Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Mining Industry (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1866-mining-industry.html)

Unregistered 16-02-2022 09:25 PM

So they have a requirement of the gpa and class of honours to be recruited for the commercial graduate position? Couldn’t find this requirement in the job posting… but assuming how competitive the salary package is as mentioned in this thread and the reviews, I assume applicants who got offer have to be First Class if not Second Upper at the least?

Unregistered 16-02-2022 09:26 PM

Hello everyone, does anyone know the pay for Rio Tinto graduate program? Is the company good too cos it is considered one of the top few in the mining scene too but have heard some negative reviews weirdly

Unregistered 19-02-2022 10:12 AM

Anyone heard back from BHP for 2022 Commercial Grads? Do y’all also know what are the few stages of hiring process after the HireVue interview and games?

Unregistered 19-02-2022 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203282)
Agree have heard positive reviews on BHP and their salary package should be pretty good. Do you happen to know how much is the pay though for the commercial graduates as couldn’t locate it on Glassdoor

My numbers may be outdated as they were from 5 years back, but I am guessing they should have adjusted it based on market trends to low to mid 4s now. Benefits are quite generous and bonus is usually around 3-4 months.

The key selling point going into a BHP or even Rio Tinto is the opportunities for progression and even lateral movement. In terms of earnings will likely outstrip someone in a local bank MA programme by year 3 or 4.

Unregistered 19-02-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203285)
Hello everyone, does anyone know the pay for Rio Tinto graduate program? Is the company good too cos it is considered one of the top few in the mining scene too but have heard some negative reviews weirdly

Generally speaking in terms of salaries Rio Tinto is below BHP and Anglo. Both of those 2 are about on par.

Unregistered 19-02-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203631)
My numbers may be outdated as they were from 5 years back, but I am guessing they should have adjusted it based on market trends to low to mid 4s now. Benefits are quite generous and bonus is usually around 3-4 months.

The key selling point going into a BHP or even Rio Tinto is the opportunities for progression and even lateral movement. In terms of earnings will likely outstrip someone in a local bank MA programme by year 3 or 4.

Thank you! But do you think it is alright or does this BHP grad experience help in exit opportunities? Like say maybe going into consulting (Accenture, big 4 etc) or moving into banking in future? Was just worried the industry would be a roadblock but as the news last night mining have been doing quite well and BHP is the top in its field and it’s a grad program afterall so also thought may not be a roadblock?

Unregistered 19-02-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203639)
Thank you! But do you think it is alright or does this BHP grad experience help in exit opportunities? Like say maybe going into consulting (Accenture, big 4 etc) or moving into banking in future? Was just worried the industry would be a roadblock but as the news last night mining have been doing quite well and BHP is the top in its field and it’s a grad program afterall so also thought may not be a roadblock?

It is possible, I have seen some contacts move into banks after a few years in the grad programme. You want to be getting yourself into either a commercial or strategy role prior to your exit as these are the ones that are going to have more career mobility outside of the industry.

BHP is like the BP/Shell of the mining industry so you don't have to worry about brand name recognition.

Unregistered 19-02-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203640)
It is possible, I have seen some contacts move into banks after a few years in the grad programme. You want to be getting yourself into either a commercial or strategy role prior to your exit as these are the ones that are going to have more career mobility outside of the industry.

BHP is like the BP/Shell of the mining industry so you don't have to worry about brand name recognition.

Thanks so much for sharing, appreciate it! Do you know for BHP commercial grad are we able to select the rotations? And is strategy available under the commercial grad program too?

Unregistered 20-02-2022 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203640)

Do you know the hiring process for BHP like what are the stages? Cos seems like you know a little about BHP would appreciate if you could share :)

Unregistered 21-02-2022 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203883)
Do you know the hiring process for BHP like what are the stages? Cos seems like you know a little about BHP would appreciate if you could share :)

I am not from mining but have a few friends in it so somewhat aware of pay and career opps, not so much on the hiring process but it should be standard pattern recognition, cultural fit questions after application followed by phone and video interviews before they actually call you down to the office for FtF.

Unregistered 21-02-2022 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203944)
I am not from mining but have a few friends in it so somewhat aware of pay and career opps, not so much on the hiring process but it should be standard pattern recognition, cultural fit questions after application followed by phone and video interviews before they actually call you down to the office for FtF.

I see, do you know how much does BHP pay for their commercial grads? And do they only have a few slots as I did a search on LinkedIn not many have it but it’s also quite popular right of the brand name and all

Unregistered 21-02-2022 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204051)
I see, do you know how much does BHP pay for their commercial grads? And do they only have a few slots as I did a search on LinkedIn not many have it but it’s also quite popular right of the brand name and all

Crypto mining company ah?

Unregistered 24-02-2022 02:53 PM

Anyone heard back for the commercial grad program after the hirevue?

Unregistered 24-02-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204051)

Should be around 4.5k-5k. They take maybe 4-5 grads a year in Singapore. Brand name if you are talking about metals and mining it is about as big as it gets already, though it might be less glamorous (and pays less) than trading houses like Glencore and Trafigura.

Unregistered 24-02-2022 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204687)
Should be around 4.5k-5k. They take maybe 4-5 grads a year in Singapore. Brand name if you are talking about metals and mining it is about as big as it gets already, though it might be less glamorous (and pays less) than trading houses like Glencore and Trafigura.

Omg so competitive ah… why do they take in so little grads 😬 first time I hear a grad program recruiting so little leh. But are exit opportunities good tho if you wanna jump to like banks or consulting after a few years of work experience. Maybe even dk a mba or masters first? Shld be able to help?

