Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 23-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Typical teacher. Can't answer questions so he runs away. Why should fresh grad salaries be lower than teaching? Are other jobs not as important?

No, I did end up in university on my own efforts alone. I re-took my A-levels in NS in order to get into local university. With no help from MOE teachers at all, so there. My NS officers probably played a larger role in helping me get into local uni than all my MOE teachers combined.
Your arguments are incoherent and I do not want to waste time breaking down your nonsensical responses for you though it is fairly simple.

Furthermore, I do not see the point divulging salary information to help you in an online forum when you have proven yourself to be an ingrate to the system, and I am fairly certain I do not want you to be part of the fraternity.

Why don't you ask MOE HR for more direct and reliable source of information if you apply to MOE to be a teacher and they actually accept you for an interview? Don't tell me you will not apply unless you perceive the salary to be good enough for you?

Are you willing to be a primary school teacher based on your qualifications? What kind of subjects can you teach proficiently and at what level?

Do you know that HR is more selective nowadays due to excess manpower? Do you think the government owes you a living based on your entitlement attitude?

Do you think you only teach when you become a teacher?
Btw, teachers also have to provide Character and Citizenship Education (CCE), which you will probably fail to make the cut once your mentors observe you in class.

Go and think and find answers for yourself since I do not spoon feed my students, especially those who have not worked for them.

Old 23-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
When things go well, teacher takes credit. Tell you that you wouldn't have gotten to local uni on your own. When things go bad and student goes to ITE or flunks O-levels, suddenly its the student's fault for being lazy. Or the parent's fault for not disciplining their children. When student is bullied in class, nobody owns up to take responsibility for what happened, just push the blame to the bully. So hypocritical.
See above. You are the same guy based on your responses and females are usually more mature.

Old 27-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Unregistered

Default enquiry for 2nd interview at ite ang mo kio

Hi all,

I have undergone an 1st interview with ITE east mainly the directors, managers and section heads.. received another call from HR to go for interview next week. Just wondering if anyone can share what kinda of interview question they will ask and discuss? They told me to bring my original certs. I am asking for 10% increment, which will be ard 5.3k. It is reasonable? I had 9years of working experience in industry.
Thanks in advance!

Old 25-02-2016, 07:37 PM
jannjann

Default Advice on quitting and joining back again

Fellow teachers, I need to seek your advice...

I am a contract teacher in a school now but I am thinking of quitting. I am a graduate from NUS and joined teaching as my first job. Im wondering if I can quit my contract teaching now and pursue other interest first then join back teaching in later years?

Will MOE still consider me?? Will they penalise me knowing I quitted earlier on? I enjoyed teaching.. Just wanna try other things before committing myself into education for the rest of my life..
Old 27-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannjann View Post
Fellow teachers, I need to seek your advice...

I am a contract teacher in a school now but I am thinking of quitting. I am a graduate from NUS and joined teaching as my first job. Im wondering if I can quit my contract teaching now and pursue other interest first then join back teaching in later years?

Will MOE still consider me?? Will they penalise me knowing I quitted earlier on? I enjoyed teaching.. Just wanna try other things before committing myself into education for the rest of my life..
How far are you in your contract teaching? Which level are you teaching?
I'm sorry I can't help to advise you. I think contract teaching is a good experience to allow the applicant to decide if teaching is for him/her. It is good that you are going through this thinking process now and not later when the contract is signed. All the best, whatever you decide!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How far are you in your contract teaching? Which level are you teaching?
I'm sorry I can't help to advise you. I think contract teaching is a good experience to allow the applicant to decide if teaching is for him/her. It is good that you are going through this thinking process now and not later when the contract is signed. All the best, whatever you decide!
Very risky. Without transferrable skill sets, attempting to job hop will be detrimental if you do not have the connections, and do not have the background applicable for a role in other industries. I have seen teachers with statistical background transit to other sectors....that's about it. If you're looking for language-related careers, I would say journalism. However you'd pretty much face the same pay scale, with less free time.

Old 18-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

its a fufilling career!
Old 19-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Unregistered

Hello teachers. How you all had a good pb.

I have question on workload. I did 6 months relief (those actual teaching kind) in 2007 post NS pre uni. I enjoyed teaching and cca duties. But i saw full time teachers swamped with admin and non-teaching duties like marketing committee that did roadshows at primary school, community outreach etc. These took up more than 30% of their time.

Is still the norm? I read a few years ago moe was trying to lessen admin work load for teachers so they could focus on teaching.

Also may i ask what is the starting GEO grade? Is it 13 and GEO 12 upon confirmation?

Any GEO 11 can share salary range (not personal salary but the range as stated on pac gov).

Thank you.
Old 19-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello teachers. How you all had a good pb.

I have question on workload. I did 6 months relief (those actual teaching kind) in 2007 post NS pre uni. I enjoyed teaching and cca duties. But i saw full time teachers swamped with admin and non-teaching duties like marketing committee that did roadshows at primary school, community outreach etc. These took up more than 30% of their time.

Is still the norm? I read a few years ago moe was trying to lessen admin work load for teachers so they could focus on teaching.

Also may i ask what is the starting GEO grade? Is it 13 and GEO 12 upon confirmation?

Any GEO 11 can share salary range (not personal salary but the range as stated on pac gov).

Thank you.
Roughly for full time teacher 50% is teaching, 30% is CCA, projects, customer service and 20% admin. If you just want to do teaching only, relief or adjunct is the way to go.
Old 19-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Roughly for full time teacher 50% is teaching, 30% is CCA, projects, customer service and 20% admin. If you just want to do teaching only, relief or adjunct is the way to go.
actually depend on some schools. some prestigious schools also demand relief and adjunct to do formteaching OR CCA... on top of teaching.