Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Contract employer refuses to pay salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1816-contract-employer-refuses-pay-salary.html)

Imbiah 27-03-2012 09:55 PM

Contract employer refuses to pay salary

Hi all, posting on behalf of my friend.

Story goes like this, he joined this sub-contractor. After working for about six months, company decides to hire him and his colleagues directly as the contract between the company and the sub-con is about to expire.

The sub-con obviously wants to keep the staff with them and wants to sign a formal contract with my friend and his colleagues. However, direct company is offering better benefits, so quite definitely my friend would want to join the direct company.

Now the sub-con boss has "threatened" them by claiming that they would not be paid unless they sign the contract.

Previously, for the past 6 months that they were working at the sub-con, there was no formal contract signed. The only proof they have of being employed is a monthly cheque deposit of salary and a thumbprint attendance at the direct company.

Is there anything that MOM can do about it if my friend and his colleagues were to approach MOM to get their pay? The sub-con did not pay them CPF as well.

Advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Unregistered 28-03-2012 02:09 PM

Where got people start work without signing and retaining a formal letter of employment???
Then where got proof that you were really employed under your employer??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imbiah (Post 22968)

Story goes like this, he joined this sub-contractor. After working for about six months, company decides to hire him and his colleagues directly as the contract between the company and the sub-con is about to expire.

The sub-con obviously wants to keep the staff with them and wants to sign a formal contract with my friend and his colleagues. However, direct company is offering better benefits, so quite definitely my friend would want to join the direct company.

Now the sub-con boss has "threatened" them by claiming that they would not be paid unless they sign the contract.

Previously, for the past 6 months that they were working at the sub-con, there was no formal contract signed. The only proof they have of being employed is a monthly cheque deposit of salary and a thumbprint attendance at the direct company.

Is there anything that MOM can do about it if my friend and his colleagues were to approach MOM to get their pay? The sub-con did not pay them CPF as well.

Thank you.

Unregistered 28-03-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imbiah (Post 22968)

Thank you.

Email MOM directly. They can answer your question best.
Ministry of Manpower Singapore