Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1768-hr-related-jobs-how-much-you-earning.html)

Unregistered 17-09-2012 05:04 PM

It is better to keep quiet to let people think you are stupid and talk and show you are a retard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28307)
First off please cut the ad hominem attacks about my supposed bitterness and self-doubt, you dont know me & I dont know you, so just stick with the issue at hand. Let's do a recap of the facts at hand:

1. You made an outrageous claim that you & many others in your HR industry had plenty of experience and opportunities in engaging with CEO & Directors as well as taking part in board meetings.

2. I called out your BS because it sounded outlandish and totally incongruant with the corporate landscape I am familiar with - that some fresh grad or junior hr staff is going to go around presenting to a board committe & engaging with CEOs on business of the day.

3. You then tried to wriggle your way out by applying clever lingual gymnastics on two key words - "engage" and "CEO"

4. You you re-defined "engage" by admiting that the presenter in board meeting is not yourself, but someone senior. But this is accompanied by a meaningless caveat "provide justifications in matters where the main presenter is unable to." Nice try. Did I also tell you that in my first year as an auditor, I had a 1-on-1 session with the "CFO" of a blue chip local listed company to clarify his provision procedures? It was mainly a procedural meeting and we both did what we had to do. Unlike you, I am not so thick skinned to go around sharing that I was having a "completely end to end experience", engaging with a board director or some such nonsense.

5. Secondly you made a word play on the definition of "CEO". You response was that the earlier bombastic pronouncements about CEOs were made in reference to local SME bosses. True to the word but disfavoring to the spirit. A rather disingineous way to get out of a tight spot on what was definitely an attempt to exaggerate through nuances earlier.

6. To further cover up for your bar room bloviations, you admonished me not to be bitter and to open and broaden my horizons - big words for a fresh grad who has no meaningful work experience to date.

I surmise your few months in hr consulting as full of sound & fury that amounts to what is perhaps a fairly typical and average novice experience that could have been offered by many other jobs in many other industries.

Is HR consulting bad? I don't know but probably not since every craft has its trade. Is the experience as unique and enriching as your initial potrayal? Definitely no.

Unregistered 17-09-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28185)
will a person with Bsc in International Business & Marketing be able to be employed into the HR area of work ?

hi guys in HR.
still awaiting an advice.

I am considering taking this Bsc in International Business & Marketing course

example:

Guy A holding a HRM degree

Guy B holding a International Business Degree

Both 0 - min experience, which one will a HR manager choose to employ ?

Unregistered 17-09-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28325)
He is more like consultant office sweeper with that kind of poor english. Cbee is very obvious a high flyer who is sharing his insight in HR and very obvious this guy just want to cause trouble when he know nothing at all. Just like government want to act elitist but clueless what is going on.

Don't bother with this kind of pathetic loser. Now that he is blasted by so many forumers maybe he is hiding and dont dare to come back anymore.

Unregistered 17-09-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28307)
First off please cut the ad hominem attacks about my supposed bitterness and self-doubt, you dont know me & I dont know you, so just stick with the issue at hand. Let's do a recap of the facts at hand:

1. You made an outrageous claim that you & many others in your HR industry had plenty of experience and opportunities in engaging with CEO & Directors as well as taking part in board meetings.

It is very normal for low level consultants to talk to Board of Directors even for big MNC. This just show your ignorance of what is going on.

Quote:

2. I called out your BS because it sounded outlandish and totally incongruant with the corporate landscape I am familiar with - that some fresh grad or junior hr staff is going to go around presenting to a board committe & engaging with CEOs on business of the day.
Are you some old uncle from civil service? The world has move away from seniority, now all the companies have open door policy and anyone including pantry lady can just talk to the CEO straight away. Only civil service practice everything must go by rank and get approval.

Quote:

3. You then tried to wriggle your way out by applying clever lingual gymnastics on two key words - "engage" and "CEO"

4. You you re-defined "engage" by admiting that the presenter in board meeting is not yourself, but someone senior. But this is accompanied by a meaningless caveat "provide justifications in matters where the main presenter is unable to." Nice try. Did I also tell you that in my first year as an auditor, I had a 1-on-1 session with the "CFO" of a blue chip local listed company to clarify his provision procedures? It was mainly a procedural meeting and we both did what we had to do. Unlike you, I am not so thick skinned to go around sharing that I was having a "completely end to end experience", engaging with a board director or some such nonsense.
Board meeting is just for senior management is get together chit chat. You sound like a low level manager who has no idea, senior managers only arrow people below to do things and play politics to move up. Mostly they are dumber than even fresh grad, just good at playing office politics.