Unregistered 24-02-2022 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204690)
Omg so competitive ah… why do they take in so little grads 😬 first time I hear a grad program recruiting so little leh. But are exit opportunities good tho if you wanna jump to like banks or consulting after a few years of work experience. Maybe even dk a mba or masters first? Shld be able to help?

Most commodity houses don't have that big of an intake. They are a lot more lean across all depts compared to say a bank. For example, a giant like Trafigura only has 3-4 HR staff sitting in their Singapore office. Contrast that with a local bank which might have like 15-20.

Like the earlier poster said go get yourself emplaced within a strategy or commercial function and opportunities will be there. Even staying within the industry you can still make good money and enjoy very decent hours.

Unregistered 24-02-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204691)
Most commodity houses don't have that big of an intake. They are a lot more lean across all depts compared to say a bank. For example, a giant like Trafigura only has 3-4 HR staff sitting in their Singapore office. Contrast that with a local bank which might have like 15-20.

Like the earlier poster said go get yourself emplaced within a strategy or commercial function and opportunities will be there. Even staying within the industry you can still make good money and enjoy very decent hours.

Thanks for sharing! I guess the BHP commercial grad should be ok right since it’s commercial function also?

Unregistered 24-02-2022 03:36 PM

Actually BHP have other grad program other than the commercial one? Came across BHP employees sharing post that BHP graduate and internship opportunities will open next week 🤔

Unregistered 24-02-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204704)
Thanks for sharing! I guess the BHP commercial grad should be ok right since it’s commercial function also?

I believe the programme isn't specifically recruiting grads for commercial functions only. May get a chance to rotate around operations or trade finance also.

Unregistered 24-02-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204713)
I believe the programme isn't specifically recruiting grads for commercial functions only. May get a chance to rotate around operations or trade finance also.

Ahhh cos couldn’t tell from the jd. So commercial and strategy are better depts to land myself into. Is trade finance good or helpful too for future opps?

Unregistered 24-02-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204717)
Ahhh cos couldn’t tell from the jd. So commercial and strategy are better depts to land myself into. Is trade finance good or helpful too for future opps?

Will be more limited. As the name implies it is literally getting financing for cargo trades.

Unregistered 24-02-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 204721)
Will be more limited. As the name implies it is literally getting financing for cargo trades.

I see thanks so much for sharing

Unregistered 28-02-2022 12:57 AM

Any applicants heard back for the commercial grads position after completing the hirevue?

Unregistered 03-03-2022 09:49 AM

I've just received an email from BHP saying that I progressed to the next stage (completed the Hirevue about 2 weeks ago)

Unregistered 17-03-2022 02:15 PM

Anyone been to the engagement centre for rio tinto graduate program? Was just invited to it, appreciate any insights.

Unregistered 17-03-2022 02:19 PM

What’s the exit opportunities like for rio tinto graduate program?

Unregistered 17-03-2022 02:21 PM

Will you lose out if you’re from rio tinto grad program? Since the top in mining is BHP then rio tinto….

Unregistered 29-03-2022 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 208618)
Anyone been to the engagement centre for rio tinto graduate program? Was just invited to it, appreciate any insights.

Hello, how did it turn out for you?

Unregistered 14-04-2022 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 203632)
Generally speaking in terms of salaries Rio Tinto is below BHP and Anglo. Both of those 2 are about on par.

Would you be able to share how much is the difference?

Anglo just invited for next stage of assessments but I'll need to make a decision very soon.

Unregistered 16-04-2022 10:24 AM

Where are my fellow miners?

Unregistered 11-05-2022 05:52 PM

How much does Anglo pay for their grad programme?

Unregistered 11-05-2022 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217475)
How much does Anglo pay for their grad programme?

Please let us know if and when u get the offer.

Their recruitment cycle is way too late for most ppl.

Unregistered 01-06-2022 03:21 PM

My fellow miners, any instructions received for onboarding yet?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 12:04 AM

Hi just wondering what is the starting salary for the graduate program in Anglo American?

Unregistered 17-07-2022 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220249)
Hi just wondering what is the starting salary for the graduate program in Anglo American?

i am interested to know too. A range is also appreciated

Unregistered 03-11-2022 05:34 PM

Salary

I got offered 4k as a fresh grad. Not grad program. I actually applied to grad program as well but they got back to me pretty late. I tried to nego higher but they say 4k is the base for fresh grad without experience. She told me the grad program pay slightly higher in case i wanna try the interview but never tell me how much. End up i just stick with the confirmed 4k offer. I suppose grad program is 4.5k to 5k then

Unregistered 03-11-2022 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234139)
I got offered 4k as a fresh grad. Not grad program. I actually applied to grad program as well but they got back to me pretty late. I tried to nego higher but they say 4k is the base for fresh grad without experience. She told me the grad program pay slightly higher in case i wanna try the interview but never tell me how much. End up i just stick with the confirmed 4k offer. I suppose grad program is 4.5k to 5k then

Anglo American btw. I am doing back office.

Unregistered 04-11-2022 05:41 PM

For the kids interested in entering commods, comp wise is O&G>freight>metals>agri>the rest (mostly illiquid end prods). This holds true across all levels, but divergence really shows when you have your own book.

Just a heads up that pay is 1:1 correlated with stress and toxicity; if you think banks are bad you won’t survive in oil :)

Unregistered 05-12-2022 08:13 PM

Hi does anyone know what the renumeration is like for Rio Tinto's graduate prog?

Unregistered 17-03-2023 01:46 AM

hey broskis, am applying for AA's blockchain graduate program.
think this is a relative new and niche role. anybody knows much about it?