Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision - Page 542 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision

Old 27-04-2023, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Default Interview Experience for MCCY

Hi all,

I had a first-round interview with MCCY folks 2 days ago. It is for an engagement session which I am really interested in, and I do know about their structure and projects as my past working experiences have been related. I am also in the public sector currently.

I would say that the interview was abit … demoralising because it was only between 30 – 40 minutes. But I still hope. The interviewers have told me point-blank that I know a lot about what they do, and they foresee that I would be a great fit to their team. However, they were concerned about my job history because my previous 2 jobs were 1-2 years. They told me that they would need to be assured that if I were to be selected, that I would stay for the long term. I honestly believe that I would, because getting into MCCY has been a dream of mine since graduation. One of the HR reps in the panel also kinda gave me a stree-test by asking me if I had considered applying for other engagement roles in other public agencies, to which I had replied no. I mean it’s the truth, since I am not that desperate for a job to be firing my application everywhere.

They informed me that there would be a final round of interview, and that they are still interviewing other candidates. HR would then collate the list of shortlisted candidates for the final round of interview and should “contact me within 2 weeks”. Honestly, the 2-weeks thing that HR usually say – its non-committal la.

After the interview, I rarely do this but I sent each and every one of the interviewers a thank-you note.

==

Now here is the thing, based on my experiences (I have been in the public sector long enough), if the first round interview panellists are interested in you, they would have surfaced the eligible candidates as soon as possible. Usually, I would have received the call for the second interview by the next day or even on the same day (as with MCI REACH and MOM). Hence, it is really worrying.

Thus, I would like to seek your views on:

1. If you have applied/interviewed for MCCY recently, how was your experience?

2. For people in CS/PS in general, how long did HR take to notify you of the invitation for second interview, from the first interview?

Thanks

Old 27-04-2023, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

After signing the loa, but there is still sometime before u
start working at new job like maybe like in 2 months
Will there be u turn situation like they take back their offer ?
Feel like throwing letter earlier but scared later u turn from new job?
Please advise.

Need to serve 1 month notice in current company.

Old 27-04-2023, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Please advise.

The chance will never be zero

But having an LOA is as secure as it gets

Old 27-04-2023, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The chance will never be zero

But having an LOA is as secure as it gets
Meaning there is still a risk.
Chance is not zero then how much will it be?
Old 27-04-2023, 10:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

I had a first-round interview with MCCY folks 2 days ago. It is for an engagement session which I am really interested in, and I do know about their structure and projects as my past working experiences have been related. I am also in the public sector currently.

I would say that the interview was abit … demoralising because it was only between 30 – 40 minutes. But I still hope. The interviewers have told me point-blank that I know a lot about what they do, and they foresee that I would be a great fit to their team. However, they were concerned about my job history because my previous 2 jobs were 1-2 years. They told me that they would need to be assured that if I were to be selected, that I would stay for the long term. I honestly believe that I would, because getting into MCCY has been a dream of mine since graduation. One of the HR reps in the panel also kinda gave me a stress-test by asking me if I had considered applying for other engagement roles in other public agencies, to which I had replied no. I mean it’s the truth, since I am not that desperate for a job to be firing my application everywhere.

They informed me that there would be a final round of interview, and that they are still interviewing other candidates. HR would then collate the list of shortlisted candidates for the final round of interview and should “contact me within 2 weeks”. Honestly, the 2-weeks thing that HR usually say – its non-committal la.

After the interview, I rarely do this but I sent each and every one of the interviewers a thank-you note.

==

Now here is the thing, based on my experiences (I have been in the public sector long enough), if the first round interview panellists are interested in you, they would have surfaced the eligible candidates as soon as possible. Usually, I would have received the call for the second interview by the next day or even on the same day (as with MCI REACH and MOM). Hence, it is really worrying.

2. For people in CS/PS in general, how long did HR take to notify you of the invitation for second interview, from the first interview?

Thanks

Hey I am in the same position too anyone can advice?
Old 27-04-2023, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

hi all, do you all apply for a new role through HRP or apply through careers@gov website?

Will HR know when we are applying for other roles?

Old 28-04-2023, 03:40 AM
Unregistered

Hi, does anyone has idea on HDB hiring timeline? How long do they take to offer candidate?
Old 28-04-2023, 07:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Please advise.

Dont understand your situation. Why is there a 2 month gap from signing your LOA to starting the new job? You mentioned you only need to serve 1 mth notice. So the other 1 month what are you doing?

And no one can predict what are the chances of LOA being rescinded. If u so scared, faster serve 1-month notice and go join the new coy ASAP lor
Old 28-04-2023, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dont understand your situation. Why is there a 2 month gap from signing your LOA to starting the new job? You mentioned you only need to serve 1 mth notice. So the other 1 month what are you doing?

And no one can predict what are the chances of LOA being rescinded. If u so scared, faster serve 1-month notice and go join the new coy ASAP lor
Personal issue to settle.
Old 28-04-2023, 04:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

I would say that the interview was abit … demoralising because it was only between 30 – 40 minutes. But I still hope. The interviewers have told me point-blank that I know a lot about what they do, and they foresee that I would be a great fit to their team. However, they were concerned about my job history because my previous 2 jobs were 1-2 years. They told me that they would need to be assured that if I were to be selected, that I would stay for the long term. I honestly believe that I would, because getting into MCCY has been a dream of mine since graduation. One of the HR reps in the panel also kinda gave me a stree-test by asking me if I had considered applying for other engagement roles in other public agencies, to which I had replied no. I mean it’s the truth, since I am not that desperate for a job to be firing my application everywhere.

==

Thanks
Can't answer your questions, but personally I have a one year contract stint (private sector) and was questioned intensely about it during my interview for a CS position like "Why only one year then you left" it was dumb how fixated the guy was on it. The job prior to that contract job I worked for 3 years but he didn't ask anything about it, didn't ask what I did in that one year. Just why did I work only for a year. Like bruh it was a one year contract job, it's not that deep.

Plus nowadays everyone's working 1 to 2 years then jumping is getting more common as there's no point in wasting your time in a role that you're not happy with and are always on the lookout for better opportunities. We all have a limited lifespan before we're considered old workers anyway. Not to mention a lot of govt agencies like to pull the contract job BS.

I rejected that job as I wouldn't want to work other someone like that and took up a position elsewhere.