Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salaries of Professors in SG (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1944-salaries-professors-sg.html)

Unregistered 20-12-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31714)
Got a friend with fresh phd offered teaching job at a Poly only on a $4K pm salary. isnt it too low?

thats about it. why poly? with a phD, better to look for something in the universities, there are so many nowadays here!

Unregistered 23-12-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31730)
thats about it. why poly? with a phD, better to look for something in the universities, there are so many nowadays here!

there are also many phds holders to pick. unless you are from the top ivy league, chances of getting into local uni is very very slim.

Unregistered 23-12-2012 11:49 PM

consider rsoldH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31058)
Nope. Its about 140k pa. But! You get a LOT LOT LOT of free time to earn extra teaching money elsewhere by teaching other courses.

if they are teaching elsewhere, most probaby tertiary, that would be a direct conflict of interest. will be sacked by SMU. SMU gives so called 'free time' is for the acad staff to churn out publication, not for moonlighting.

Unregistered 24-12-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31714)
Got a friend with fresh phd offered teaching job at a Poly only on a $4K pm salary. isnt it too low?

That's about right.

Unregistered 12-02-2013 11:51 PM

updated salaries?
 
Hi,

the most recent data i found about salaries of professors in singapore were back in 2004. Does anyone have any information on recent data for assistant, associate and/or full professor in the leading business schools (i.e. in accounting and finance fields) at Singapore?


Thank you

Unregistered 14-02-2013 08:39 PM

Passion. Motivation. Thirst for knowledge and change.

good luck TS. I hope your dreams turn to reality.

Unregistered 28-02-2013 04:53 PM

It might be better to listen to your heart as no one else could make the decision for you. About 13 years ago, I took a leap of faith, quitted my job and pursued a phd. I like research and I am now a full prof in local university. I like the job and enjoy being with young and energitic people. My papers are well cited and useful to both academics and practitioners. That is something money cannot buy. I don't think maximizing my wealth is the most ineresting thing I could do with my life. My circle of friends are serious researchers and they are are not big spenders. We are pretty contented individuals. :-)

There are risks for not getting tenure... That's why you must be truly passionate...

Unregistered 17-03-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33664)
It might be better to listen to your heart as no one else could make the decision for you. About 13 years ago, I took a leap of faith, quitted my job and pursued a phd. I like research and I am now a full prof in local university. I like the job and enjoy being with young and energitic people. My papers are well cited and useful to both academics and practitioners. That is something money cannot buy. I don't think maximizing my wealth is the most ineresting thing I could do with my life. My circle of friends are serious researchers and they are are not big spenders. We are pretty contented individuals. :-)

There are risks for not getting tenure... That's why you must be truly passionate...


Is it possible for me to do a PhD which is not related to my current job scope and still end up teaching this new subject after graduating w the PhD?

For example, I am not currently working in finance. But I wish to do a PhD in finance and be a finance lecturer upon graduation. Is this possible?

Appreciate any insights on this matter :)

Unregistered 18-03-2013 04:25 PM

June 2010 report on wages, MOM. Under the category, University and Poly Lecturers.

Mean: $7,170
First Percentile: $5,050 (from other threads, that's the starting pay of poly lecturers)
Third percentile: $8,750
Median: $7200

My guess is for a assistant professor, it runs between $6k - $8k.
Full fledged: $8k - $12k

Nothing conclusive, just a rough estimation.

I think my estimations are somewhere near, best that i can do with statistics and my understanding of rough wages. Don't forget they stay in campus and many rent their existing property for rents between 2k - 5k (HDB). Add that sum in and that's a 'fair' salary.

Fair, considering the time and money set for PHD education. 'Fair' considering how much your peers has earned in corporate world.

Hope i helped. Feel free to correct me if anything's wrong.

Unregistered 18-03-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34390)
Is it possible for me to do a PhD which is not related to my current job scope and still end up teaching this new subject after graduating w the PhD?

For example, I am not currently working in finance. But I wish to do a PhD in finance and be a finance lecturer upon graduation. Is this possible?

Appreciate any insights on this matter :)

Possible. Because lecturers in academia has the least sense of what happens outside. They live in their perfect, rational, logical, and non-randomness academia all their lives.

But again, what's your degree in? It may be hard to complete PHD without prior education and experience.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2