Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Work culture in IHiS (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2095-work-culture-ihis.html)

G33n 23-07-2012 10:06 PM

Work culture in IHiS

Anyone has things to share about the working culture? Benefits? Is it considered a GLC?

TIA!

Unregistered 27-09-2013 07:14 PM

would like to know as well

anyone?
was offered a role as manager there for around 8k

Unregistered 01-10-2013 10:42 PM

anyone care to venture an opinion? true blue singaporean here
heard they are mostly into SAP

Unregistered 15-11-2013 11:52 PM

Good place to farm and retire

Mostly IT-based support for healthcare sector. It is a stable environment to work in, with work/life balance that means you get to knock off on time and your weekends will be untouched (unless you're on maintenance). Salary will not be fantastic but you can expect the standard 13 month + AWS (only)

Unregistered 18-11-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 43009)
anyone?
was offered a role as manager there for around 8k

How old are you and how many years of experience?

skyline 23-11-2013 10:59 AM

Not as easy

ihis life is not easy. It really depends on what role u r in. Some roles require u to run here run there, attend meetings, do support etc... It has a decent annual sal package. On top of 13 mth, it has an average vb of ard 3 mths. It has a high turnover rate too. Some people came here for few months and left, prolly they don't like the nature of the job. Though health sector seems interesting but like other sectors, it is not easy as it seems to be. Be mentally prepared if you are offered a job in ihis.

Unregistered 25-11-2013 07:17 PM

Turn over very high. Up to you to imagine why

Unregistered 03-12-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45650)
Turn over very high. Up to you to imagine why

difficult job?

Unregistered 06-12-2013 03:19 PM

got an interview for their graduate programme. any1 knows how the salary like?

Unregistered 01-01-2014 10:58 AM

is there worklife balance in ihis? heard the turnover rate is high

Unregistered 04-01-2014 02:55 PM

Turnover rate is typical of any govt linked IT coy, e.g. NCS, ST, DSTA, etc. Not easy to work for govt, many paper work and approvals to go through and always get squeezed with tight budget projects. Promotion exercise happens only once a year, takes around 3 or more years to move up 1 level.

Benefits is slightly better than those big IT outsourcing coys. Fresh grads start with 21 days leave, salary comparable to working in gov sector, 13mth + avg 3 mth aws. Good job security, healthcare won't run out of business. Long work hours depending on individual, generally after 6.30pm the office is around 10% filled. Got pros and cons, those people who stay longer are those who can adapt to the paperwork/bureaucratic environment of the govt sector coy or who have strong passion to serve in the healthcare industry.

Unregistered 05-01-2014 11:27 PM

anddeedGe

i see that their sap positions are always available, then i asked around and heard that the work is pretty tough and turnover is high.

decided not to apply for ihis and joined another company.

Unregistered 06-01-2014 04:30 AM

the good thing is, my friends working there can take long lunch breaks, tea breaks, morning breaks, dinner breaks as long as they like.

my frend's paper work along took as long as 3 months, which means he did almost nothing for 3 months while getting paid. how great can life be?

u will be working with many old birds around - nobody's breathing down your neck like in the private sector. to them, it's like a job for retirement. no risk, no surprises, and pretty stable.

who knows, the vacancies might be a sign of expanding sector too. healthcare industry is now expanding especially in sg with influx of foreign talents, better technology, and higher cancer rates.

Unregistered 22-01-2014 10:45 AM

I heard there is no work life balance there. Quite messy in the management. Turnover rate is high, that is why they keep recruiting people. Wondering why some people can stay there for long while others left within a short period of time.

FreshGraduate 25-02-2014 05:35 PM

There are mixture of positive and negative informations about IHIS. Is there any current/past employee able to verify on the information? It would be nice if you would insights of the work life and remuneration in IHIS.

Thank you.

