Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 12-12-2022, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is why people say those working in civil service are out of touch with the working world. A person with 10 yrs of working experience earning low 7k is nothing to be sniffed at.
A person earning slightly more than 100k annually is in the top 20 percentile of income earners in Singapore. And please let's not compare workload, every job has their stress points. Plus, peolpeople can point to how teachers enjoy June and Dec holidays, which even if you take away meetings and lesson prep is still quite substantial.
Most do not even hit 7k with 10YOE. How to, with miserably low increments of around 2-3% for average performers.

Comparing percentile across the whole of Singapore is pointless. You may as well say any degree holder should be thankful they receive higher salaries than non-degree holders, and thus they should stop complaining.

And this is 2022. People are not living in isolation, nor are salaries so secretive nowadays. People can cross check their salaries with the salaries of their family members, friends, and even coursemates from the same course

The fact is that teachers' salaries are no longer competitive, yet the bar to enter the profession is way higher than before (recent intakes are 100% scholars).

The remuneration does not match the heavy workload.

It doesn't make sense to work beyond the legal 44h/week just to get a C or C- for performance. It doesn't make sense to sacrifice health to work 90h weeks just to get a B grade, just to get a miserly bonus and increment not that much higher than a C-grader.

C grade should be awarded to someone putting in normal hours. Those who put in above and beyond deserve their Bs and As.

And if officers cannot complete their assigned tasks without exceeding the 44h work week cap, manpower is lacking.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Any idea when is the connect payout is going to be?

Amount and letter is not on the portal as well
Amt n letter should b out 23rd Dec.

After tat can throw letter?

Old 12-12-2022, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Most do not even hit 7k with 10YOE. How to, with miserably low increments of around 2-3% for average performers.

Comparing percentile across the whole of Singapore is pointless. You may as well say any degree holder should be thankful they receive higher salaries than non-degree holders, and thus they should stop complaining.

And this is 2022. People are not living in isolation, nor are salaries so secretive nowadays. People can cross check their salaries with the salaries of their family members, friends, and even coursemates from the same course

The fact is that teachers' salaries are no longer competitive, yet the bar to enter the profession is way higher than before (recent intakes are 100% scholars).

The remuneration does not match the heavy workload.

It doesn't make sense to work beyond the legal 44h/week just to get a C or C- for performance. It doesn't make sense to sacrifice health to work 90h weeks just to get a B grade, just to get a miserly bonus and increment not that much higher than a C-grader.

C grade should be awarded to someone putting in normal hours. Those who put in above and beyond deserve their Bs and As.

And if officers cannot complete their assigned tasks without exceeding the 44h work week cap, manpower is lacking.
Ya sia. If you are GEO3 and you only work 44h a week and completely stop working after that, you not even gonna get C grade every year. You may prioritise your T&L work and do right by your students, but you will get destroyed every year at ranking exercise because you don't contribute "holistically" to the organisation. And you will be viewed as someone who has no drive, no aspirations, or even no ability.

MOE is normalising working above your paygrade and out of your jobscope, all for mediocre pay.

Want us to work 80-90 hours, pay us 80-90 hours.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Amt n letter should b out 23rd Dec.

After tat can throw letter?
Yup I think that's what many GEO3s do after getting the 1st payout.

Which industry will you be jumping or planning to jump into?

Congrats for getting your freedom as well!!
Old 12-12-2022, 11:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ya sia. If you are GEO3 and you only work 44h a week and completely stop working after that, you not even gonna get C grade every year. You may prioritise your T&L work and do right by your students, but you will get destroyed every year at ranking exercise because you don't contribute "holistically" to the organisation. And you will be viewed as someone who has no drive, no aspirations, or even no ability.

MOE is normalising working above your paygrade and out of your jobscope, all for mediocre pay.

