Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   got cheated in salary (verbal agreement) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2079-got-cheated-salary-verbal-agreement.html)

larry 17-07-2012 10:27 AM

got cheated in salary (verbal agreement)

during the interview, the boss verbally agreed that my salary is $X. then after confirming it and I turned all the other potential job prospects down, the contract stated $X-300 citing miscommunication as the issue. Every month is $300 less. I am so pissed. He say if I'm not happy can don't sign but what am I to do? I turned down all the other interviews already and if I don't sign, it will take another few months to find a job. I feel like I got cheated and this contract only last 6 months. Have any of you all encounter this before? This is so unethical!

lmaohaha 17-07-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry (Post 26688)
during the interview, the boss verbally agreed that my salary is $X. then after confirming it and I turned all the other potential job prospects down, the contract stated $X-300 citing miscommunication as the issue. Every month is $300 less. I am so pissed. He say if I'm not happy can don't sign but what am I to do? I turned down all the other interviews already and if I don't sign, it will take another few months to find a job. I feel like I got cheated and this contract only last 6 months. Have any of you all encounter this before? This is so unethical!

why would u turn down other offers when u havent put pen to paper?always hold on to other backup offers first, sign ur favored job, den rej the others. win-win situation.

larry 17-07-2012 10:39 AM

because this my current boss was a good friend of my ex-boss and was recommended by him so I trusted him. who knows i could be so unlucky?

Unregistered 17-07-2012 10:51 AM

It depends on what level you are, i.e. $x is how much?

If X is say 15k, it's possible that there could be some genuine mistake like allowance, wrong job grade or pay range constraint resulting in $300 less.

If X is 3k, then yes the boss is pulling a fast one.

Unregistered 17-07-2012 12:20 PM

I had a similar situation at my previous firm:

Caught sight of my colleague's e-payslip once when she asked me to help fixed her hanged computer. Realised that she was getting 20% more than me.

1 week later. I went to negotiate with boss. Said I received an offer 1.3x my current pay. (of course cannot mention that I caught sight of colleague's payslip but did a round-about nego tactic)

Boss agreed to match 1.3x but 2 weeks later said HR approved only 1.2x.

Hermit 17-07-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry (Post 26688)

Hi Larry, this is off to a bad start. Your new boss did not show good faith. Personally I will walk away.

Unregistered 17-07-2012 05:15 PM

since its only for 6 mths, y dont u juz skip it? or u can owase give notice and leave once u found a better one :)

poor and stupid 18-07-2012 02:58 PM

umm since we duno what is $x, hard to judge wor. as mentioned by other posts at the top, if 300 is onli 5% of x then not too bad, but if its like 25% of x (very possible ) its best u turn it down. who know what other tricks he will pull out during the 6mths

larry 18-07-2012 04:28 PM

$2.5k become $2.2k. Damn pissed cos I have other jobs who offered me $2.6k-$2.8k. But by the time I knew this, I have already turned them all down. I thought sacrifice bait get $2.5k for a change of environment will be good but now become $2.2k.

My parents told me the working world is full of such stuffs and I just learnt my first lesson as this is my first job :(

Unregistered 19-07-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry (Post 26747)
$2.5k become $2.2k. Damn pissed cos I have other jobs who offered me $2.6k-$2.8k. But by the time I knew this, I have already turned them all down. I thought sacrifice bait get $2.5k for a change of environment will be good but now become $2.2k.

My parents told me the working world is full of such stuffs and I just learnt my first lesson as this is my first job :(

learn your lesson and move on. thanks for sharing. i\'m sure it will benefit others.