Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision - Page 200 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision

Old 02-06-2020, 01:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Guys can I just ask:

I got an offer from CPF as a 2019 social science NUS grad for a customer service role. They are offering mid 2k before CPF with a $250 allowance a month, and I'll get promoted to an exec role if I stay for a year if they renew the contract.

I am honestly so very tired of job hunting (been doing it for a year) so I want to take up this job, but my main conflict is how I will be able to build a career outside of the organization with just CPF product knowledge as well as experience handling inbound calls.

I am just unsure of where I can go to next after I spend a year with CPF. Was wondering if anyone here can help shed some light on if my experience at the job will be helpful in any other career paths going forward.
Friend, have you been actively sending out applications to the various agencies? To be honest, I think the amount offered is really low for a grad. But if u have been looking for a job for a while and to no avail, suggest that you should take it up first, while at it, keep a lookout if u are still interested in changing job.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Friend, have you been actively sending out applications to the various agencies? To be honest, I think the amount offered is really low for a grad. But if u have been looking for a job for a while and to no avail, suggest that you should take it up first, while at it, keep a lookout if u are still interested in changing job.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've been using job boards and agencies for quite a while. Gone through about 5 2nd round interviews up till today, and this is my first offer. Do you know if anything I learn from CPF (product knowledge) can be transferred to another SB/ industry?

I've also have another offer for a finanical advisor position that came at the same time as CPF that is offering me a contract once I finish the necessary exams, but I'm honestly not very sure since this is a sales position and I'm not sure if I can hit the KPI. I think this is a better position given that it's a good entry point into finance...

CPF is asking me to sign by the end of the week, so I'm really looking for a second opinion on how staying at CPF can help my career because everyone around me is telling me to just take the position over the FA job but I feel like I won't be doing anything to help my career there.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. There might be a double post since one of my earlier ones is being moderated, but I want to see if I can get this out ASAP.

I've been spamming job boards & agencies for the past year and have gone for about 5 2nd round interviews. This is my first offer, and I know the pay isn't that great; but I'm more looking to know if the product knowledge I learn at CPF in a customer service position can help me with my career after my contract (e.g. can move on to another stat board/ which industry will what I learn be useful) since I don't think I can climb if I stay anyway.

I also received another offer for a financial advisor role where the coy will send me the contract once I've cleared the necessary exams. I think this is a better option since it can help me get into the finance industry, but the opinions of the people around me are more about taking the CPF job since both them and I agree that a sales related position isn't something I'm suited for.

CPF is rushing me to reply by the week or the offer is gone, so I'm really looking for a second opinion on if it can help with my career. I'm just worried about where else I can even apply if I take the CPF job given that I've already been rejected for a whole year and also because I can't think of any other career paths I can use what I've learnt from CPF to help with my career.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 02-06-2020, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. There might be a double post since one of my earlier ones is being moderated, but I want to see if I can get this out ASAP.

I've been spamming job boards & agencies for the past year and have gone for about 5 2nd round interviews. This is my first offer, and I know the pay isn't that great; but I'm more looking to know if the product knowledge I learn at CPF in a customer service position can help me with my career after my contract (e.g. can move on to another stat board/ which industry will what I learn be useful) since I don't think I can climb if I stay anyway.

I also received another offer for a financial advisor role where the coy will send me the contract once I've cleared the necessary exams. I think this is a better option since it can help me get into the finance industry, but the opinions of the people around me are more about taking the CPF job since both them and I agree that a sales related position isn't something I'm suited for.