Want us to work 80-90 hours, pay us 80-90 hours.
As a case in point, there was a year where I organised a camp for all UGs, prepared logistics and paperwork for overseas trip and even did extra stuff like maths Olympiad training, organise post exam activities, all on top of T&L and, committee work and CCA. And yet still get B grade. Really makes me wonder what it takes to get an A. MOE just never fails to disappoint.
Old 13-12-2022, 12:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
As a case in point, there was a year where I organised a camp for all UGs, prepared logistics and paperwork for overseas trip and even did extra stuff like maths Olympiad training, organise post exam activities, all on top of T&L and, committee work and CCA. And yet still get B grade. Really makes me wonder what it takes to get an A. MOE just never fails to disappoint.
I got A before as a GEO3 internally appointed SH, covering my HOD who was away on study leave. So I was doing most of a HOD's job, less the reporting load, but with full teaching load, FTship, CCA and three committees. Virtually every weekend and half of protected time was burnt. 0/10 would not recommend. In the end the extra PB means nothing. You can do tuition instead and earn the PB difference much more easily.

I still had to wait 4 years as a GEO3 to be promoted to GEO4. My CEP is not trash either, I got selected for FHQ posting. But whatever, it doesn't matter anymore. Threw letter this year. Slight paycut at the moment, but once you have tasted real work-life balance and an employer that really respects it, you will never look back. It's like flying in business class for the first time in your life.. taking a bite out of the forbidden fruit.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 13-12-2022, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I got A before as a GEO3 internally appointed SH, covering my HOD who was away on study leave. So I was doing most of a HOD's job, less the reporting load, but with full teaching load, FTship, CCA and three committees. Virtually every weekend and half of protected time was burnt. 0/10 would not recommend. In the end the extra PB means nothing. You can do tuition instead and earn the PB difference much more easily.

I still had to wait 4 years as a GEO3 to be promoted to GEO4. My CEP is not trash either, I got selected for FHQ posting. But whatever, it doesn't matter anymore. Threw letter this year. Slight paycut at the moment, but once you have tasted real work-life balance and an employer that really respects it, you will never look back. It's like flying in business class for the first time in your life.. taking a bite out of the forbidden fruit.
Thank you for sharing! Which industry did you transit to?
Old 13-12-2022, 01:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yup I think that's what many GEO3s do after getting the 1st payout.

Which industry will you be jumping or planning to jump into?

Congrats for getting your freedom as well!!
Sadly..mine is 2nd payout.. and still a Geo3..

Freelance Tuition

Thank u!!
Old 13-12-2022, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sadly..mine is 2nd payout.. and still a Geo3..

Freelance Tuition

Thank u!!
It's OK, you're still young! Still have lots to enjoy in life

I've got a friend who is a full time tutor and she enjoys her freedom and work life balance a lot. No restrictions of any kind from Ministry, no marking, no lesson planning, no CCA, no committee, no FTship. Can plan own flexible hours, can have some online tutoring, can even play mobile games with her kids during breaks in between. She earns probably around the salary range of a GEO4. May be slightly higher or lower depending on the number of kids she decides to take in.
Old 13-12-2022, 03:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is why people say those working in civil service are out of touch with the working world. A person with 10 yrs of working experience earning low 7k is nothing to be sniffed at.
A person earning slightly more than 100k annually is in the top 20 percentile of income earners in Singapore. And please let's not compare workload, every job has their stress points. Plus, peolpeople can point to how teachers enjoy June and Dec holidays, which even if you take away meetings and lesson prep is still quite substantial.
You are out of touch. Most of the high impact, innovative and efficient ground-level work in MOE is being done by the GEO3 and GEO4 officers. Their salaries are NOT 100k per annum. In a country where a premium is placed on quality education, it is not difficult for them to go outside and earn a comparable salary but with mind-blowingly greater levels of work-life balance. If not that, then, to go outside and earn mind-blowingly more money for the same volume and intensity of work.

The mass brain drain at the GEO3 level is starting. Is a 10% salary bump enough to arrest the exodus? We'll see... not all problems can be solved by throwing cash at them.