Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salaries of Professors in SG (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1944-salaries-professors-sg.html)

mangos47 03-12-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59603)
Really, what do you teach in Poly? May I know which poly?
As I know, the teacher earns only 4k-5k per month in poly.

I have a junior phd labmates who joined poly as a lecturer after working in a research center for 6 years and she is paid around 6k/month. I've seen in this board that senior lecturers in poly eary 7-9k/month.

mangos47 03-12-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donny (Post 29515)
All right, fair enough. Somewhat do agree with what you said.

I guess it goes down to the level of understanding each candidate can bring to the job. I don't deny that those Vietnamese programmers you hire can get some jobs yet.

Yet, I feel that a Stanford PhD (since that is what the OP is aiming at) can bring in new knowledge that produces a about a better solution viz-a-viz those done by the programmers you mentioned.

Right of the top of my head and I'm not trying to show off or be verbose here:

1. Parallel programming on a GPU (undergrad would at best take a single course on GPU programming. PhDs develop and understand better the theory)

2. Machine Learning for signal detection (a PhD would throughout the course of his thesis applied machine learning to numerous problems. An undergrad probably just learnt PCM* and did a two week project on it)

3. Use of appropriate algorithms (perhaps here the PhD and undergrad can be on par. Nonetheless, doing and using algorithms for two years compared to two semesters inevitably suggest more familiarity with it for the PhD than the undergrad)

My point is that a bachelors degree equips one with fundamental knowledge, a PhD with specific knowledge in a specific area. Depending on the job, sometimes both the bachelors and PhD survive, sometimes only the PhD survives. I can trust a Vietnamese programmer to write a multithreaded console program to read and display text from a server to a screen. I won't trust a Vietnamese programmer with at most one year of experience, to tear up a Linux kernel and write a customer memory manager taken from some IBM publication written in the 1980s. (I've seen some of those, they scare the freak out of me.)

*Principle Component Analysis

Most likely you didn't do a phd. If you did you'll know PhD is not about doing things better than undergrad or masters, but about digging very deep in a very narrow area, which usually is of little to no practical value in the near future. When it comes to practical job skills, PhDs are often no better than their peers who joined the workforce early and had earned some experience. In my group, PhD staff design algorithms and build protetype with C, Matlab or even fortran, while the actual development of production code is handled by undergrad staff in java, c++/c# or whatever cutting edge tools there is.

If OP's goal is academia, he can safely bypass c++, java, GPGPU and stuff afer passing the course. he shall instead focus on algorithms, math those theoretical stuff.

mangos47 03-12-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31714)
Got a friend with fresh phd offered teaching job at a Poly only on a $4K pm salary. isnt it too low?

4k x (12+1(aws)+3~4(bonus)) roughly 4k x 16.5, I'd say not all that bad, considering the very flexible working hours and stableness.

mangos47 03-12-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34464)
I don't think just because they teach in business schools, they receive much more remuneration. It must be fair to other professors as well due to similar job scopes.

Based on my estimation, assoc professors should earn somewhere above 6k. Full fledged probably at about 8k +. Unless you are in harvard.. then.. but i think NBS and NUS should be around that range. Not typically quite high flyers on salary. But if you wish to join academia, that's something you should have thought about at the start.

The major matters a lot actually. becoz business school professors can find consultation jobs in private sectors that pays very decently, how many would want to stay in school if they're not paid competitively? also business schools obviously get more endorsement/donation than some other schools like arts.

Unregistered 10-01-2015 06:39 AM

Does anyone know what could be paid as starting salary for an assistant professor in Chemistry/Physics/Biology at NUS? I got hold a PhD from a European University and have 3 years PostDoc experience from an Ivy League school.

mrleafeon 17-02-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61184)
Does anyone know what could be paid as starting salary for an assistant professor in Chemistry/Physics/Biology at NUS? I got hold a PhD from a European University and have 3 years PostDoc experience from an Ivy League school.

I also want to know.

Unregistered 18-02-2015 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61184)

between $80~120k per annum.

Unregistered 22-04-2015 02:24 AM

salary

Got an offer from NUS this year...215k SGD

Unregistered 22-04-2015 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65784)

Should also mention that this is an assistant prof position.

Unregistered 26-04-2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65784)

that's pretty damn high for a asst prof. how old are you and what discipline are you in?