Unregistered 27-02-2014 10:14 PM

Pros:
- Worklife balance depending on which projects you are in.
- Flexible hours depending on your boss. (Some bosses tends to micro-manage.)
- AWS + avg 2.5 vb
- Benefits are generally better than other company. e.g 21 days leave, mobile allowance...

Cons:
- 24/7 support because you are mainly supporting the hospitals (sick also must work)
- Slow Promotion Cycle (3 to 5 years promote once)
- High turnover rate (mainly middle management and junior level)
- High workload (you will be supporting two or more projects and dunno how many hospitals, not counting the projects you are supposed to backup your colleagues.)
- Less internal promotion because newly joined middle/higher management will bring in their own guys (mostly senior level, even without healthcare experience).
- Poor leadership.

Skill needed: You will need to know how to pull string to get promoted. (1 to 2 years promote once)

It has a nickname called Old Folks Home because most higher management are there to retire. Good company for those with no aspiration to climb the corporate ladder and wants a stable job or work till retirement.

FreshGraduate 27-02-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48729)
Pros:
- Worklife balance depending on which projects you are in.
- Flexible hours depending on your boss. (Some bosses tends to micro-manage.)
- AWS + avg 2.5 vb
- Benefits are generally better than other company. e.g 21 days leave, mobile allowance...

Cons:
- 24/7 support because you are mainly supporting the hospitals (sick also must work)
- High workload (you will be supporting two or more projects and dunno how many hospitals, not counting the projects you are supposed to backup your colleagues.)
- Less internal promotion because newly joined middle/higher management will bring in their own guys (mostly senior level, even without healthcare experience).
- Poor leadership.

Skill needed: You will need to know how to pull string to get promoted. (1 to 2 years promote once)

It has a nickname called Old Folks Home because most higher management are there to retire. Good company for those with no aspiration to climb the corporate ladder and wants a stable job or work till retirement.

Thank you sir. That's a very good insights and you are really generous sharing it. May i check what is the expected salary range for fresh graduate?

Unregistered 01-03-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48729)
Cons:
- Poor leadership.

What kind of support are you referring to? IT technician that sort of support? They don't need a degree holder for such support.

Unregistered 26-03-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46069)
got an interview for their graduate programme. any1 knows how the salary like?

I will be going down for their interview next week. I would like to know their salary and remuneration for their graduate programme too. Can any kind soul shed some light?

Unregistered 01-04-2014 08:13 PM

I wouldn't recommend this company for those who are young and aspire to go up the IT chain. All the management get in their own lackeys who usually are good in politics but not in getting the work done. It will take forever to get promoted unless you are a lackey of the big boss.

There are lots of clicks in the office and if you belong to one then you are OK. working here won't really improve your career prospects. Like someone rightly pointed out above it is for those who want to come and retire and want the security afforded by the GLC. Having ihis in your resume will not wow anybody and they seldom attract the kind of bright young individuals who are capable.

Don't join the company in the prime of your years, join it when you are close to retirement and can get a role like director.

Unregistered 29-04-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45290)
Mostly IT-based support for healthcare sector. It is a stable environment to work in, with work/life balance that means you get to knock off on time and your weekends will be untouched (unless you're on maintenance). Salary will not be fantastic but you can expect the standard 13 month + AWS (only)

You must be joking right? Either that or you're damn lucky to be enjoying life there.
Pay and benefits may be good, but work/life balance there isn't and you may even get calls on weekends if you're on projects. Some of us are on both projects as well as maintenance,
so getting calls for either is not uncommon.

Unregistered 22-05-2014 05:56 PM

Meaningful work

Actually, it’s quite fast paced here. The Regional Health Systems (healthcare groups) are expanding and prepared to invest in IT. Pay/benefits not bad at all.

My view is that it’s a good place to grow, ‘cause you get to work on latest systems, major projects, and they invest in your training. We get calls from headhunters ‘cause there’s a shortage of experienced healthcare-IT ppl. But I don’t think the turnover here is higher than in other IT companies.

