Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

KeaneLJC 16-03-2012 10:30 AM

Sorry if I'm being a bit off-topic... To get into such HR jobs, I have to at least get a Degree in Business (HR Management)? What happens if I take banking and finance instead?

Unregistered 16-03-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeaneLJC (Post 22391)
Sorry if I'm being a bit off-topic... To get into such HR jobs, I have to at least get a Degree in Business (HR Management)? What happens if I take banking and finance instead?

It's the first time I hear someone with a finance degree not wanting to get into finance.

forester 16-03-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeaneLJC (Post 22391)

No matter, most HR people did not study HR anyway.

forester 16-03-2012 11:37 AM

For me I am still very junior, only graduate in 2010 and now doing a management trainee program for HR.

The good thing is my company actually tell me what is the exact job and pay level once I graduate when I joined the program. If all goes well I should be getting my Assistant Manager role with 4.6k in another 5 months.

Anyone out there in HR who join through management trainee programs?

KeaneLJC 16-03-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22393)
It's the first time I hear someone with a finance degree not wanting to get into finance.

Hmm, who said I'm from finance? That's why I included the "if", haha.

Unregistered 16-03-2012 02:12 PM

Not bad. How much was the starting pay?

After completing the program, are there any other advantages like priority for overseas posting, hi-po admission etc?

Quote:

Originally Posted by forester (Post 22397)
For me I am still very junior, only graduate in 2010 and now doing a management trainee program for HR.

The good thing is my company actually tell me what is the exact job and pay level once I graduate when I joined the program. If all goes well I should be getting my Assistant Manager role with 4.6k in another 5 months.

Anyone out there in HR who join through management trainee programs?

Unregistered 16-03-2012 06:02 PM

Recruitment Manager for Singapore & Malaysia in a local listed company now.

Basic pay is on low side 8k+ as the emphasis is on bonus which range from 3 – 6 months depending on individual performance.

haiz1234 18-03-2012 12:40 PM

With local university engineering degree

How hard to enter HR job with local university degree in engineering?
Just casual asking

eddie 18-03-2012 03:19 PM

Thinking of moving to HR

Hi all, just want to ask a quick question.

I am currently a Service Delivery Engineer in a hi-tech manufacturing company with close to 11 years of experience. Quite sick of the work and have indicated that I am considering opportunities in HR since I have been working with them closely for the past 2 years in an implementation project.

Since I get along well with the HR Director, he recently offered me an internal posting as HR Assistant Manager looking after the supply chain business. I am quite happy to accept but got a few concerns.

1) Downgrade in rank. Currently my rank is assistant director and the new role is assistant manager, although the pay is still much higher (from now 5.4k to 6.4k) I am worried that if after a few years HR does not work out this will look like a demotion in my CV

I requested for the same rank, but got rejected & answer is that for internal equity my experience and pay they can only give me AM rank.

2) What is the progression like for HR? Honestly there dont seem to be much in terms of salary and promotion potential. If I take up the job and after a few years I gain some experience doing HR, can't really see where else I can develop professionally and move on in career.

Any help & advise from HR people is appreciated.

Thanks.

Unregistered 19-03-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie (Post 22533)
Hi all, just want to ask a quick question.

I am currently a Service Delivery Engineer in a hi-tech manufacturing company with close to 11 years of experience. Quite sick of the work and have indicated that I am considering opportunities in HR since I have been working with them closely for the past 2 years in an implementation project.

Since I get along well with the HR Director, he recently offered me an internal posting as HR Assistant Manager looking after the supply chain business. I am quite happy to accept but got a few concerns.

1) Downgrade in rank. Currently my rank is assistant director and the new role is assistant manager, although the pay is still much higher (from now 5.4k to 6.4k) I am worried that if after a few years HR does not work out this will look like a demotion in my CV

I requested for the same rank, but got rejected & answer is that for internal equity my experience and pay they can only give me AM rank.

2) What is the progression like for HR? Honestly there dont seem to be much in terms of salary and promotion potential. If I take up the job and after a few years I gain some experience doing HR, can't really see where else I can develop professionally and move on in career.

Any help & advise from HR people is appreciated.

Thanks.

Forget about all this rank stuff, most of it is just fake titles to motivate suckers who fall for the scam. Nobody will believe you are a Director in the first place if you are drawing only 5k+.

You logically, if he can offer you AM position in HR at 6k+, his pay as Director will be double or triple of that. Compare this to your current "Assistant Director" pay, you think it makes sense?

Your HR Director cannot say the truth in your face because of co. policy, so you need to read between lines.

There's still a lot room to move up, at only 6.4k and AM level, yours is just entry level HR, it is too early to worry about hitting career ceiling...