Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

Unregistered 01-08-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54024)
Thank you for the responses!

By MNCs, I mean large companies with various headquarters around the wall. I understand that some MNCs do provide overseas postings for small- fry role. My friend who works in Shell requested to be posted to Texas, and he got it. I think he is not exactly a big earner.

What I meant is for the MNC to refer me to a job in Canada after my PR is approved, and I know I am not heading there as an expat, so I am not requesting to be 'expatriated' because I know I am not 'expat calibre' to begin with. I am just asking if the company is able to refer me to jobs in Canada if they also have head offices there.

Yes, you are right, we are migrating to Canada with no job offer. I do not think its crazy so I would appreciate advice and not belittlement. That said, thank you for your explanation, at least I know how much to ask for during the interview.

Don’t understand what you mean by MNC with many HQs around the world. The definition of HQ means head office, i.e. 1 place of origin, how can a company have HQs all over the world? At most they have 1 real HQ and 1 tax heaven HQ setup.

It is ridiculous to compare Shell, rank by Fortune as the biggest company in the world, with some lobang you get from a company that dont even need any relevant experience to offer you a job. No sense of proportion at all.

It is not about belittling or what, it is about knowing where you stand and what you have to offer. A $4k salary is less than what Shell offer even for fresh grads as execs or trainee engineer, so you will likely be some clerical officer or blue collar union staff even if you can make it there. I have doubts even Shell will do overseas postings for this level. Maybe out of goodwill for a long serving staff possible, but a fresh joiner clerical officer?

If you can make it to Shell good for you (which I sincerely doubt so), otherwise stop dreaming and start planning realistically.

Also is this company aware of your plans to migrate soon? Otherwise it seems unethical for you to waste their time hiring & training you and then you drop them a bomb you want to go Canada.

Unregistered 01-08-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54031)
DA $4k salary is less than what Shell offer even for fresh grads as execs or trainee engineer, so you will likely be some clerical officer or blue collar union staff even if you can make it there. I have doubts even Shell will do overseas postings for this level.

my brother works in Shell bukom as a technician under the union & I know for sure he draws much more than 4k a month. dont look down on blue collar staff hor, they pay blue collar much higher than a lot of other company pay their PME

Unregistered 02-08-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54044)
my brother works in Shell bukom as a technician under the union & I know for sure he draws much more than 4k a month. dont look down on blue collar staff hor, they pay blue collar much higher than a lot of other company pay their PME

My apologies, I was just using union staff as a comparison to make a point, never intend to look down on them. Sorry.

My point to her was just that as a newly join recruitment officer w/o any relevant experience it is not realistic to expect her company to post her to Canada.

For some strange reason she seem to have extrapolated her friend's experience in Shell to her predicament which is totally off base.

Just for interest, I heard Shell pays very high bonus even for union staff, do you know from your brother what is the average bonus in a year? I have a friend who is currently interviewing for Shell as well.

Unregistered 02-08-2014 09:43 PM

I know where I stand and yes, I am not referring to Shell because like u say, I don't have the calibre.

My current company do know I am applying for Canadian PR, cuz during the interview I did mentioned that I cannot be allowed to stay in my previous job due to complications arising from me applying PR.

And you are right, $4k is peanut compared to high earners in Shell, but I do work in a rather reputable organisation now who offers me slightly below $5k. Again, like u say, blue collar union workers' pay.

What I meant was for the company to recommend me a job when I head to Canada. If they don't, I will just look for a blue collar job there. I know where I stand and I know I will not command that much. But, thanks for the info anyway.

Maybe I was just naïve to think that there will be a referral system since my friend was 'referred' to Texas. I am looking at a secondment in Canada, if I don't get it, it's fine, really.

I suppose you are one of the experienced, high flyer in MNCs, thanks for the advice anyway. Appreciate it. It doesn't matter, blue or white collar. Elitism is a prevalent condition in Singapore.

Unregistered 02-08-2014 09:57 PM

Actually some companies really do recommend overseas employment for staffs. It isn't considered overseas posting because these staffs will have to resign and reapply again when they are there.

I have heard of a friend whose job allows her to network with others in a global scale, and got introduced a job via someone she met at work. She moves over, and took another role in the same MNC she was working in. So, it is not impossible. Sometimes, a referral letter from the companies' GM will suffice.

You don't need to be exceptionally talented to be working in BIG MNCs, sometimes, you only need a lot of luck, help and networking.

People who migrate without job offers are dreamers, I don't think planning realistically is in their plan.

Unregistered 02-08-2014 11:24 PM

Just ignore all these typical loser sinkies who cannot think outside the box. They are probably stuck in some stupid 5k job and jealous you got the chance to migrate.

Shell is overrated, I talk to them before, even more stupider than a lot most SME. Our GLCs like DBS, SIA, Singtel etc etc got a much better reputation & attract better workers compare to them. Just typical talk big study scholar kind, don't know how to work even simple things at all.

Unregistered 02-08-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54031)
Don’t understand what you mean by MNC with many HQs around the world. The definition of HQ means head office, i.e. 1 place of origin, how can a company have HQs all over the world? At most they have 1 real HQ and 1 tax heaven HQ setup.

It is ridiculous to compare Shell, rank by Fortune as the biggest company in the world, with some lobang you get from a company that dont even need any relevant experience to offer you a job. No sense of proportion at all.

It is not about belittling or what, it is about knowing where you stand and what you have to offer. A $4k salary is less than what Shell offer even for fresh grads as execs or trainee engineer, so you will likely be some clerical officer or blue collar union staff even if you can make it there. I have doubts even Shell will do overseas postings for this level. Maybe out of goodwill for a long serving staff possible, but a fresh joiner clerical officer?

If you can make it to Shell good for you (which I sincerely doubt so), otherwise stop dreaming and start planning realistically.

Also is this company aware of your plans to migrate soon? Otherwise it seems unethical for you to waste their time hiring & training you and then you drop them a bomb you want to go Canada.

what a loser trying to talk big! go back & study more boy boy!

Unregistered 02-08-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54044)

dun bluff lah, blue collar can make >4k, ur fathers company har?

Unregistered 03-08-2014 10:55 AM

Thanks all for the assurance.

I do know it is dumb to move without a job offer, but isn't that something most migrants have to go through?

I know it is impossible for someone as lowly paid as me to land a posting in Canada, but I was just asking if there are any possibilities of being 'recommended' a job there.

It's really annoying when ppl like him say things like 'Stop Dreaming' and called me a clerical worker even though I am dreaming and I am a lowly clerk.

People migrate for reasons of their own. I know its a tough road ahead, so I hope that there could be some allowance in the current new job I am in.

Anyways, I have always find myself a misfit in this country I was born and raised, I am sure a lot of you feel the same. It is insensitive and obnoxious people like him that makes the country inhabitable.

Unregistered 03-08-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54072)
dun bluff lah, blue collar can make >4k, ur fathers company har?

lol don't be sour grape, its normal in oil and gas company. Got rejected by them? 4k+ basic for senior technician I believe. Unless his brother is a technician level and 4k is inclusive of major OT.