I am here ‘cause of the meaningful work and good colleagues. Sometimes before a project roll out, I see team mates still in the office into the night and I am still here too. It’s not ‘cause we have to, but because the project can save lives, and we all feel an urgency to help.

oleole 24-05-2014 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50971)
You must be joking right? Either that or you're damn lucky to be enjoying life there.
Pay and benefits may be good, but work/life balance there isn't and you may even get calls on weekends if you're on projects. Some of us are on both projects as well as maintenance,
so getting calls for either is not uncommon.

I think his friend is trying to smoke him. Turnover is high compared even among govt sector. Healthcare is not an easy sector because the people there are demanding and does not have realistic expectation. So providing a service is really diffiult.

Having said that, this is a rice bowl enviroment if you can accept to be scolded and restart the next day. In short, ask around, probably not good remarks across the industry

All my friend left citing the same reason. Stress, no worklife balance, scolded by customers like no tomorrow, pay peanut using Ah kong money but expect to be treated like king.

Unregistered 24-05-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51669)
My view is that it’s a good place to grow, ‘cause you get to work on latest systems, major projects, and they invest in your training. We get calls from headhunters ‘cause there’s a shortage of experienced healthcare-IT ppl. But I don’t think the turnover here is higher than in other IT companies.

Let's all be honest with the rest that the growth here is minimal. In this place, you "grow" or promote by staying for as long as you can. It's a place for those who have no dreams of doing big in their career. Leave this place after a few years and you will find your experience has little value unless you plan on going into other gov healthcare groups.

Quote:

Actually, it’s quite fast paced here. The Regional Health Systems (healthcare groups) are expanding and prepared to invest in IT. Pay/benefits not bad at all.

You will feel the life here is fast paced because of all the pressings on you. You stand in-between everyone, and they all look up to you for answers that you don't even know. They will hold you for what ever answer you give to them and this is the stress. Your job is to be a good middleman.

Quote:

We get calls from headhunters ‘cause there’s a shortage of experienced healthcare-IT ppl. But I don’t think the turnover here is higher than in other IT companies.

In the end, for how ever long you stay at this place, you may learn something, but not many of these things you have learnt will bring you far. Before you think you are saving or going to save lives, no, you are not. They may sell you this novel idea too. The truth is, most of the time, you are just that admin/maintainer/mechanic/helpdesk guy for a system. When the real life savers (the doctors and nurses) have an issue with a system, they call you. You can't fix it, you call vendor. Vendor replies you, you are lucky. Vendor can't yet, you are deemed as hindering the life-saving process. Did you just think you are going to save lives? Think again.

You are just a middleman, what kind of headhunter calls do you think you can expect to receive?

Quote:

I am here ‘cause of the meaningful work and good colleagues. Sometimes before a project roll out, I see team mates still in the office into the night and I am still here too. It’s not ‘cause we have to, but because the project can save lives, and we all feel an urgency to help.

Turnover rate here is quite high from plain observation. Most people who are still in the office into the night will complain about their lives. It's naive to think that they are there because they are saving lives. Be honest.

Their pay is reasonable. AWS, VB and benefits are pretty good when compared to many companies.

For fresh graduates, just as what many here have said, stay away for you won't learn much. This cannot be your first job. You will waste your time here. If you have a thing for the healthcare sector, there are better places. This is a place for people who prepare to retire or enjoy bragging about the "big" things they had done when all they actually were doing were making phone calls and sending out emails, talking, talking and talking. That's the kind of IT you will be in, if you join them. You're warned.

LimKH 25-05-2014 05:12 PM

I think depends which team /project/ healthcare grp you’re working with. Personally, I find the docs, nurses quite appreciative.

To say we’re just middlemen is wrong. My team implements systems to achieve targets eg shorten process time 30%, reduce human errors - to improve nurses’ productivity or improve patient care/safety/waiting times.

To do this, we find suitable applications technologies equipment, and we write interfaces to sync them together. Plus we write additional applications to achieve exactly what we want. We pilot the system in a ward with the healthcare staff, refine, then implement across the hospital.

