Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision - Page 204 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision

Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 

Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I only had a contract job experience (which was paid quite poorly below market rate). Switching into another field in public sector but the job experience I had is not relevant. Will the salary be lowballed, or will I be considered as a fresh grad and getting a decent salary?
It will depend. I have had a conversation with HR a few years back because my starting salary low as a frontline worker (I was working at a front desk job), and his explaination was that if I ever transition to a managing role in a non-related field from a frontliner and if the previous company is willing to provide you with a reference, you might be able to start off with a pay in the management level if you get the job rather than scaling off from your frontline pay. However, if it's another entry level role, your pay will likely be scaled according to your previous pay unless you have relevant experience you can bring from your past workplace. If your workplace knows they can get away with paying you lower, they will do so.

Let us know how long you have been in the workforce, add maybe a short description of your previous contract job, talk about the current position you are applying to as well as where you graduated from so we have more to be able to help you. However, you should expect to be lowballed for most entry level jobs given the current climate and the number of competitors you are facing (many fresh grads now since it's June).

Old 05-06-2020, 01:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Entered the second round interview but failed it back in Nov 2019. The person that conducted the day 1 activities was a new hire for about 9 months, and he told us that he worked till around 11pm most of the time for the first 6 months because he was so busy trying to learn the ropes during an honest conversation at the end of day 1. Starting pay averaging 4.5k for FSO regardless of track, though I'm not sure if the pay will scale according to your work exp.

According to him, not a lot of onboarding except for the most basic first 2-3 days HR spiel if you are really unlucky because it's up to the senior before you to guide. For him, his senior left for the 3 year overseas posting about a week or two into his job so he had to learn a lot on the job by asking around. I honestly can't remember if his department gave him any support during his first months since it's been nearly half a year since I went for the interview and I don't remember much of the conversation, but it is likely they did so even if it was in a limited fashion. Can't remember if your role rotates after every 6 year cycle of local+overseas or if its on a yearly basis.

Basically, you should enter expecting the worst while hoping for the best as with any other job. The FSO role is pretty backbreaking, but you'll at least have a meaningful career and never stay bored for too long.

Thanks for the reply. Wondering if anyone can clarify what the pay scale is like at mfa? How does it compare to the MX track, besides the difference in starting pay?

Old 05-06-2020, 04:14 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Hi. Does anyone know the hiring process/timeline for LTA. Itís been two weeks since I had my second interview and thereís been no news till now. Checked [email protected] and itís still indicated as ďShortlistedĒ. Not sure if they will send an email upon rejection. Pretty much nerve-wrecking to be waiting without any updates.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi. Does anyone know the hiring process/timeline for LTA. Itís been two weeks since I had my second interview and thereís been no news till now. Checked [email protected] and itís still indicated as ďShortlistedĒ. Not sure if they will send an email upon rejection. Pretty much nerve-wrecking to be waiting without any updates.

Thanks.
Iím in the same boat as you (but not LTA)... been more than 2 weeks since 2nd interview
Old 05-06-2020, 04:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Iím in the same boat as you (but not LTA)... been more than 2 weeks since 2nd interview
Were there any updates on [email protected] for your case? I heard that some agencies do not upload the status of the application.

Not sure if I should continue waiting or take it as an indication that they have rejected me.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Were there any updates on [email protected] for your case? I heard that some agencies do not upload the status of the application.

Not sure if I should continue waiting or take it as an indication that they have rejected me.
Mine is still ďin processď! Status didnít change since 1st interview. Have you checked in with HR?

Old 05-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Mine is still ďin processď! Status didnít change since 1st interview. Have you checked in with HR?
Havenít. Iím not sure when will be a good time to check. How about you?
Old 05-06-2020, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Havenít. Iím not sure when will be a good time to check. How about you?
I checked in at the 2 week mark! They said they will get back to me once they have decided. So itís still a waiting game now
Old 05-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I checked in at the 2 week mark! They said they will get back to me once they have decided. So itís still a waiting game now
Hmm, ok sure. Maybe I should do so as well. Good luck on your application!
Old 05-06-2020, 05:19 PM
Unregistered

Hi all,

It's been 4 weeks since I received a call from HR for verbal offer & salary package. Emailed HR last week for an update on the progress but it's been radio silence. What should I do?