Quote:

5. Secondly you made a word play on the definition of "CEO". You response was that the earlier bombastic pronouncements about CEOs were made in reference to local SME bosses. True to the word but disfavoring to the spirit. A rather disingineous way to get out of a tight spot on what was definitely an attempt to exaggerate through nuances earlier.
So what, CEO is CEO. Does not matter if is SME or Apple.

Quote:

6. To further cover up for your bar room bloviations, you admonished me not to be bitter and to open and broaden my horizons - big words for a fresh grad who has no meaningful work experience to date.
You should go out and know more about the world, you have a narrow view base on some 1970s concept.

Unregistered 17-09-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28332)
It is very normal for low level consultants to talk to Board of Directors even for big MNC. This just show your ignorance of what is going on.

Are you some old uncle from civil service? The world has move away from seniority, now all the companies have open door policy and anyone including pantry lady can just talk to the CEO straight away. Only civil service practice everything must go by rank and get approval.

Board meeting is just for senior management is get together chit chat. You sound like a low level manager who has no idea, senior managers only arrow people below to do things and play politics to move up. Mostly they are dumber than even fresh grad, just good at playing office politics.

So what, CEO is CEO. Does not matter if is SME or Apple.

You should go out and know more about the world, you have a narrow view base on some 1970s concept.

Well said !!!!!

Unregistered 17-09-2012 11:49 PM

haha... really. pantry ladies and dishwashers can all rub shoulders with CEOs? what nonsense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28332)

Unregistered 18-09-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28344)
haha... really. pantry ladies and dishwashers can all rub shoulders with CEOs? what nonsense.

he just mean now companies dont talk rank lah. some elitist guy earlier very rude keep insist that CEO will only talk to senior consultant and not entry level consultant.

Unregistered 18-09-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28349)
he just mean now companies dont talk rank lah. some elitist guy earlier very rude keep insist that CEO will only talk to senior consultant and not entry level consultant.

It still is. There is protocol. Moreover, the vendor company wouldn't wanna take such risks by allowing a junior employee to meet senior execs of client companies. Common sense.

Do you see the transport minister meeting a junior sales in a contractor firm to discuss the billion dollar rail project? Even if he wants to, does he have time and will the contractor boss even allow? Just an extreme example to wake up the dreamers.

Unregistered 18-09-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28353)
It still is. There is protocol. Moreover, the vendor company wouldn't wanna take such risks by allowing a junior employee to meet senior execs of client companies. Common sense.

Do you see the transport minister meeting a junior sales in a contractor firm to discuss the billion dollar rail project? Even if he wants to, does he have time and will the contractor boss even allow? Just an extreme example to wake up the dreamers.

Now even PM also talk national conversation with taxi driver.

So what is your background? You talk like some expert consultant like the elititst guy earlier, who determine the protocol? written in some law or company policy?

Sorry, although Cbee admit he a junior hr consultant, he sounds much more credible than you.

Unregistered 19-09-2012 03:06 PM

Overheard on the mrt yesterday, someone speaking to a recruiter.
Said he is looking for entry-level HR job, with WSQ diploma in HRM.
Expected salary - $3000!

:D :D :D

cbee 19-09-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28329)
hi guys in HR.
still awaiting an advice.

I am considering taking this Bsc in International Business & Marketing course

example:

Guy A holding a HRM degree

Guy B holding a International Business Degree

Both 0 - min experience, which one will a HR manager choose to employ ?

Hi, I think what ur asking is really too general and it's hard to give a concrete answer. I feel that disregarding all other factors such as interview skills or past experience, obviously if it was a HR opening you are talking about, a hiring manager would be more inclined towards meeting the candidate with a HRM degree. However, this is really really too generic and hard to say, for it really depends on the firm itself. generally the bigger and more established the firm, you should expect them to be more stringent on the major and university you are from. but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of at least getting an interview in the mid-to-smaller firms even with an unrelated degree. my advice would be if you are sure you want to do HR area of work in future, might as well get a HRM degree.

nobel 20-09-2012 09:06 AM

Hi I am a fresh grad (NUS Computing Science) have been offered a consultant position at a MNC recruitment company.

Basic is 3650, monthly incentive is 15% of billing and it goes up to 25% when exceed 2x target. Anyone can advise if this is good or can negotiate more?