The hospitals’ statistics show benefits the systems have achieved. Eg. reduced medication errors & improved patient care. Working on such systems is satisfying.

Unregistered 26-05-2014 12:52 PM

At IHiS, you procure some systems from vendors –MNCs, SMEs, and you develop some bespoke systems with internal teams. On-going systems mgt - depends what type of system. Some you manage vendors for after-service, some you have internal maintenance teams, some routine maintenance outsourced.

This is if you are in project mgt teams. But there are other teams - customer facing CIO teams, development teams, maintenance teams, infrastructure teams, architecture teams. IHiS also has offices near different hospital grps.

Some teams very good camraderie, some teams so-so. So life can be quite different. Not happy with your users, team, work - can ask to change.

Unregistered 05-06-2014 10:33 AM

I concur on the lackey mentality. Those who are close to the senior management have opportunities, the rest just languish on the sidelines. Good if you're not ambitious and just want to collect a paycheck. If you start your career or join mid career into this kind of company, you will lose a lot of your technical skills, you will become a shadow operator or one who is good at playing politics.

Avoid at all costs unless you are part of mid/senior management

Unregistered 24-06-2014 08:08 PM

would there be lots of after office works and weekend

For system engineer on project.. arent the staff only work for a site as in 1 hospital only?

Unregistered 28-06-2014 11:45 PM

i have a job offer as sr systems engineer, can someone give some insights?

Unregistered 20-07-2014 09:34 PM

Hard life

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47025)
the good thing is, my friends working there can take long lunch breaks, tea breaks, morning breaks, dinner breaks as long as they like.

my frend's paper work along took as long as 3 months, which means he did almost nothing for 3 months while getting paid. how great can life be?

u will be working with many old birds around - nobody's breathing down your neck like in the private sector. to them, it's like a job for retirement. no risk, no surprises, and pretty stable.

who knows, the vacancies might be a sign of expanding sector too. healthcare industry is now expanding especially in sg with influx of foreign talents, better technology, and higher cancer rates.

You must be joking about taking long lunch breaks and all the breaks in between. Turnover is high not without reason.

Most times, we are sandwiched btwn mgmt and the users and those who work in offices directly facing the users are the worst hit.

If you think work in the healthcare industry should give you worklife balance, then you are wrong. Public holidays are always reserved for system maintenance or implementations. If you happen to work with a good team, you may be able to enjoy your planned leave break from work. However, if you're in a lean team, you can be sure that your break will be disturbed and interrupted.

To say that a certain degree of 'calling' is needed to work in IHIS is quite true.

Unregistered 22-07-2014 02:26 PM

hmmm....I have got an interview 3 weeks back, still no update. anyone knows the salary for a PM role?

Unregistered 23-07-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53647)
hmmm....I have got an interview 3 weeks back, still no update. anyone knows the salary for a PM role?

Their salary is based on BANDS, so even if you're a PM depends on which band you fall in. But their PM role is not a true PM role, its more or less project and vendor administration.

Unregistered 23-07-2014 04:04 PM

No matter how existing stafff try to beautify the job, there is no denying of the fact the place is far from attractive.

When was the last time you heard some guy who was offered a job in Google, IBM, SAP, Microsoft, Oracle etc. gave up and come to join IHiS?

If you look at the profile of the IT guys there, it's mostly people with CVs in SMEs, stat boards or GLC. Even then most of them don't stay long and hop onto another place fast.

The pay is only so so, basic + 1 mth aws + 2 mth bonus on average with erratic work hours. For those no choice because you cant get better offers or no ambition to move up, the job security and camaraderie might be attractive. For the rest, stay away if you can.

Unregistered 23-07-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53706)
No matter how existing stafff try to beautify the job, there is no denying of the fact the place is far from attractive.

When was the last time you heard some guy who was offered a job in Google, IBM, SAP, Microsoft, Oracle etc. gave up and come to join IHiS?

