Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 17-04-2022, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Already seo5 she just wondering if it worth it to be seo1 or hot/sot… she will hit ceiling in few years … she realise diff 500 between geo5 n seo1 only
If there’s an opportunity to take up a KP appointment, she should go for it. This will allow her the chance to move on to SEO1 in future. The workload of a KP might be lighter than a normal teacher, depending on individual schools’ practices. In some schools, KPs are offloaded from teaching periods, form teachership and CCAs. Form teachership itself already takes up much of a teacher’s time and with CCAs, you will end up going home later.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 17-04-2022, 03:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just curious if Teachers are required to give out their personal Hp numbers to students, for sec sch and above? If yes, wouldn’t you receive a lot of texts / queries from students on weekends?
This has never been a requirement. Are you a teacher?

Yes you will receive some messages on weekends if you do choose to give out. Don't feel bad about waiting until Monday morning to reply to messages that do not require your immediate, urgent intervention.

Old 17-04-2022, 03:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This has never been a requirement. Are you a teacher?

Yes you will receive some messages on weekends if you do choose to give out. Don't feel bad about waiting until Monday morning to reply to messages that do not require your immediate, urgent intervention.
To be honest it’s not difficult to reply texts especially if it’s queries. I never hesitate to reply immediately to work or student texts. Anyway, most people, even students are quite understanding and mature enough not to spam you on the weekends. Person opinion here ~

Old 17-04-2022, 04:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
To be honest it’s not difficult to reply texts especially if it’s queries. I never hesitate to reply immediately to work or student texts. Anyway, most people, even students are quite understanding and mature enough not to spam you on the weekends. Person opinion here ~
Not difficult to reply doesn’t mean you have to do it. It is important to respect boundaries and recognise that teachers need their own space too. While it may be a way for a teacher to build bonds with students via texts, teachers ought to be mindful about the kind of interaction they have with students beyond work setting in order not to cross the line. They are NEVER your friend, as long as they are still under your duty of care. And making comms via other platforms a norm might result in students who do not have that kind of interaction with you to feel left out, and those who managed to do so to feeling more privileged.

Your action might also result in unhealthy comparison among students/ parents. “Why is it that Xxx can reply my enquiry over the weekend yet you can’t”. Even if one tries to justify that it is personal preference and teachers are not obliged to do so after work hours, it is still inevitable for the stakeholders to enjoy the preferential treatment.

My take is:
1. You can give out your number, but let students and parents know that comms should be restricted to work hours.
2. Establish understanding that messages/calls should be pertaining to work matters ONLY. And they should be items that require more urgent attention. Else, bring up the matters in person during school hours.
Old 17-04-2022, 06:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You probably do so out of the willingness to help your colleagues and the students you care about, which is good on you.

However, it is also important not to allow them to get too used to it, and become heavily dependent on the 24/7 helpdesk that always replies promptly even if it is the holidays. So some discretion is important. If sh*t hits the fan in a student's life, definitely go out of your way to help them. But if they forgot what is the homework you told them about twice, and text you on Sunday evening, they should learn that the teacher has no obligation to reply promptly.
Old 17-04-2022, 06:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
On my way to HQ next year on FHQ posting, but already thinking of throwing letter. Have been internally appointed as SH for one year then HOD this year, with full teaching load. Not yet a confirmed KP because only promoted to geo4 this year. The work life balance is nonexistent. My normal teacher job eats up 60-80 hours a week, then I have to pull multiple allnighters a week to complete HOD work. I estimate I work about 100-110 hours per week in total.

School says I have high CEP and a good future but my promotion rate doesn't really match up to expectations.

I suppose HQ protects our worklife "harmony" a bit better? Help me understand if I should just give up now and seek greener pastures elsewhere..
Internal posting sounds like a sham. Do all the work with none of the recognition.

Old 17-04-2022, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Internal posting sounds like a sham. Do all the work with none of the recognition.
In the past, deserving young teachers could be appointed SH/LH at geo3 if they cleared the interview. Too bad that is not the case now. Sometimes schools need to give the young officer some management insight and experience before they move on (e.g. to HQ, like that internal HOD who posted earlier). If HR takes so long to promote the officer to geo4, internal appointments are the only way.
Old 17-04-2022, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If there’s an opportunity to take up a KP appointment, she should go for it. This will allow her the chance to move on to SEO1 in future. The workload of a KP might be lighter than a normal teacher, depending on individual schools’ practices. In some schools, KPs are offloaded from teaching periods, form teachership and CCAs. Form teachership itself already takes up much of a teacher’s time and with CCAs, you will end up going home later.
agree. it depends on the school. in my previous school, kps are offloaded from teaching periods n also cca. Most of them go home by 330-4pm, while staff room will have teachers staying till 6pm plus to try to finish more work. Its impossible to find any kps in the school after 4pm, so its an open secret that if a teacher needs to speak to the hod face to face, must find the hods before 4pm. In my previous school, the kps have a much lighter work load than normal teachers.
Old 17-04-2022, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
agree. it depends on the school. in my previous school, kps are offloaded from teaching periods n also cca. Most of them go home by 330-4pm, while staff room will have teachers staying till 6pm plus to try to finish more work. Its impossible to find any kps in the school after 4pm, so its an open secret that if a teacher needs to speak to the hod face to face, must find the hods before 4pm. In my previous school, the kps have a much lighter work load than normal teachers.
KPs are offloaded from CCA, Civics and Teaching Classes to supposedly do more admin.

However, some KPs are not good role models.
Old 17-04-2022, 11:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
On my way to HQ next year on FHQ posting, but already thinking of throwing letter. Have been internally appointed as SH for one year then HOD this year, with full teaching load. Not yet a confirmed KP because only promoted to geo4 this year. The work life balance is nonexistent. My normal teacher job eats up 60-80 hours a week, then I have to pull multiple allnighters a week to complete HOD work. I estimate I work about 100-110 hours per week in total.

School says I have high CEP and a good future but my promotion rate doesn't really match up to expectations.

I suppose HQ protects our worklife "harmony" a bit better? Help me understand if I should just give up now and seek greener pastures elsewhere..
If anything, did you willingly take up the role of an unofficial HOD? Were you given a choice?

As far as I know, probation is a year long.