Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 03-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

Default Students in SG

s://..com/watch?v=4wvcOE2Npp8

Old 09-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

Is it possible to choose which school level (as in Pri, Sec, JC) to teach under PGDE?

Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is it possible to choose which school level (as in Pri, Sec, JC) to teach under PGDE?
They will decide for you. However, if you prefer another type of institution you can indicate during the interview, they may or may not allow the change depending on nation's needs.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
They will decide for you. However, if you prefer another type of institution you can indicate during the interview, they may or may not allow the change depending on nation's needs.
Thanks for the answer! That sounds dangerous. I took the Poly to Uni route. They aren't going to get me to teach JC just because the nation is in desperate need right?

Also, pretty much the entire 2nd paragraph from this page confused me:
nie.edu.sg/teacher-education/practicum/practicum-structure/pgde-pri-sec-jc-programme (add triple w. in front)
Quote:
The student teachers in the PGDE(Pri) and PGDE(Sec) programmes are equipped with the knowledge and skills to teach 2 – 3 primary school subjects, whilst the student teachers in the PGDE (JC) programme are equipped with the knowledge and skills to teach 1 subject at junior college level and 1 subject at secondary school level. The junior college teaching subject must be aligned to the secondary level teaching subject, with the exception of Economics. However, unlike the Dip Ed and BA/BSc(Ed) programmes, the PGDE student teachers do not need to offer academic subjects as they already come into the programme with the relevant content knowledge from their university training.
Just what do they mean by PGDE (Pri) and PGDE(Sec) equipped to teach 2-3 pri school subjects, while PGDE(JC) equipped to teach 1 JC subject and 1 Sec subject? This means PGDE(Sec) won't be taught the skills and knowledge to teach in any Secondary school subject? I don't know how to make sense out of this. And the last sentence of "do not need to offer academic subjects as they already come into the programme with the relevant content knowledge from their university training" - just what do they mean by this entire sentence?
Old 09-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

Seems to be an error - Sec trainees will learn two sec subjects (think might be different for mother tongue teachers).

As for offering academic subjects, I assume they mean taking modules relating to the content knowledge - they assume your degree has covered that already, so in NIE the PGDE will only cover how to teach the subject (and not that much about the subject itself).

Quote:
Just what do they mean by PGDE (Pri) and PGDE(Sec) equipped to teach 2-3 pri school subjects, while PGDE(JC) equipped to teach 1 JC subject and 1 Sec subject? This means PGDE(Sec) won't be taught the skills and knowledge to teach in any Secondary school subject? I don't know how to make sense out of this. And the last sentence of "do not need to offer academic subjects as they already come into the programme with the relevant content knowledge from their university training" - just what do they mean by this entire sentence?
Old 15-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher View Post
The short answer I can tell you is, if it is genuinely 6 hours a week, then you are safe. Because aside from tuition, I can't really think of any other moonlighting stuff that can keep within this tight boundary. But I hope that you don't be like some of my friends. They started to give more priority to this "moonlight" as compared to their admin duties.. And that, I firmly believe is ethically wrong

In light of that, honestly MOE won't be able to find out how many hours per week are you spending on your side job stuff. Hence it is more of integrity and balance. How passionate are you towards teaching vs towards your side job and how much can you commit outside of school without shortchanging your students?
One small detail left out from the conversation above, the 6 hours is "SUBJECT TO PRINCIPAL APPROVAL". You have to get permission from your principal in order to do this, but it is basically career suicide. I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to knock on the boss's office and ask for permission to have a second job.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 21-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Unregistered

Hi all,

I am an NUS undergrad and i am extremely interested in being a teacher after graduation. However, after reading all the comments here, it seems that MOE is becoming more stringent in their selection of teachers and I am rather worried about this. Although i am giving tuition now to gain more experience, is there other ways to increase my chances of getting selected by MOE? And also, would going for a student exchange programme put me at a disadvantage (or advantage?) for my application in the future? Can any current teachers please advice me on this? Thank you in advance!
Old 22-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

I am an NUS undergrad and i am extremely interested in being a teacher after graduation. However, after reading all the comments here, it seems that MOE is becoming more stringent in their selection of teachers and I am rather worried about this. Although i am giving tuition now to gain more experience, is there other ways to increase my chances of getting selected by MOE? And also, would going for a student exchange programme put me at a disadvantage (or advantage?) for my application in the future? Can any current teachers please advice me on this? Thank you in advance!
Is your passion in
1) helping students do well in academics
Or
2) providing a holistic educations for kids (NE, Technology, communication skills, leadership skills, arts appreciation....)

If it's 2), then yes high chance to be selected
Old 23-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how much does a Moe Kindergarten teacher are paid for a degree holder with honours? Can't seem to find any info from the moe website. Thanks!
Old 27-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
One small detail left out from the conversation above, the 6 hours is "SUBJECT TO PRINCIPAL APPROVAL". You have to get permission from your principal in order to do this, but it is basically career suicide. I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to knock on the boss's office and ask for permission to have a second job.
My excolleague's husband was a secondary school teacher, in a rather poor performing school. It seemed that he devoted much more of his effort into private tuition. I think school teachers should be banned from conducting private tuition due to obvious conflict of interest. Just like ppl working in bank have very stringent control on trading privately.