Unregistered 20-09-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobel (Post 28430)
Hi I am a fresh grad (NUS Computing Science) have been offered a consultant position at a MNC recruitment company.

Basic is 3650, monthly incentive is 15% of billing and it goes up to 25% when exceed 2x target. Anyone can advise if this is good or can negotiate more?

basic is ok, incentive depends on your quota. for eg. if you meet the quota at 1x how many months per year is the incentive? any allowance?

Unregistered 20-09-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

what class of honours?
male or female??

3650 is good starting pay!!!, my salary after 3 years can't even hit 3.4k even with 1 promotion

Unregistered 20-09-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

hmm fresh grad at $3650 starting pay ? 1st class honors ? haha
previous experience before entering Uni ?

Unregistered 20-09-2012 02:27 PM

Basically one born in a Baby boomer era vs a Y generation era mentality.

The Y Gen talk about freedom, it is a must to give them as we owe them while the Baby boomer talk about seniority, respect etc

So whom is right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28353)

Unregistered 20-09-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28434)
basic is ok, incentive depends on your quota. for eg. if you meet the quota at 1x how many months per year is the incentive? any allowance?

The quarterly quota is 50k, but no sharing for the first 20k. So that makes the incentive (50k - 20k) x 15% = $4500. So assume I meet quota in all 4 quarter then should be $4500 x 4 = $18,000. Works out to be ~5 months bonus if I can hit quota consistently for whole year.

Allowance not much only $200 monthly mainly for handphone.

nobel 20-09-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28438)
what class of honours?
male or female??

3650 is good starting pay!!!, my salary after 3 years can't even hit 3.4k even with 1 promotion

No honors, pass with merit. Male. Anyway I dont think private companies care about honors or NS.

nobel 20-09-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28434)

*** Double post***

The quarterly quota is 50k, but no sharing for the first 20k. So that makes the incentive (50k - 20k) x 15% = $4500. So assume I meet quota in all 4 quarter then should be $4500 x 4 = $18,000. Works out to be ~5 months bonus if I can hit quota consistently for whole year.

Unregistered 20-09-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobel (Post 28448)
No honors, pass with merit. Male. Anyway I dont think private companies care about honors or NS.

experiences ???????

Unregistered 20-09-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobel (Post 28449)
*** Double post***

both your basic & incentive is on par with market esp. for bigger recruitment consultancies, you should just accept the offer esp. consider you have no work exp.

the quota and sharing threshold is a bit low, most companies will increase once you finish probation, so better to ask them how is the process like in case get caught by surprise 6 months later.

nobel 20-09-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28451)
experiences ???????

Nothing solid except for a 3 month internship with Oracle a year ago.

nobel 20-09-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28458)
both your basic & incentive is on par with market esp. for bigger recruitment consultancies, you should just accept the offer esp. consider you have no work exp.

the quota and sharing threshold is a bit low, most companies will increase once you finish probation, so better to ask them how is the process like in case get caught by surprise 6 months later.

Thanks greatly for your help!

I will ask the hirer about the quota after probation when I go down to sign the offer tomorrow.

Unregistered 21-09-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28444)
Basically one born in a Baby boomer era vs a Y generation era mentality.

The Y Gen talk about freedom, it is a must to give them as we owe them while the Baby boomer talk about seniority, respect etc

So whom is right?

Times have changed. Most companies are not into rank and all levels of employees are free to talk to CEO or Board Directors as open door policy, just that some older people refuse to acknowledge this fact, still trap in fantasy like you need xx years experience, yy credibility or zz rank before you can approach top managers. If a hr consultant like the arrogant idiots earlier cannot even understand this simple fact, then I dont know what to say.

Unregistered 21-09-2012 01:54 PM

Seriously some of the so call HR consultant here so good at talking c0ck should not waste their talents and join the sales industry instead... Just join first job after school can friend friend with Board of Director, CEO, CFO, COO, whatever. CEO for Tan Ah Kow Pte Ltd har? I hope nobody is stupid enough to believe ...

Unregistered 08-10-2012 10:41 AM

Advise

Hi Guys,

I see the thread has been growing! But lets be objective and help each other out. (I.e. dont shoot down my qns/ opinions/ comments)

Just need some advice... I'm currently in my final year (UOL) doing full time, biz degree, expecting to grad 2nd upper. Male. Really keen on going into the HR field... Just need some advice on possible salary to state when i apply for job?

