Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

Unregistered 19-04-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24003)
I suspected as much. 2.5x floor quite low, good for beginners to try.

2.5x is a good gauge whether you suitable for recruitment. If you cannot clear threshold after 9 months, then it means you are either not suitbale or doing something wrong.

Are you targeting an industry or function?

We have not discussed yet.
What's your advise? Which will be better? I guess functionality will better than industry?

They actually do have a position to source for contract/temp and seems like it's more profitable. Commission is received monthly while the contract is in place thus effort can be carried forward... But more paper work.

Unregistered 19-04-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24004)
We have not discussed yet.
What's your advise? Which will be better? I guess functionality will better than industry?

They actually do have a position to source for contract/temp and seems like it's more profitable. Commission is received monthly while the contract is in place thus effort can be carried forward... But more paper work.

Contract agents are no different from normal desk jobs with basic + variable bonus, stable but a dead end in the industry.

It’s a sales job, depends more on yourself than what you choose. Turnover rates are so high that you can always jump to another agency anyway as long as you cultivate your client/candidate relationships.

Unregistered 19-04-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24009)
Contract agents are no different from normal desk jobs with basic + variable bonus, stable but a dead end in the industry.

It’s a sales job, depends more on yourself than what you choose. Turnover rates are so high that you can always jump to another agency anyway as long as you cultivate your client/candidate relationships.

Sorry can you elaborate?

I have the impression that contract/temp can earn higher commission.
For example I close a total of 50k deal. Maybe 30k is commissionable. assuming commission is 14% thus i will earn $4200 for 3 months.

But for contract, assuming 10% commission on each deal, I'll earn $5000 for each month as long as the contract is in force...right?

Unregistered 19-04-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24015)
Sorry can you elaborate?

I have the impression that contract/temp can earn higher commission.
For example I close a total of 50k deal. Maybe 30k is commissionable. assuming commission is 14% thus i will earn $4200 for 3 months.

But for contract, assuming 10% commission on each deal, I'll earn $5000 for each month as long as the contract is in force...right?

No, you confusing temp/contract with retainer.

Temp/contract simply means the client gives you a contract for a period of time where they will ask you to fill every time there is a need. It normally comes with 0 or token sum of “maintainance fee”, most of the billing only comes when you close positions for them.

It is easier to do temp/contract because you have a fixed flow of jobs coming in, i.e. you don’t need to go ard visiting clients to sell ur services.

Agencies are not stupid, they dun share more with guys who sit around with an easier role. They will raise the floor and/or reduce the sharing, some do away with commission altogether & switch to vb.

Unregistered 19-04-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24017)
No, you confusing temp/contract with retainer.

Temp/contract simply means the client gives you a contract for a period of time where they will ask you to fill every time there is a need. It normally comes with 0 or token sum of “maintainance fee”, most of the billing only comes when you close positions for them.

It is easier to do temp/contract because you have a fixed flow of jobs coming in, i.e. you don’t need to go ard visiting clients to sell ur services.

Agencies are not stupid, they dun share more with guys who sit around with an easier role. They will raise the floor and/or reduce the sharing, some do away with commission altogether & switch to vb.

When I've spoken to the manager, she told me contract/temp is more profitable because they get a cut from the salary monthly when the contract is in force.

I'll clarify with her again. Regardless, thank you for your valuable advices. (:

Unregistered 19-04-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24019)
When I've spoken to the manager, she told me contract/temp is more profitable because they get a cut from the salary monthly when the contract is in force.

I'll clarify with her again. Regardless, thank you for your valuable advices. (:

She is referring to the outsourcing mark up model where they manage payroll & leave. It means more profitable for the agency, not for the consultant lar.

Unregistered 19-04-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24023)
She is referring to the outsourcing mark up model where they manage payroll & leave. It means more profitable for the agency, not for the consultant lar.

Thank you once again.
You've been superb!

Adriel 19-04-2012 06:23 PM

Hi to all.. I have a Diploma in Electrical Engr, worked in SAF Navy for 7 yrs, ORDed in 2011 and now working an in-house security. I have registered for a 2.5 yrs Bachelor in Business Management part time with SIM RMIT. I do not wish to stay in security for much longer and would like to transit into HR industry to gain experience. Anyone here can give recommendations what type of companies I should try applying to..? and what I should look out for? also looking for some networking opportunities here too. thanks in advance!

Adriel 19-04-2012 07:32 PM

Just like to add I would like to go into C&B or BP.. what kind of qualifications & relevant experience should I rack up on? Will the bsc in business management frm rmit be a gd start.?

Adriel 19-04-2012 07:43 PM

Constructive criticisms/recommendations are all welcome~:)