Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   where to get the best job? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1822-where-get-best-job.html)

tmb11152 01-04-2012 06:53 PM

where to get the best job?

Hi.

Im graduating with first class honours in mechanical engineering with a few internships(with mncs and gov) and overseas exchange experience under my belt. I have been active in student activities in school and held leadership positions.

What can i expect from the job market?

what is the highest pay i can ask for?

Where can i get the best pay with the best job prospect?

Bean 01-04-2012 09:13 PM

sign on SAF officer, fresh grad CPT 1st class getting = $5090 starting

Unregistered 01-04-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb11152 (Post 23164)
Hi.

Im graduating with first class honours in mechanical engineering with a few internships(with mncs and gov) and overseas exchange experience under my belt. I have been active in student activities in school and held leadership positions.

What can i expect from the job market?

what is the highest pay i can ask for?

Where can i get the best pay with the best job prospect?

NUS and NTU both bragged about their students starting with 20k salaries one or 2 years ago. You should aim higher.

Unregistered 02-04-2012 08:46 AM

Goal

What do you want to achieve in your life? You do have a goal, don't you?

Unregistered 02-04-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23186)
What do you want to achieve in your life? You do have a goal, don't you?

Setting goals is overrated. Adam Khoo set a goal, probably in hindsight, that he would be a millionaire by age 26, which he claimed he achieved. It seems totally arbitrary to me. Why not 27, 28 or 36?

What good does it make if you set a goal of let's say becoming a CEO of an SGX-listed company? And when you can't achieve it, what do you do?

Setting simple goals like trying to finish lunch punctually today is easily achievable but totally useless. Setting stretch targets like the one I mentioned above is equally useless if not demoralizing as well.

So what does one do? Set "realistic" goals? What are some examples?

Unregistered 02-04-2012 11:33 AM

For a first class honors graduate your questions are just plain naive. Think through and post a better set of questions

tmb11152 02-04-2012 12:27 PM

my passion is green energy. but working in the green business earns peanuts in singapore and i dont want to work in banks as i think they are highly inethical. I have to balance between passion and practibility. Where can i command the best pay with the good career prospect?

my intention is to get into a mnc, climb up the corporate ladder until i have steady financial backing and authority, before moving on to the green business to do my part.

Unregistered 02-04-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb11152 (Post 23206)
my passion is green energy. but working in the green business earns peanuts in singapore and i dont want to work in banks as i think they are highly inethical. I have to balance between passion and practibility. Where can i command the best pay with the good career prospect?

my intention is to get into a mnc, climb up the corporate ladder until i have steady financial backing and authority, before moving on to the green business to do my part.

To be honest, despite being a First Class Honours student there are still clear grammatical errors in the quote above.
"inethical" doesn't exist. "unethical" is the right term
"practibility" ?!... u meant to write "practicality"?

Also, as someone had already mentioned above, I had to agree that your questions showed that you lack 'depth' in your thought process.

Instead of demanding for "Where can i command the best pay with the good career prospect" (again, the use of "the" in this sentence is grammatically redundant), you should be considering 2 things:
what can you give & contribute to your employer?
what can you learn from the job and what the company can give you in return?

The more you can contribute to the firm, and the more skills you acquire and excel while performing your tasks for the benefits of the firm, the more value you generate as an employee.

Bean 02-04-2012 02:46 PM

come'on 1st class honours may not necessary be good in english man!!!

I have friends from JC, their 'A' level grades is AAAA or AAA with GP D7 or E8, they still get into NUS/NTU doing engineering and still getting 1st class honours!!!

So it doesnt really matter, dude!!!

Unregistered 02-04-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 23214)
come'on 1st class honours may not necessary be good in english man!!!

I have friends from JC, their 'A' level grades is AAAA or AAA with GP D7 or E8, they still get into NUS/NTU doing engineering and still getting 1st class honours!!!

So it doesnt really matter, dude!!!

Just listen to Lim Swee Sway when he talks.