Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Graduate income (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1784-graduate-income.html)

Chewbm 11-03-2012 09:34 AM

Graduate income

This thread is concerning the income earned by fresh graduates in I referenced from http://www.salary.sg/2011/graduate-e...blished-2011/:

The Dumping Grounds by Starting Pay (Gross Monthly)
1. NUS Applied Science – $2,427 ($2,800)
2. NUS Engineering Science – $2,571 ($3,000)
3. NTU Art, Design & Media – $2,600 ($3,150)
4. NTU English Literature – $2,603 ($3,050)
5. NUS Arts – $2,627 ($2,900)
6. NUS Science – $2,653 ($2,900)
7. NUS Nursing – $2,655 ($2,800)
8. NUS Project and Facilities Management – $2,657 ($2,800)
9. NUS Business Administration (Accountancy) – $2,692 ($2,600)
10. NUS Civil Engineering – $2,757 ($2,800)
11. NUS Real Estate – $2,762 ($3,000)
12. NTU Accountancy (3-yr direct Honours programme) – $2,778 ($2,775)
13. NUS Bioengineering – $2,804 ($3,000)
14. SMU Social Sciences (4-yr programme) – $2,824 ($3,200)

Are these degrees really considered dumping grounds,as even though the starting pay might be low, isit related to the future income earned by the graduates after working gaining few years of experience? Let's compare for e.g: NUS Civil Engineering – $2,757 ($2,800)
Vs
NUS Architecture – $3,445 ($3,700)
The starting pay might be lower for nus civil engineering but come a few years of experience for both, will the pay for nus civil engineering be higher than Nus architecture?

Kindly help me as I'm very stressed out from choose which degree to take, as I'm concerned in the stangancy in the income in engineering courses..

Anonymous 11-03-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbm (Post 22133)
This thread is concerning the income earned by fresh graduates in I referenced from http://www.salary.sg/2011/graduate-e...blished-2011/:

Are these degrees really considered dumping grounds,as even though the starting pay might be low, isit related to the future income earned by the graduates after working gaining few years of experience? Let's compare for e.g: NUS Civil Engineering – $2,757 ($2,800)
Vs
The starting pay might be lower for nus civil engineering but come a few years of experience for both, will the pay for nus civil engineering be higher than Nus architecture?

Kindly help me as I'm very stressed out from choose which degree to take, as I'm concerned in the stangancy in the income in engineering courses..

seriously, it's just choosing a course. what is there to be stressed about?

if you want to make big bucks, choose either medicine, law, or accountancy. if you can't get into these courses, go for a course you are interested in. if you want to go into banking, perhaps a course in finance would be useful. what's most impt though is whether you do well in that course. If you graduate with lousy grades, it will be harder to get into good companies/banks, regardless of the course you choose. Get that 1st class honours first before start worrying about income stagnation.

Unregistered 11-03-2012 10:21 AM

Mpetsu avoid

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/stat...es_table3.xlsx

Your answer here

Quote:

Vs

Unregistered 11-03-2012 10:58 AM

if you wanna do a technical-related degree, don't do engineering. do IS in SMU.

Quote:

Vs

Chewbm 11-03-2012 11:10 AM

The main reason is because I'm concerned that my entire career will be down to the degree I choose now, so I hope I won't regret the decision I make.

I will be practical here; my A level grades are far from ideal, I only managed to get ACC/C, so the courses I'm considering are :

NTU Mateuals Science and Engineering
NUS Civil Engineering
NUS Engineering
NUS Archiecture
NTU Civil Engineering

To be frank, I dont have any interest in any particular course, as I have yet to really exposed to the course yet( not sure if I'm the only one). But I'm more inclined towards civil engineering as it's quite broad and open to private and govt sectors as well. But I'm quite disheartened after reading on https://forums.salary.sg/education-pe...take-exam.html .

People I asked around always say go where your passion lies, but to me i feel that the market for industry as well as future prospects is more important. Pardon and correct me if I'm wrong.

bioman 11-03-2012 11:25 AM

The starting salary may change when you graduate 3 or 4 years later.

