Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MOH Graduate Studies Scholarship (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2043-ministry-health-singapore-graduate-studies-scholarship.html)

luminol 02-07-2012 04:05 PM

MOH Graduate Studies Scholarship

Hello,

I have been offered a scholarship by MOH to pursue a 1-year Masters in Biostatistics at a university in the UK. The problem is that the monthly stipend is only 1100 GBP (~2200 SGD), of which ~1000 GBP (~2000 SGD) goes to paying for accommodation and I'm left with 100 GBP as monthly expenses! This is clearly not as competitive as that of A*STAR/NUS overseas PHD scholarships' monthly stipend of 3200 SGD, on top of a separate allowance for accommodation.

I have heard from someone that the starting salary after the MOH Masters (whilst serving a 3 year bond for the 1 year Masters) is around 3.6K SGD. I'm not sure if there's increment. My ultimate aim is to get into a private pharmaceutical company such as Merck after the bond. Am I getting myself into a non-elite, "farmer" scholarship if I were to accept it? Please advise!

Unregistered 02-07-2012 05:03 PM

Will you still be paid your salary while you are studying?

For sure, there will be better scholarship offers out there, but if this is the best (or only) offer you've got, you got to think hard. Even if its not fully covered, it still goes a large chunk towards subsidizing your studies.

After you serve out your bond, the Masters is still yours to take away with you.

Unregistered 03-07-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luminol (Post 26304)
Hello,

I have been offered a scholarship by MOH to pursue a 1-year Masters in Biostatistics at a university in the UK. The problem is that the monthly stipend is only 1100 GBP (~2200 SGD), of which ~1000 GBP (~2000 SGD) goes to paying for accommodation and I'm left with 100 GBP as monthly expenses! This is clearly not as competitive as that of A*STAR/NUS overseas PHD scholarships' monthly stipend of 3200 SGD, on top of a separate allowance for accommodation.

I have heard from someone that the starting salary after the MOH Masters (whilst serving a 3 year bond for the 1 year Masters) is around 3.6K SGD. I'm not sure if there's increment. My ultimate aim is to get into a private pharmaceutical company such as Merck after the bond. Am I getting myself into a non-elite, "farmer" scholarship if I were to accept it? Please advise!

After Masters only 3.6K so little. I fresh grad (honous) in ministry (MX scheme) already 3.8K liao.But if that's the best you can get, just go for it.

Unregistered 03-07-2012 08:51 PM

Farmer

What will you be doing for Moh after you graduate? Is it of any relevance to a private pharma firm? Is working for Moh going to add value to your career goals or detract fom it?

If you want to work for private pharma why not aim for that right way?

Definitely farmer scholarship

Hermit 11-07-2012 01:03 PM

luminol, MOH may throw you into a place like SCRI or NMRC when you come back. Are they where you want to be?

Unregistered 11-07-2012 10:31 PM

Hi, monthly accommodation won't be as high as 1000 pounds. Even in London, staying in the hostels shouldn't cost more than 500 pounds. Andy hostels typically cost significantly more than private houses. I am from a Stat board and am going to Plymouth in UK to study hydrography.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luminol (Post 26304)
Hello,

Unregistered 11-07-2012 11:24 PM

To be eligible for this scholarship, I presume u must be quite young (under 35) and more importantly, possess a considerably decent CEP. I would think that your current potential is MX9 (Superscale (h)...which is actually the lowest end of the superscale spectrum). Should you go for this Masters, your potential may possibly be enhanced to MX8. As for scholars, most of them do not reside on MX scheme as they are on the more superior AO scheme

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26349)
What will you be doing for Moh after you graduate? Is it of any relevance to a private pharma firm? Is working for Moh going to add value to your career goals or detract fom it?

If you want to work for private pharma why not aim for that right way?

Definitely farmer scholarship

Unregistered 12-07-2012 08:14 AM

If you have a choice between scholarships of course you take the better one lah.

But if this offer is the only one you have and you don't know if you will get other scholarship offers you grab it. Turning down this offer could be a negative strike on your record.

Even if it is a "farmer" scholarship it is still one better than an ordinary MX officer.

Unregistered 20-02-2013 11:53 PM

hi,

so in the end, did you take the scholarship?

Cos I am intending to apply too.. If you did take, how's the salary like? Is the monthly stipend enough to cover expenses in the UK?

jobhunter1234 21-02-2013 01:55 PM

hi. Would like to know the starting salary for first class hons working at MOH