Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

eddie 21-03-2012 09:42 AM

Thanks for the revert, I have committed to take up the role and will be starting in June.

May I ask what is the standard path for HR? Like what’s the progression and salary like for each stage? I am already 36 this year, most likely less than 10 years left to make the most of my career...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22559)
Forget about all this rank stuff, most of it is just fake titles to motivate suckers who fall for the scam. Nobody will believe you are a Director in the first place if you are drawing only 5k+.

You logically, if he can offer you AM position in HR at 6k+, his pay as Director will be double or triple of that. Compare this to your current "Assistant Director" pay, you think it makes sense?

Your HR Director cannot say the truth in your face because of co. policy, so you need to read between lines.

There's still a lot room to move up, at only 6.4k and AM level, yours is just entry level HR, it is too early to worry about hitting career ceiling...

Unregistered 21-03-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie (Post 22643)
Thanks for the revert, I have committed to take up the role and will be starting in June.

May I ask what is the standard path for HR? Like what’s the progression and salary like for each stage? I am already 36 this year, most likely less than 10 years left to make the most of my career...

Where you go from here depends on which route you take. Generally the highest paid roles with be Compensation & Benefits / Rewards followed by Talent / Recruitment

The mid tier HR paths are the most common like Generalist, Business Partnering, Communication / Relations, HRIS

The lowest paid is Training & Development, HR Admin

Since you are joining as a generalist HR AM, if yours is a normal Fortune500 MNC then the typical progression will be

Local Junior Exec – 3 to 5k
Local Senior Exec – 4 to 6k
Local AM – 5 to 8k
Local Junior Manager / BP – 7 to 12k for smaller BU
Local Senior Manager / BP – 12 to 18k for bigger BU
Local Director / Regional Manager – 15 to 25k depending on BU
Regional Director – 25 to 40k depending on regional size
Group Head of HR – Above 35k depending on company size

Unregistered 22-03-2012 09:52 AM

HR Associate Director from a US pharma MNC, now @ $17k basic with 15 years experience, was forced to switch from engineering to HR during the asian financial crisis. Turns out to be a blessing in disguise :smiley:

docie 22-03-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22692)
HR Associate Director from a US pharma MNC, now @ $17k basic with 15 years experience, was forced to switch from engineering to HR during the asian financial crisis. Turns out to be a blessing in disguise :smiley:

Was it hard to switch from engineering to HR in terms of skills, culture, colleagues etc.?

Im thinking of getting a relevant degree to pursue HR.

Leeethan 23-03-2012 08:38 PM

Hello Everyone,

Would like some input.
Im really interested to pursue a career in HR and long term career goal is head towards Biz Partnering. Would want to work in financial institution (ie banks)...

Currently im in my penultimate year(Biz degree with SIM-UOL), during all my summer breaks i've taken up internship with a couple of banks in the area of HR and also did work part time during my sch term in similar capacity... all that will be about close to 15 months of working experience. my roles were mainly to manage HR initiatives like employee engagement programs, survey, assist in L&D activities and alot of admin work.

So here are my qns:
1) Would like to know does all these extra activities help in getting me a job in the future upon grad?
2) Also how much should i ask for as a start pay? (3k? 3.2k?)
3) How should work towards biz partnering positions?

Thanks in advance.

start100 26-03-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeethan (Post 22791)
Hello Everyone,

Would like some input.
Im really interested to pursue a career in HR and long term career goal is head towards Biz Partnering. Would want to work in financial institution (ie banks)...

Currently im in my penultimate year(Biz degree with SIM-UOL), during all my summer breaks i've taken up internship with a couple of banks in the area of HR and also did work part time during my sch term in similar capacity... all that will be about close to 15 months of working experience. my roles were mainly to manage HR initiatives like employee engagement programs, survey, assist in L&D activities and alot of admin work.

So here are my qns:
1) Would like to know does all these extra activities help in getting me a job in the future upon grad?
2) Also how much should i ask for as a start pay? (3k? 3.2k?)
3) How should work towards biz partnering positions?

Thanks in advance.

Is there any reason you are restricting yourself to HR in banks? It is well known that HR in banks are not well paid and have little power compared to other industries like O&G, FMCG, pharma…

Your experience will help a bit, but not much as such part time work tends to be assisting someone to do low level and admin work, so strictly speaking not really of much value.

As for starting pay it depends on company, most banks start off at around 3.2k, certain industries do not take in fresh grads unless it’s through management programs. If it’s O&G, FMCG or pharma I have seen offers at 3.4 – 3.8k.

Unregistered 26-03-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by start100 (Post 22888)
Is there any reason you are restricting yourself to HR in banks? It is well known that HR in banks are not well paid and have little power compared to other industries like O&G, FMCG, pharma…

Your experience will help a bit, but not much as such part time work tends to be assisting someone to do low level and admin work, so strictly speaking not really of much value.

As for starting pay it depends on company, most banks start off at around 3.2k, certain industries do not take in fresh grads unless it’s through management programs. If it’s O&G, FMCG or pharma I have seen offers at 3.4 – 3.8k.

I wouldn’t say HR in banks has no power, but agree that pay is only average.

I didnt stay long in HR in banks because of the strict regulations and governance. Everything has to follow strictly from head office and I ended up more like high class administrator than actually learning anything.

Leeethan 26-03-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22890)
I wouldn’t say HR in banks has no power, but agree that pay is only average.

I didnt stay long in HR in banks because of the strict regulations and governance. Everything has to follow strictly from head office and I ended up more like high class administrator than actually learning anything.

So would like to know where did you moved to?

Leeethan 26-03-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by start100 (Post 22888)

Thanks alot for your reply.

I guess i didnt really saw that the HR in bank has no power.
Pay wise is it really lower than other sectors? Because from how i see it, its better than the rest by quite abit as well.
I just felt working in bank is the safest bet?

Ok i see, because i heard and experienced that all these internship would give your valuable working experience and you learn stuff like MS Office and really learn how to troubleshoot and solve problems. Basically give you an edge over other freshies... Is this true? Anyone has experience in this?

I see... Mind sharing which industry you are in?
If O&G, how did you managed your career path? If not what other field should go forward.

once again thanks alot!

Unregistered 26-03-2012 06:19 PM

Oh.. You are damn lucky... Fellow engineer here only drawing 4k plus after 15 years... Is engineering really the lowliest paid profession in S'pore????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22692)