Depends if you graduate during economic crisis where job search may be tougher.

These numbers are fleeting.

Really have to do what you like, cannot always go where the money is.
Many engineers, accountants etc did not practise what they study as they just cannot enjoy doing it even if the money may be good.

Of course knowing what you like is not always evident right now. It's journey of trial and error.

Anonymous 11-03-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbm (Post 22139)
The main reason is because I'm concerned that my entire career will be down to the degree I choose now, so I hope I won't regret the decision I make.

I will be practical here; my A level grades are far from ideal, I only managed to get ACC/C, so the courses I'm considering are :

NUS Civil Engineering
NUS Engineering
NUS Archiecture
NTU Civil Engineering

To be frank, I dont have any interest in any particular course, as I have yet to really exposed to the course yet( not sure if I'm the only one). But I'm more inclined towards civil engineering as it's quite broad and open to private and govt sectors as well. But I'm quite disheartened after reading on https://forums.salary.sg/education-pe...take-exam.html .

People I asked around always say go where your passion lies, but to me i feel that the market for industry as well as future prospects is more important. Pardon and correct me if I'm wrong.

It's easy to give an answer for this one; the engineering industry doesn't pay well generally speaking. Having said that many engineers do not practise engineering and they can still gain entry into other industries. This is subject to of course, their grades and the interview. I think what you need to think more about is your aptitude. Although ACC can still get you into an engineering course, I wonder if you can make 2 1. Many pp I know have no aptitude for technical work and they chose engineering only because that's what the masses are doing. They hated all the engineering modules. I wondered if they knew what they were getting into in the first place.

Unregistered 11-03-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

NUS Civil Engineering
NUS Engineering
NUS Archiecture
NTU Civil Engineering

What about arts and social sciences?

Why are you choosing all these technical degree programmes? Do you think you can do well?

You now have the benefit of internet and google to do a thorough research on the prospects of various degrees, already much luckier than many of your older seniors who only had TV, Straits Times and hearsay to rely on.

Unregistered 11-03-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

NUS Civil Engineering
NUS Engineering
NUS Archiecture
NTU Civil Engineering

Civil engineering? Are you mad? Do you have a fetish for working with smelly indian FTs, Myanmar with bad breath, selfish Malaysian Chinese, and ah beng singaporean towkays?

Unregistered 12-03-2012 07:07 AM

This was an argument on another forum being made between Marketing/Management degrees and Arts/Social Science degrees.

This topic has been discussed to death over and over again each year whenever the uni admissions open up. All I can say to people who assume that B.A = toilet paper is that they are severely shortsighted. It says a lot about their professional experience and the people they interact and network with. There are Sociology, Pol Sci and even Philo majors (just look at Tin Pei Ling) working in both the back-end operations as well as Finance sector. Of course notwithstanding the connections Ms Tin has, nothing is impossible. You say you want to take a business degree because you want to work in a bank. But throw a stone today and you're likely to hit not one, but 3-4 people holding a BBA (be it local, Wharton or otherwise.) Are you going to just be another individual in the herd holding a BBA, or someone with a B.A with extra-curricular experience (internships, running projects etc) who is seen as more versatile? Finance and Accounting majors still hold a key advantage due to their subject matter expertise but if you're a bba student doing marketing or management then you really need to work doubly hard to market yourself and prove why you're the better choice for these generalist roles.

It depends on how you view the matter. Arts grads in a way can have the best of both worlds eg. being a teacher (especially for history, lit etc.) or jobs in the civil service while on the other hand with relevant training and experience, can be trained to take on marketing and HR roles. While for the bba student, there is no marketing or management classes in our schools available of them to fall back on and be a teacher.
It really boils down to how you present and market yourself to your future employers.

===

Anyway the starting salaries cited look very low to me (could be adjusted to factor in PTE sector and SME pay, which is horrendously low).
Civil service salaries, if you read the other thread, are slightly higher and a few hundred dollars more if you're a Singaporean male.