If you look at the profile of the IT guys there, it's mostly people with CVs in SMEs, stat boards or GLC. Even then most of them don't stay long and hop onto another place fast.

The pay is only so so, basic + 1 mth aws + 2 mth bonus on average with erratic work hours. For those no choice because you cant get better offers or no ambition to move up, the job security and camaraderie might be attractive. For the rest, stay away if you can.

dun even say well known companies lah, who can find job in a ministry will go IHiS instead

Unregistered 23-07-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53706)

Not true at all. There are a few top talents from big MNC like Exxon, Unilever, GSK, Apple etc. over here.

Unregistered 26-07-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51713)
Let's all be honest with the rest that the growth here is minimal. In this place, you "grow" or promote by staying for as long as you can. It's a place for those who have no dreams of doing big in their career. Leave this place after a few years and you will find your experience has little value unless you plan on going into other gov healthcare groups.

You will feel the life here is fast paced because of all the pressings on you. You stand in-between everyone, and they all look up to you for answers that you don't even know. They will hold you for what ever answer you give to them and this is the stress. Your job is to be a good middleman.

In the end, for how ever long you stay at this place, you may learn something, but not many of these things you have learnt will bring you far. Before you think you are saving or going to save lives, no, you are not. They may sell you this novel idea too. The truth is, most of the time, you are just that admin/maintainer/mechanic/helpdesk guy for a system. When the real life savers (the doctors and nurses) have an issue with a system, they call you. You can't fix it, you call vendor. Vendor replies you, you are lucky. Vendor can't yet, you are deemed as hindering the life-saving process. Did you just think you are going to save lives? Think again.

You are just a middleman, what kind of headhunter calls do you think you can expect to receive?

Turnover rate here is quite high from plain observation. Most people who are still in the office into the night will complain about their lives. It's naive to think that they are there because they are saving lives. Be honest.

Their pay is reasonable. AWS, VB and benefits are pretty good when compared to many companies.

For fresh graduates, just as what many here have said, stay away for you won't learn much. This cannot be your first job. You will waste your time here. If you have a thing for the healthcare sector, there are better places. This is a place for people who prepare to retire or enjoy bragging about the "big" things they had done when all they actually were doing were making phone calls and sending out emails, talking, talking and talking. That's the kind of IT you will be in, if you join them. You're warned.

what this guy mentioned is pretty true . As long as you are not the Drs and nurses , you're basically like a second citizen to them . I am not in IT nor IHIS , but supporting role in healthcare . There's a form of "hireachy " ( i guess it's same for most work places .. ), definitely the pay increment in healthcare isn't that fantastic to begin with unless you're the doctor.

Unregistered 26-07-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53716)
Not true at all. There are a few top talents from big MNC like Exxon, Unilever, GSK, Apple etc. over here.

this is complete BS!

i challenge you to name me who exactly in IHIS was a top talent in these mega mncs.

please lor, an associate or engineer in Exxon or any of the oil supermajor is likely paid more than a director in IHIS. the top talents there are paid much more than even the top drs here.

want to lie at least do it better, dun spread false info to mislead others who are thinking of applying

Unregistered 28-07-2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53858)
this is complete BS!

i challenge you to name me who exactly in IHIS was a top talent in these mega mncs.

please lor, an associate or engineer in Exxon or any of the oil supermajor is likely paid more than a director in IHIS. the top talents there are paid much more than even the top drs here.

want to lie at least do it better, dun spread false info to mislead others who are thinking of applying

I work there 1.5 years ago and never heard of anyone who was from these big MNC, much less so called top talent.

Unregistered 30-07-2014 09:19 AM

Is this place a good starting point for fresh graduates?

Unregistered 03-08-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53964)
Is this place a good starting point for fresh graduates?

Frankly, no. Be it their software engineer or analyst positions, this place is not one for fresh graduates to grow or learn. You will know almost immediately when you enter that place.