Some background info/ working experience:
- HR project officer (FMCG) temp for 3 mths (during vacation)
- HR L&D, Admin assistant (Bank) Part-time / temp for 10 mths
- HR Intern - Recruitment (bank) for 3 mths (during vacation)
- HR Intern (Oil & Gas) current

Understand the range is 2.4k to 3.5k.
Should go with 3k?

Thanks in advance

Unregistered 08-10-2012 02:59 PM

It really depends on what sort of job, you need to be more specific. HR has many kinds of jobs from low level admin to high level mgt consultants. So far your experience seems to be temp admin, this will not be worth anything when you finish school. If you want to stick with generalist admin HR Exec, 3k is too high & possible only for public sector with honors and NS, market is 2 - 2.4k for fresh grad in pte sector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28831)
Hi Guys,

I see the thread has been growing! But lets be objective and help each other out. (I.e. dont shoot down my qns/ opinions/ comments)

Just need some advice... I'm currently in my final year (UOL) doing full time, biz degree, expecting to grad 2nd upper. Male. Really keen on going into the HR field... Just need some advice on possible salary to state when i apply for job?

Understand the range is 2.4k to 3.5k.
Should go with 3k?

Thanks in advance

cslee 08-10-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28833)
It really depends on what sort of job, you need to be more specific. HR has many kinds of jobs from low level admin to high level mgt consultants. So far your experience seems to be temp admin, this will not be worth anything when you finish school. If you want to stick with generalist admin HR Exec, 3k is too high & possible only for public sector with honors and NS, market is 2 - 2.4k for fresh grad in pte sector

Agreed. For HR admin roles, it's about there. The real big money is earned by the HR sale ppl ~$100K - $300K p.a (a.k.a. recruitment consultants/head-hunters etc) and the HR firm business owners.

Unregistered 09-10-2012 04:50 PM

Hey thanks for the reply.

Actually not really admin role ah.... yes, do have to do admin stuff, but like 20% of the time? Like when i got time than do...

Most of my past experience are like to do with projects...
- Did an employee survey for the company (pretty big FMCG firm...) the full works from design to analysis and presentation.
- At the banks did employee engagement projects, process streamlining and improvement, design workflow and BAU stuff....
- Currently i'm doing projects also... rolling out staff handbook for APAC region and improvement to L&D programmes and some coordination for training.

I'm sure those are not really admin work like printing and doing filing... haha...

For the role wise, i've yet to apply for any jobs... just asking like "what do you think" i should ask for?
Obviously i will nt apply for some simple HR admin job la... lol...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28833)

cross_heaven 09-10-2012 05:26 PM

These 2 postings by you contradict each other:

Post #1

Quote:

Post #2
Quote:

... employee survey for pretty big FMCG firm... the full works from design to analysis and presentation.
... employee engagement projects, process streamlining and improvement, design workflow and BAU stuff....
- Currently i'm doing projects also... rolling out staff handbook for APAC region and improvement to L&D programmes and some coordination for training.
The jobs you claim you did are very much senior BP / specialist level while your previous experiences are all like temp diploma summer jobs - officer, admin assistant, recruiter, intern etc.

I can understand the need to exaggerate a little in your CV and job interviews, but my 2 cents advice is you better tone down on all these big words. Both your academic qualification and low level temp jobs do not support this super high flier strategic image you are trying to create, can end up quite embarrassing if you meet some guai lan interviewer who decide to tekan you.

cslee 09-10-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28862)
Hey thanks for the reply.

Actually not really admin role ah.... yes, do have to do admin stuff, but like 20% of the time? Like when i got time than do...

Most of my past experience are like to do with projects...
- Did an employee survey for the company (pretty big FMCG firm...) the full works from design to analysis and presentation.
- At the banks did employee engagement projects, process streamlining and improvement, design workflow and BAU stuff....

I'm sure those are not really admin work like printing and doing filing... haha...

For the role wise, i've yet to apply for any jobs... just asking like "what do you think" i should ask for?
Obviously i will nt apply for some simple HR admin job la... lol...

I thought it was considered part of admin works. A HR firm business owner told me that he employed fresh grads to do these surveys/analysis/negotiations on top of really simple admin jobs like claims/records/typing etc. But he still consider them as admin staff to support his sale staff.

If he really needed pure simple "typists/filers", he would probably get hourly rated temps (e.g. students etc) instead of graduates, which is cheaper.