CPF is rushing me to reply by the week or the offer is gone, so I'm really looking for a second opinion on if it can help with my career. I'm just worried about where else I can even apply if I take the CPF job given that I've already been rejected for a whole year and also because I can't think of any other career paths I can use what I've learnt from CPF to help with my career.
I would suggest taking the offer from CPF, and for you to also concurrently continue to upskill yourself (e.g. clear the mentioned financial advisor exams). Once cleared further down the line, then evaluate your career choices again.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

I've been spamming job boards & agencies for the past year and have gone for about 5 2nd round interviews. This is my first offer, and I know the pay isn't that great; but I'm more looking to know if the product knowledge I learn at CPF in a customer service position can help me with my career after my contract (e.g. can move on to another stat board/ which industry will what I learn be useful) since I don't think I can climb if I stay anyway....
Hey! Based on what you've explained, i think you should just go ahead and take the job first if you also believe it will catapult you into your intended career trajectory. I think the pay is low because it's a position for diploma holders so it doesnt match degree pay. If you're ok then go for it! don't miss the offer. Update us
Old 02-06-2020, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
Talking about reference checks, what exactly is checked ah when it comes to applying for ministries and sb? Especially for fresh grads with only intern experience. Seems like there’s nothing much to check leh, but was wondering what to expect. Will they only call up the references I provided on my application or will they call up every single employment I listed on my resume for employment verification/character questioning?
Eh, it really depends on how thorough HR wants to be. My sis-in-law is in HR in pte firm, she says usually they do reference checks w your prev employers to assess your aptitude and attitude. Just to ensure you're a good fit and they have a better idea of your character as a worker and individual. Don't have to be worried about ref checks unless you f-ed up big time and left on a sour note w your prev employer lol. W intern experience, they probably can call your prev internship employer / prev lecturers to find out more abt you as well (if you provided them as reference contacts).

Old 02-06-2020, 12:44 PM

sinkingfeeling is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Eh, it really depends on how thorough HR wants to be. My sis-in-law is in HR in pte firm, she says usually they do reference checks w your prev employers to assess your aptitude and attitude. Just to ensure you're a good fit and they have a better idea of your character as a worker and individual. Don't have to be worried about ref checks unless you f-ed up big time and left on a sour note w your prev employer lol. W intern experience, they probably can call your prev internship employer / prev lecturers to find out more abt you as well (if you provided them as reference contacts).
I was fired from my last job due to incompetence

I only have a private degree with 3rd class hons

Like that I might as well not apply to gov jobs?
Old 02-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I would suggest taking the offer from CPF, and for you to also concurrently continue to upskill yourself (e.g. clear the mentioned financial advisor exams). Once cleared further down the line, then evaluate your career choices again.
Quote:
Hey! Based on what you've explained, i think you should just go ahead and take the job first if you also believe it will catapult you into your intended career trajectory. I think the pay is low because it's a position for diploma holders so it doesnt match degree pay. If you're ok then go for it! don't miss the offer. Update us
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm actually thinking of accepting the offer first while taking the courses/exams provided by the fin advisor coy because the CPF job training only starts in July, which coincides with the end of the certification courses.

One question though; Generally speaking, what exactly happens when you turn down a job after signing the contact but haven't actually started work/ training yet? I've read up on it a little on it and it seems that there is a possibility of the employer seeking a civil lawsuit, though I think it is unlikely they'd do something like that for an offer at this level.

I'm more afraid of being blacklisted by the stat board after pulling a stunt like this, since this might impair my chances of ever entering the gov sector again.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm currently thinking of taking up the offer while completing the courses because the CPF job will only start in July.

My main concern is potentially turning down the CPF job before I start work if I pass the exams/ better offers come in before then because I'm afraid that pulling a stunt like that might lead to my being blacklisted on the stat board, which might harm my chances of working in the gov sector again.

What exactly happens when you turn down a job after signing the contract but haven't started your first day?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-06-2020, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm currently thinking of taking up the offer while completing the courses because the CPF job will only start in July.

My main concern is potentially turning down the CPF job before I start work if I pass the exams/ better offers come in before then because I'm afraid that pulling a stunt like that might lead to my being blacklisted on the stat board, which might harm my chances of working in the gov sector again.

What exactly happens when you turn down a job after signing the contract but haven't started your first day?

Thanks for all the help!
go for the CPF job and pass the exams

stay on at CPF for 3 to 6 months at least (cause sales related job during COVID is a nightmare)

financial advisor jobs are 'always' there, can literally join anytime