HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? - Page 18 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorful View Post
I am now exploring joining a C&B consultancy base on advise from my HR colleague.

I graduated 5 years ago with 2nd upper honors from NUS major in economics. Now working as learning manager in a local listed company, pay @ $3600 with 2.5 mth bonus inclusive AWS.

Base on my pay & background, I don't think need to apply for entry consultant right? Should I apply as senior consultant or manager?
you are really wasting your 2nd upper degree, 5 years and only getting 3.6K ???wtf..

you should join EDB or ministry of trade/industry/GIC/MAS.....or any economist job with economist scheme with civil service or at least an MX scheme with other job scope...

If your are with government sector, you should be getting 5-7k salary range by now

Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM

chocolatebars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you are really wasting your 2nd upper degree, 5 years and only getting 3.6K ???wtf..

you should join EDB or ministry of trade/industry/GIC/MAS.....or any economist job with economist scheme with civil service or at least an MX scheme with other job scope...

If your are with government sector, you should be getting 5-7k salary range by now
Yeah..Wtf 3.6k?? Some people from SIM who took "soft" degrees are probably earning more than you.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Unregistered

Hi all!

I am a fresh grad with a bachelor in business admin (management and marketing) from a local uni trying to secure a job in the HR sector but I've been quite unsuccessful till date as most of the entry level HR jobs are usually HR admin/ generalist openings that require people with at least 2 years of prior experience. Honestly speaking, I am quite unsure on the HR path that I want to embark on, having no working experience in HR, only studied it in uni but became interested. I would just like to ask about your opinions on the best entry level hr positions that one can take that would allow a good career progression?

I have been following this thread from the beginning and much is all talk about the how the prospects of C&B/ Talent Mgmt / Headhunting / HR BP are much better than those of Training and Development/ HR Generalist.

I would just like to ask if there are any HR Training professionals here who would like to share about their job progression and salary scale?

I have an upcoming career opportunity as a Training Executive for a regional training centre for a Jap MNC. Having had a short discussion with the hiring manager about the job scope, it sure seems interesting and full of opportunities to learn a lot and eventually become a trainer. However, i am quite concerned that Training professionals earn much lesser as compared to their higher earning HR peers from headhunting/ talent mgmt. With regards to this, can I ask..what are the potential career progression opportunities for a training exec?

Comparing this to 2 other opportunities as a HR generalist/executive in the govt sector, which is a better choice? (turned to govt sector due to desperation as the private sectors are not hiring much entry positions currently, haha) In a dilemma as to which to choose as govt job sure pays much better w work life balance but in terms of career progression & red tape...

Thanks in advance for the advice and help!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM
pomepy

Generally speaking, training is the second lowest paid HR after administration. The good thing is mid career people who have 8 - 10 years of training experience are sometimes able to transfer internally to talent development which has better prospects. This route tends to be slower than if you specialize in talent earlier, but at least you are not constrained just to training which honestly is quite dead end.

In terms of payscale for training is quite standard. If you are a deg grad, you start off the first 3 – 4 years on executive/associate level. This normally means doing the admin work, signing up courses, arranging trainers, co-coordinating logistics, maintaining skill inventory database etc

Most start to get promoted to AM or manager with about 5/6 yrs exp (pay should be 4 - 4.5k). From what I see still not much difference in job scope, maybe you get to run some simple junior level training like safety, teamwork, company culture etc. Other technical courses the training manager need to source & negotiate for consultants or corporate trainer.

This is the default ending point of the training career. Most training managers will max out their career & pay about 10 years into work at 5 – 6k then coast along with general wage increment after that.

Beyond that those who still want to climb the corporate ladder will need to branch out either to partnering or talent development. In certain top MNCs, some trainers might get to join internal company schools and yet forge another career, but this is rare as opportunities are usually given to talent development or external well-known corporate exec trainers.

Another thing if you join training, you must be prepared to work after office hr and during weekends as many internal trainings are held on Saturdays or weekday early morning requiring you to go venue scouting or sort out logistics the night before.

As for whether jap MNC or government better, both sides got pros & cons.

Government pay increase will be better, more stable and you get to learn in detail all the processes. HR processes are very standard across ministries & stat boards. Knowledge of the processes allows you to switch within public sector easily so job secruity will be very high. Cons is this will be a generalist admin role, so you will likely retire Assistant Director level (~7k currently)

Jap MNC are famous for slow salary increments & little differentiation for individual performance, so in terms of pay progression might be slower than even normal training careers in other MNC. The good thing is since the job is part of a regional training centre, exposure to different countries, training programs could increase your chance to move into other HR fields once you hit the default training ceiling.

Quote:
Hi all!

