Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Would Like To Seek Advices (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1952-would-like-seek-advices.html)

EXO 29-05-2012 07:39 PM

Would Like To Seek Advices

Same old story.

Performed average for GCE 'A' Levels but unable to do well enough to qualify for local universities.

As expected, received rejection letters from all 3 universities.

Thus far, comparing UAS with my fellow peers, I am able to get into 'less-prestigious' Engineering courses in local universities.

Have also applied to SIM where I'm able to pursue my passion and interest and it's an industry I forsee my future to be in (compared to Engineering).

My options are as follow:

01 Appeal for Engineering (Suck it up and do engineering & won't probably do well as I'm not good with Physics & Mathematics)
02 Appeal for Business/Economics (But UAS are kinda a far cry from their IGP 10th percentile; chances are fairly slim)
03 Go ahead with SIM. (Future career prospects?)

Thank you for your inputs!
It would be good if I could get advices from experienced individuals out in the working society now.
It's only a few days more to deadline of appeal.

PS. Option of overseas education is out as parents disallow it.

Unregistered 29-05-2012 08:20 PM

Can you afford overseas education? If yes, why are your parents "disallowing" it?

Unregistered 29-05-2012 09:07 PM

Never ever enter engineering even as a last resort. You'll regret it for life.

poor and stupid 30-05-2012 10:31 AM

NO ENGINEERING, study other crappy subject also no engineering. Not only the pay low, there got a lot of cheena people who cannot get into other courses due to language barrier to come and trash you and push your pay lower than them cos ur results sux.

Unregistered 30-05-2012 11:17 AM

all else equal, local deg cert > private deg

but considering you're not good at engineering subjects and have no passion, just do what you're best at, especially if you enjoy it.

good luck

Unregistered 30-05-2012 01:59 PM

Engineering at local UNI still better than SIM. Take engine and apply for other jobs outside of engineering.

Unregistered 30-05-2012 02:12 PM

I'm of the opinion that FASS is much better than engineering in all aspects.

wern 30-05-2012 05:10 PM

take local uni engin and work in civil service or teach math/physics in schools, basically avoid those places with alot of prc and the sort.

Unregistered 31-05-2012 08:46 AM

My bro took the "less prestigious" engineering course at ntu but after he graduated, couldn't find a job in engineering so he went into other field but salary sucks cos he is not expertise in that field. If u wan to go local u, be prepared to upgrade urself to study other areas if u are not working in engineering field in future. Btw, my friend from SIM business school has almost the same pay as my bro. My advice: go into something u like, it goes a long way.

poor and stupid 31-05-2012 10:51 AM

Btw, there are office aunties(dip), do paper work nia, duno what they type/pretend to be typing while surfing korean drama sites also get higher pay than (b/ms)engineer/programmers!