Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

UOL Job Prospects

Old 28-07-2012, 12:25 PM

undecided2012 is on a distinguished road
Default UOL Job Prospects

Hi everyone,

I have been considering taking a distance learning course with UOL directly. This is directly from london and not with SIM or any private school in singapore.

However, i have consulted with 2 separate people and they all voiced the opinion that a in person full time learning at private or public universities in Singapore is twice as valued as a UOL degree taken through distance learning.

I would like to find out if it is really the case that people who take the UOL distance learning degree will have difficulties in finding a job in Singapore?

If there are people who have taken UOL dist learning and successfully got a job, i would like to hear more about your experience.

Thanks for any constructive inputs:-)

Old 28-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

Definitely not true. In the end your cert will not state whether you did it through SIM or directly with UOL. Furthermore, if you are self-studying directly with UOL, some employers will see it as a sign of maturity and independence as you are not being "guided" by lecturers at SIM. Will you be working part-time while you study? If yes, then thats even one more plus point in the eyes of employers.

Studying directly with UOL might not be as good as on-campus local uni. But it is DEFINITELY not twice as valued as full-time at a private school. It is on-par or better.

Old 28-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Default Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Definitely not true. In the end your cert will not state whether you did it through SIM or directly with UOL. Furthermore, if you are self-studying directly with UOL, some employers will see it as a sign of maturity and independence as you are not being "guided" by lecturers at SIM. Will you be working part-time while you study? If yes, then thats even one more plus point in the eyes of employers.

Studying directly with UOL might not be as good as on-campus local uni. But it is DEFINITELY not twice as valued as full-time at a private school. It is on-par or better.
Thanks for your kind advice, it is much appreciated:-)

Old 28-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Unregistered

This cannot be further away from the truth.

If i understand you correctly, the distance learning which you mentioned is done entirely via the internet/laptop as there is no private institution (such as SIM) conducting the classes.

If that is the case, I am certain that attending classes in SIM is far more superior than the above mentioned method of getting a degree. Otherwise, why would the thousands of SIM students travel to SIM to study when they can actually learn at the comfort of their own bedroom.

Hope common sense will prevail.

Quote:
Thanks for your kind advice, it is much appreciated:-)
Old 29-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Otherwise, why would the thousands of SIM students travel to SIM to study when they can actually learn at the comfort of their own bedroom.
because like most singaporean kids, they need a real-life teacher to hold their hands and guide them. obviously, you are not familiar with how the UOL system works. the UOL international program was precisely designed to be studied from anywhere. it was only later that SIM decided to cash in on it and provide "tuition" services.

SIM-UOL does not award its own degrees (unisim does). nowhere in your degree/transcript does it say that you studied in SIM.
Old 29-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Unregistered

Good day. I just chanced upon this interesting thread and would like to give my comments.

I strongly recommend studying for the UOL degree via the SIM-GE program (if u arent able to enrol in NUS/NTU/SMU). Although it is not as prestigious as the local Universities, SIM has over the past decade, established itself as the leading private education provider. As such, there will be more opportunities for you upon graduation. You can draw many parallels between SIM and local Universities, such as a organised learning environment, vibrant student cohort, credible teaching staff etc. Throughout my 10 year in the workforce, I have seen SIM graduates being hired in the HR, finance, administrative, sales & marketing function.

Succinctly, SIM is the next best alternative to local varsities. I do NOT consider online learning to be something credible or mean of studying.

I would suggest that you visit SIM, as well as other private institutes like PSB, Kaplan, to see what their courses entail. By the way, I am from NUS and am not biased towards SIM in any way. Just sharing my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided2012 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been considering taking a distance learning course with UOL directly. This is directly from london and not with SIM or any private school in singapore.

However, i have consulted with 2 separate people and they all voiced the opinion that a in person full time learning at private or public universities in Singapore is twice as valued as a UOL degree taken through distance learning.

I would like to find out if it is really the case that people who take the UOL distance learning degree will have difficulties in finding a job in Singapore?

If there are people who have taken UOL dist learning and successfully got a job, i would like to hear more about your experience.

Thanks for any constructive inputs:-)

Old 29-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I do NOT consider online learning to be something credible or mean of studying.
TS question was "I would like to find out if it is really the case that people who take the UOL distance learning degree will have difficulties in finding a job in Singapore?"

The fact is there is no difference between a SIM-UOL degree scroll and a UOL degree scroll. That's why in terms of employment prospects there is not much difference.

Additionally, one thing many people don't realise is that you can join and leave SIM at any time during your degree (unlike other degrees offered by SIM, like SIM-RMIT or SIM-UOW). I have seen people who did self-study for the first two years, and then joined SIM-UOL in their final year. And I've also seen people who studied with SIM-UOL for their first two years and then opted to self-study for their final year. At the end of your course, as long as you pass all of the exams, you get the same UOL degree as everyone else.

I have seen students who self-studied the UOL international degree being hired in various functions too, just as the previous poster have mentioned that his SIM-UOL friends have been hired. As I've said earlier, self-studying the degree makes it easier to take on a full-time job and gain working experience. And employers definitely value the work experience.
Old 29-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Unregistered

The things that you mentioned -

(1)organised learning environment - not everyone needs this if you have the maturity and independence to study on your own

(2)vibrant student cohort - really? to quote a hardwarezone post
- "Most ppl study in sch 3 hrs only, then go home. Because theres nothing much to do at sch unlike local u. Almost no competitions to take part in (must go external ones), CCAs not many ppl. Whenever I hear my collicks talk about their uni life, I will feel damn envious one."
- "Also, school life at SIM is indeed very boring."

(3)credible teaching staff - yes, if you need a real life teacher to hold you hand and guide you along, then sign up for SIM.
Old 29-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

The HWZ quotes taken from SIM -- not recognized? - www.hardwarezone.com.sg
Old 29-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Unregistered

u can argue till the cows come home...to belittle and discredit SIM or other private institution...and to live in self-denial. But u cannot run away from the reality of life.

Truth hurts.

by the way, it is colleagues...not collicks.

Quote:
The things that you mentioned -

(1)organised learning environment - not everyone needs this if you have the maturity and independence to study on your own

(2)vibrant student cohort - really? to quote a hardwarezone post
- "Most ppl study in sch 3 hrs only, then go home. Because theres nothing much to do at sch unlike local u. Almost no competitions to take part in (must go external ones), CCAs not many ppl. Whenever I hear my collicks talk about their uni life, I will feel damn envious one."
- "Also, school life at SIM is indeed very boring."

(3)credible teaching staff - yes, if you need a real life teacher to hold you hand and guide you along, then sign up for SIM.