I am a fresh grad with a bachelor in business admin (management and marketing) from a local uni trying to secure a job in the HR sector but I've been quite unsuccessful till date as most of the entry level HR jobs are usually HR admin/ generalist openings that require people with at least 2 years of prior experience. Honestly speaking, I am quite unsure on the HR path that I want to embark on, having no working experience in HR, only studied it in uni but became interested. I would just like to ask about your opinions on the best entry level hr positions that one can take that would allow a good career progression?

I have been following this thread from the beginning and much is all talk about the how the prospects of C&B/ Talent Mgmt / Headhunting / HR BP are much better than those of Training and Development/ HR Generalist.

I would just like to ask if there are any HR Training professionals here who would like to share about their job progression and salary scale?

I have an upcoming career opportunity as a Training Executive for a regional training centre for a Jap MNC. Having had a short discussion with the hiring manager about the job scope, it sure seems interesting and full of opportunities to learn a lot and eventually become a trainer. However, i am quite concerned that Training professionals earn much lesser as compared to their higher earning HR peers from headhunting/ talent mgmt. With regards to this, can I ask..what are the potential career progression opportunities for a training exec?

Comparing this to 2 other opportunities as a HR generalist/executive in the govt sector, which is a better choice? (turned to govt sector due to desperation as the private sectors are not hiring much entry positions currently, haha) In a dilemma as to which to choose as govt job sure pays much better w work life balance but in terms of career progression & red tape...

Thanks in advance for the advice and help!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 PM

haiz2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Certis Cisco....HRM Division (Operation Supervisor/Team lead)

Certis Cisco....HRM Division (Operation Supervisor/Team lead)

anybody noe about this position offer by Cisco??? izzit consider HR-skills?
izzit a good job? no need working experience at all , how can it be??

-Manage a team of up to 200 operation members
- Attend and make decisions relating to the ground operational assignments and manpower deployment matters
- Responsible for logistics, HR planning and on projects
- Handle training / on board programme, perform survey, appraisal, supervisory checks, operation framework and strategic planning for division
-Overall in charge of the operation team to implement and develop process and procedure

-------------Salary Package

Employees will be expecting the following benefits during the employment
Base Salary from $2700 to $3300.00 (Based on qualification)
AWS (1 month of your offered salary)
Transport allowances ($350 monthly)
Working Location: East & West area
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz2006 View Post

- Attend and make decisions relating to the ground operational assignments and manpower deployment matters
- Handle training / on board programme, perform survey, appraisal, supervisory checks, operation framework and strategic planning for division
-Overall in charge of the operation team to implement and develop process and procedure

Imagine 200 people (mostly FTs) who are in shitty jobs and you have to manage them (more like being their nanny). Definitely a shitty job.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz2006 View Post

This is confirm a generalist admin job. To make matters worse, it primarily deals with the lowest level of staff, i.e. O Level & below. I don't think you will learn anything really HR there. They just package doing sai gang for the secuirty guards / aux police as "manage 200 operations members"

Plus side is starting pay quite decent, but down side is this kind of job dead end before you even start, no prospects to advance in HR at all. FYI Certis average increase is 3%, promotion 6 to 8%, you do the maths and see what happen 5 yrs down the road.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Unregistered

Hi I use to work as in Learning & Development (nice word for training) for 14 months, have now moved on to something else. Just sharing my experience for those interested in training.

I considered L&D as a career because impression was internal trainer, interesting things like competency analysis and design curriculum. So I join a French medical supplier hoping to learn all that. Turn out it was completely different.

My duties consist of filing, training plan documentation, chase for attendance records, update database to adhere to the People Developer standards certification which they were trying to get. When it came to actual training, it was more like event management, booking hotels, arranging transport, AV, buying things like straws, cardboard, markers for team games and compiling slides which the senior managers wanted.

Honestly I don’t understand why they need to pay a L&D Manager 4.8k to do all this clerical work when they can just hire a experience administrator for half the price. I assume that the company was just disorganized and don’t know what training is about, but now I read other comments seems this is the norm?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

Can I know which degree is more recognized if I want to head into this industry? Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 PM
flavorful

You are already much better, I am only getting 3.6k now & doing the same sh1t as well. They even throw organizing townhall session, volunteer activities and family day at me now saying this is for development purpose

Quote:
Hi I use to work as in Learning & Development (nice word for training) for 14 months, have now moved on to something else. Just sharing my experience for those interested in training.

I considered L&D as a career because impression was internal trainer, interesting things like competency analysis and design curriculum. So I join a French medical supplier hoping to learn all that. Turn out it was completely different.

My duties consist of filing, training plan documentation, chase for attendance records, update database to adhere to the People Developer standards certification which they were trying to get. When it came to actual training, it was more like event management, booking hotels, arranging transport, AV, buying things like straws, cardboard, markers for team games and compiling slides which the senior managers wanted.

Honestly I don’t understand why they need to pay a L&D Manager 4.8k to do all this clerical work when they can just hire a experience administrator for half the price. I assume that the company was just disorganized and don’t know what training is about, but now I read other comments seems this is the norm?