Director, it will be very hard. There is a limited amount of Director roles in the organization. There is probably a waitlist in front of you unless you are a scholar.

But in terms of the portability of skills, as the poster above mentioned, you might be able to get a good deal in a private company.

Banking/insurance/capital market supervision --- risk/compliance roles or even credit roles

Markets and investment --- investment or trading roles

Economic policy --- economist or other research roles

Development --- business development roles due to industry contacts

FinTech --- hot stuff along with Payments

No idea about other departments but some are naturally more in-demand than others.
thank you, very helpful
Reply With Quote
  #260 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2021, 11:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Can anyone provide color on the culture and/or nature of work within financial supervision branch? Say for example, between the various supervisory teams (e.g. insurance, banking, capital markets)?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what does corporate hr executives/professionals do? lmaohaha Income and Jobs 2 12-05-2012 06:03 PM
Training & Development Professionals - Masters programme? bioman Education and Personal Growth 1 06-03-2012 04:26 PM
Supply chain, logistics, procurement professionals here. Watson Income and Jobs 6 26-05-2011 01:54 PM
Professionals and Managers - Is Your Pay above the Median? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 174 04-10-2009 07:42 PM
Managers and Professionals - are your Salaries above the Median? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 27 11-12-2008 10:45 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
822 Replies, 416,709 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,474 Replies, 6,428,554 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,900 Replies, 1,307,093 Views
Net Wealth Percentiles
3 Replies, 796 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,297 Replies, 3,524,007 Views
Buy condo or wait it out? ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 2,963 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,863 Replies, 1,513,339 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,627 Replies, 366,082 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
172 Replies, 154,239 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
222 Replies, 135,678 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,791 Replies, 1,109,077 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,610 Replies, 1,455,722 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,622 Replies, 2,181,967 Views
Can share your your car... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,446 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,129 Replies, 1,980,645 Views
Retiring in Taiwan ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 2,568 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
509 Replies, 308,167 Views
How to start a small business ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 4,174 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
206 Replies, 51,245 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 86,199 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 175,098 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
280 Replies, 60,665 Views
Looking for job referral,...
7 Replies, 814 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
280 Replies, 387,005 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
193 Replies, 56,868 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
106 Replies, 97,183 Views
26 no degree is all hope lost?... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 2,890 Views
Really that bad for property agent...
2 Replies, 3,776 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,193 Replies, 912,665 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2