Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Can fresh grad negotiate for higher starting pay in stat board? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2025-can-fresh-grad-negotiate-higher-starting-pay-stat-board.html)

geekinthepink 25-06-2012 11:37 PM

Can fresh grad negotiate for higher starting pay in stat board?

Hi, I'm a female fresh graduate from NUS. I did my Honours and graduated with a second upper. I have a job offer from a stat board, the starting pay is $3150. Is this the standard starting pay for a fresh grad seeking employment in a stat board? I'm really excited to start work and am enthusiastic about the job scope.

However I also get the impression that some of the other ministries pay higher starting pay. Is it a good idea to attempt to negotiate for higher starting pay, although I am a fresh grad? I have a good CCA record, have gone for exchange programmes, have good O level and A level results.

Unregistered 26-06-2012 12:03 AM

No. Unless you have something unique or special that they have identified and so die-die must have you, otherwise its quite fixed according to your honours class.

Unregistered 26-06-2012 12:42 AM

All fresh degree grad (with totally ZERO working exp) have ZERO negotiating power to ministry or statboard, they will pay you accordingly to you class of honours or/and with NS if applicable.

can reveal what statboard? if cannot can at least reveal in statboard is under which ministry?

Thank you

Unregistered 26-06-2012 09:43 AM

Before you take up the job, are the job skills generic? High starting pay, however there may not be a road ahead with generic skills.
People who then move to private sector will then offer paycut. Just for consideration.

max1 26-06-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekinthepink (Post 26084)
Hi, I'm a female fresh graduate from NUS. I did my Honours and graduated with a second upper. I have a job offer from a stat board, the starting pay is $3150. Is this the standard starting pay for a fresh grad seeking employment in a stat board? I'm really excited to start work and am enthusiastic about the job scope.

However I also get the impression that some of the other ministries pay higher starting pay. Is it a good idea to attempt to negotiate for higher starting pay, although I am a fresh grad? I have a good CCA record, have gone for exchange programmes, have good O level and A level results.

Better think through carefully. $3150 starting or whatever higher amount other ministries can offer you might seem a lot now, but as a non-scholar once you get in, career is floored no matter what you do.

Early 30s - 5k+ (Senior Manager)
Early 40s - 7k+ (Asst Director)
Early 50s - 8k+ (Dy Director)
Beyond - Stagnate and get basic wage infation increment

Go in with your eyes wide open, there is a price to pay for job stability.

Unregistered 26-06-2012 10:44 AM

She can always hop to private sector / MNC.

Unregistered 26-06-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekinthepink (Post 26084)

other thread have female stating the starting pay is 3.2k with 2nd upper in ministry in 2012

and got source have female as DXO 1st class fresh grad getting 3.4-3.5k starting in 2012

Unregistered 28-06-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max1 (Post 26098)
Better think through carefully. $3150 starting or whatever higher amount other ministries can offer you might seem a lot now, but as a non-scholar once you get in, career is floored no matter what you do.

Early 30s - 5k+ (Senior Manager)
Early 40s - 7k+ (Asst Director)
Early 50s - 8k+ (Dy Director)
Beyond - Stagnate and get basic wage infation increment

Go in with your eyes wide open, there is a price to pay for job stability.

my DD is a ministry was already getting 8-9k+ when in early 40s. now mid 40s, a Dir and on superscale with 10K+

Unregistered 28-06-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26205)
my DD is a ministry was already getting 8-9k+ when in early 40s. now mid 40s, a Dir and on superscale with 10K+

How much bonus can Dirs get?

Unregistered 28-06-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26206)
How much bonus can Dirs get?

base on FY 2011

Apr - PB shoud be range from 2-4mth???I dunno
July - 0.5mth +250
Dec - 0.75mth + 1 AWS

Annual = 16.25-18.25mth + 250

calculated>>162k to 182k annual??