Unregistered 09-10-2012 06:46 PM

Wah... did i offend you? why do you sound offensive? Chill... i was just asking a simple question. Dont need to be so worked up...

Maybe the job titles dont do the work i've done justice... But thankfully i was able to get into roles that support SVP/VP level pple... maybe wasnt very clear i DIDNT run the whole show myself, i was involved in the team running it, some part i do take lead (as per instruction from my bosses, they mentor me...), some parts i support... basically team work, head is still boss... I thought of sparing the details, since there is no point explaining everything in detail.... we were in teams doing whatever i've mentioned.

Well, in all honesty, thank you for your feedback, i will be more prepared when people ask in the future... with the details and points to validate what ive done. And in my deference, i'm not trying to create an image.. for what? lol... nothing to lose here. just asking for a simple advice....

Quote:

Originally Posted by cross_heaven (Post 28863)

Post #1

Post #2

The jobs you claim you did are very much senior BP / specialist level while your previous experiences are all like temp diploma summer jobs - officer, admin assistant, recruiter, intern etc.

I can understand the need to exaggerate a little in your CV and job interviews, but my 2 cents advice is you better tone down on all these big words. Both your academic qualification and low level temp jobs do not support this super high flier strategic image you are trying to create, can end up quite embarrassing if you meet some guai lan interviewer who decide to tekan you.

Unregistered 09-10-2012 06:50 PM

Wow thank for highlighting that... could it be just a choice of words for job titles? Nevertheless, its true most of these roles are called admin executives, admin assistant...

Lol... seems like my original qns kena flame.... hahaha... for those who have constructive feedback, do let me know... chap, have 1 plus year of experience in HR, priv uni grad, how much should i put as starting pay? thank you....

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 28865)
I thought it was considered part of admin works. A HR firm business owner told me that he employed fresh grads to do these surveys/analysis/negotiations on top of really simple admin jobs like claims/records/typing etc. But he still consider them as admin staff to support his sale staff.

If he really needed pure simple "typists/filers", he would probably get hourly rated temps (e.g. students etc) instead of graduates, which is cheaper.

cslee 09-10-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28868)
Wow thank for highlighting that... could it be just a choice of words for job titles? Nevertheless, its true most of these roles are called admin executives, admin assistant...

Lol... seems like my original qns kena flame.... hahaha... for those who have constructive feedback, do let me know... chap, have 1 plus year of experience in HR, priv uni grad, how much should i put as starting pay? thank you....

No one gives a damn hood on these fancy titles (e.g. headhunters, VP, SVP .... etc). At the end of the day, the persons who bring in the most revenue call the shots. 80-20 rule applies. 20% of the entire company bring in 80% of the revenues. If you want high salary and most recognition, you'll have to be in that category and not in some departments seen as "cost centres". And that's real commercial.

Unregistered 10-10-2012 09:18 AM

Not surprising, HR usually get contractors to do all the admin work while the managers are busy playing politics and going around building up the company network.

It is a culture in most big companies to hire degree undergrads to run most of the management work like project driver, presentations, data analysis, resource planning, process optimization and board paper writing.

Unregistered 10-10-2012 10:04 AM

actual job got nothing to do with official title.

it is very shallow to judge someone base on title. i can call a admin as svp means a svp job can also be call officer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cross_heaven (Post 28863)

Post #1

Post #2

Unregistered 10-10-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28868)

Dont let those sceptical negative thinkers affect you, most likely they are condem in some dead end jobs and cannot understand how some people with less experience can do more senior level jobs than them.

If you have strong policy making and project management experience in temp or internship, most big company are willing to offer >3.2k. If you are joining MA program, it can reach also reach 4k.

Unregistered 10-10-2012 03:04 PM

interns doing SVP job??? what garbage….

Unregistered 10-10-2012 03:18 PM

Interns doing SVP level job - low chances but still possible if your SVP/even higher mgmt tasks u to do his/her work.

Interns being groomed for SVP role - especially possible if your dad/mom/bro/sis/relative is someone 'big' but otherwise ...

Well, anything in life is possible!

Unregistered 10-10-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28902)
Interns doing SVP level job - low chances but still possible if your SVP/even higher mgmt tasks u to do his/her work.

Interns being groomed for SVP role - especially possible if your dad/mom/bro/sis/relative is someone 'big' but otherwise ...

Well, anything in life is possible!

Any experience worker knows most SVP don't want to do work and just delegate downwards to the managers. Managers delegate to execs and execs dump to interns / temps who are at the lowest food chain.