Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salaries of Professors in SG (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1944-salaries-professors-sg.html)

Unregistered 23-03-2013 01:54 AM

And to add on:

7. The pay for Profs is really very industry specific. Fresh law graduates in the top 20% already start at 5.5k, while 4th year legal associates can easily get 10 - 12k. So an assistant professor of law will definitely be getting at least 15k - 20k, while a full professor could get 50k.
On the other hand, fresh engin grads in the top 20% get about 3.5k, so if you extrapolate this, then perhaps an assistant prof of engin will get maybe 10k.

To the person above who stated that quants don't make above 20k, I don't really agree. I know a couple of them that definitely make way above 20k. Base pay, yes, maybe they don't get above 250k a year. But when you factor in their 300k bonus, then they are really getting at least 40k a month. (again, depends on which bank and level of seniority. Goldman Sachs obviously pays much more than DBS Bank).

Unregistered 01-06-2013 02:07 PM

goods ignvori

Very true. Range is very large and depends on the field. For example, business and law school general draw almost twice of engineering or other social sciences. Therefore, it is so common to see economics or psychology PhD grads try to get into biz school faculty. Also common to see new asst prof drawing more than assoc prof (from older generation). So it is very hard to estimate without being in the industry yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34711)
Yep. They do.

All the answers that give vastly varying figures from 6k/month to 20k/month are all correct. The pay for profs is heavily dependent on a number of factors like:
1. What is your specific Phd in. A Phd(Finance) from a tier 1 American university is damn rare, and the prof will very easily get 30k a month starting. A Phd(Economics) from the same university will probably get at most 15k - 20k a month, simply because that Phd is easier to get from a Finance Phd.

2. Amount of academic research the Prof has done.
3. Amount of industry experience. (This factor doesn't weigh as heavily as academic research, since profs are academics after all.

4. You can't compare a poly lecturer pay to a university professor. it's really... very different.

5. How rich the university is, and the current strategy the university is employing. SMU is trying to grow their faculty very rapidly, and they are also very rich. They simply offer the NUS and NTU profs more money, and so they switch over to SMU. So assoc. profs in SMU easily get 300k - 400k /year, while those in NUS get 200k - 300k for teaching the exact same thing. [For 300k range, i'm assuming Phd in Finance, Law or Business. Other types of Phd don't get so much].

6. And of course, it also depends on how well the Prof teaches.

cslee 02-06-2013 03:08 PM

I remember the recent sex-for-grade case for A/Prof Tey who is a ex-district judge. The paper revealed that he made $225K in 2010.

That should give some clues...

Law prof Tey Tsun Hang found guilty in sex-for-grades case - Channel NewsAsia

During the three-hour long judgement, Tey was described as not having any "basic decency" as he made Ms Ko pay his expenses for a trip to the United States. At that time, Ms Ko was an exchange student at Duke University and Tey visited her, but only offered to pay his own airfare.

The judge said this happened when the law professor was earning S$225,000 as at February 2010, while Ms Ko was a mere student.

cslee 02-06-2013 03:15 PM

Another reliable source: Singapore Law Watch - Prosecution calls for jail term for prof

He (Tey) was drawing an annual salary of $225,000 at NUS. But the university, following his conviction, terminated his appointment with immediate effect.

Unregistered 05-06-2013 09:25 PM

Heard of asst profs (fresh from phd) get around 100k

Unregistered 27-06-2013 12:24 PM

Recr. Process

can anyone give me insight on the time period required for recruitment process with NUS after shortlisting?

Unregistered 09-07-2013 01:45 AM

This thread is really very insightful. Lots of great comments from people. Camping here for more. :)

Unregistered 09-07-2013 08:46 AM

Ex-NUS law prof starts serving five-month jail term

"Tey was earning an annual salary of more than $225,000 at NUS."

Unregistered 14-09-2013 08:26 AM

The 3 universities pay quite competitively -- although as pointed out, ceteris paribus, SMU "usually" pays better since it is newer.

I received my PhD from one of the US universities that the OP mentioned in the 1st page. Received an offer from one of the universities in Singapore (Asst. Prof position). I don't remember the exact figures, but the pay is $12k+ per month, with additional research money.

Some comments for those thinking of doing PhD
1. Getting into a top program is essential if you want to land a good job thereafter. The prestige, training, network, etc all come into play.

2. But getting into a top program is highly random. Top PhD programs are highly selective, and they only accept few students per year from all over the work.

3. I'm not sure how important your undergrad grades is in helping you to get into a program. I "only" have a 2nd class Upper from a local university, and I got into one of the top 3 programs in my field. Go figure :) (But I do have a 99-percentile test score and some crazy work experience when I was applying.... those might have helped...)

4. Suppose you do graduate with your PhD. Congrats! Now, there is new uncertainties in term of your placement. You would be competing with a pool of highly qualified PhDs (newly minted + senior assistant profs who didn't get tenured) on the job market. The prestige, training, network from your school can help you to open some doors and maybe get some flyouts. But after that, very much depends on how you perform during your job talks and interviews, relative to other job candidates (i.e., your competitors). It also depends on how good the job market is during the year that you graduate - and there is no way you can predict what's the market is going to be like in 6 to 7 years time.

Finally, a job in a good/top university is going to pay you well. After being a poor and broke graduate student for 5 to 6 years, any amount would seem like the best gift from heaven :). However, while the starting pay is attractive, the _increment_ from year to year isn't going to be huge, compared to what happens in the industry. If $$$ is what you are after, go do an MBA.

Unregistered 07-01-2014 09:18 PM

Sorry to bump up this thread, but does anyone know what the average salarly for an Social Sciences Professor is? Thanks!