Career as Teacher - Page 515 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 16-04-2022, 09:40 AM
Verified Member

Tinkermaster is on a distinguished road

Independent schools have their own set of problems. Friends in IPSs are commenting on the top-heaviness and promotion limits as there is simply no way for promising young ones to assume appointments. And after a few more years in service, where you hit your 40s, your energy and priorities would have also changed. If you don't fit into their culture, you will find it tough to move anywhere else But system-wise, I guessed it is similar in MOE, just that at least you have a few other avenues to move along. I guessed as long as you have experience in different projects that showcase your abilities, you can still sell these when you intend to do cross-ministry moves. Have seen colleagues made the cross. So rather than restricting yourself to what your degree is pegged to, explore and plan out your own path in other competencies.

Old 16-04-2022, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

How to cross over to other ministries?

Old 16-04-2022, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

Looking at some of the previous posts, I would like to share some advice and experiences from ex-teaching colleagues.

1. If we were to look further into the future, WLB is not going to improve anytime soon. Just look at the recent list of mergers. Maintaining large classroom sizes while further reducing teacher manpower. Look at all the initiatives thrown down from the top (to serve their own KPIs). We are all the ones executing the battles instead.

2. For those who are still in your 30s, you still have a chance in the outside world. Best to step out before it's too late (when you're too old). There are some alternatives suggested by my ex-colleagues:

a. Tuition (private or tuition centre)
b. Resign and apply, or transfer to another Ministry/stat board
c. Take certifications or courses at the side and build your own portfolio so that you have a chance to get into private sector.

3. Even during the process of changing jobs, do not always expect your salary to stay the same for lesser work or work-hours. You need to be realistic.

a. For tuition, a lot (salary/hours) is up to you. I have an ex teacher friend who can still maintain about $5k salary a month for private assignments. You gotta be proactive, but it can also be very flexible.

b. Most teachers try to do a transfer to a different Ministry or stat board. However, the process can be quite slow and difficult. Many I know of transferred to polytechnics (years of experience taken into account, with almost similar pay). Some just resigned and applied for new jobs within the civil service (but risk a larger payout since prior experience may not be recognised, though WLB is also significantly better).

For those who are resigning and applying again, be smart. If we look at the big picture of how resources are being allocated these days, so much manpower and funds are pumped into tech and finance. A fresh grad in these civil service sectors get offered close to $5k starting salaries. Go for such sectors within the civil service.

c. Although private sector is a lot more unpredictable, there may be larger rewards. Whenever you are free, go for certain courses (can even be online) to earn certifications in tech and finance. I know of ex-teachers getting certified in certain IT or finance skills, and then hop over to the private sector without much difficulty. Many get to wfh now. This advice also applies to those transferring/resigning and applying for non-education sectors within the public service.

4. While we always chase for higher salaries, remember that your physical and mental health is still the most important. Not just for yourself, but for your loved ones too. If you feel that such work is taking a toll on you, it is really time to look elsewhere (before it's too late).

5. Remain updated and realistic about the big picture. Teaching is a dying sector now. If you really want a change, go for the growing sectors

Old 16-04-2022, 01:48 PM
Unregistered

Thank you all for the advice. Teaching has really started to take a toll (both physically/ mentally and I believe that I am not the only one here...) so I am starting to rethink how I would like to lead my life. Staying on in the service definitely feels 'safe', but I think I would like to start looking elsewhere now. All the best to the other educators who are thinking to do the same
Old 16-04-2022, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Friend asking if is a good idea to post back to school after hq stint? Think she aiming for sh or equivalent… or shd she be hot? Her IT skill set allow her to apply for other ministry as well but she is also keen to be fajt plus private tutor once she has enough.. any advice? Thx
Old 16-04-2022, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

I think "HOT" is already outdated. The H should be removed, looking at our current situation. Or replace it with the opposite of that H, which is an S.

"SOT" sounds more appropriate.

Old 16-04-2022, 03:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Friend asking if is a good idea to post back to school after hq stint? Think she aiming for sh or equivalent… or shd she be hot? Her IT skill set allow her to apply for other ministry as well but she is also keen to be fajt plus private tutor once she has enough.. any advice? Thx
For FAJT path - would be advisable to try to get to GEO5 before resigning, if possible. An SH appointment would help with that (though she'll need to be prepared to work hard in the meantime).
Old 16-04-2022, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think "HOT" is already outdated. The H should be removed, looking at our current situation. Or replace it with the opposite of that H, which is an S.

"SOT" sounds more appropriate.
The HOT still exists. The GEO5 who is at or near the ceiling and only does enough every year to be ranked in low band C. While they definitely still work hard because the basic job is still tough and demanding, they don't have to bust their asses on extra stuff and side projects at the expense of their relationships, physical health and mental health.

I always suspect top management thinks we're ok because the basic job is really ok. It's only when senior/mid management start to add extra side dishes, desserts and condiments that squander man-hours for not much real benefit (except to their own professional KPIs) that "young and energetic" teachers start having to bust their asses.
Old 16-04-2022, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

True that! The difference in remuneration for a B grader and a C grade is at max 1.25 months. But how much more needs to be done to get that B? Aim for GEO5 as soon as possible and then be a HOT or SOT. Do the minimum to get a C but don’t short change the students. Good enough that way! If u need more $$ each month, there are definitely ways to get it.
Old 16-04-2022, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Looking at some of the previous posts, I would like to share some advice and experiences from ex-teaching colleagues.

1. If we were to look further into the future, WLB is not going to improve anytime soon. Just look at the recent list of mergers. Maintaining large classroom sizes while further reducing teacher manpower. Look at all the initiatives thrown down from the top (to serve their own KPIs). We are all the ones executing the battles instead.

2. For those who are still in your 30s, you still have a chance in the outside world. Best to step out before it's too late (when you're too old). There are some alternatives suggested by my ex-colleagues:

a. Tuition (private or tuition centre)
b. Resign and apply, or transfer to another Ministry/stat board
c. Take certifications or courses at the side and build your own portfolio so that you have a chance to get into private sector.

3. Even during the process of changing jobs, do not always expect your salary to stay the same for lesser work or work-hours. You need to be realistic.

a. For tuition, a lot (salary/hours) is up to you. I have an ex teacher friend who can still maintain about $5k salary a month for private assignments. You gotta be proactive, but it can also be very flexible.

b. Most teachers try to do a transfer to a different Ministry or stat board. However, the process can be quite slow and difficult. Many I know of transferred to polytechnics (years of experience taken into account, with almost similar pay). Some just resigned and applied for new jobs within the civil service (but risk a larger payout since prior experience may not be recognised, though WLB is also significantly better).

For those who are resigning and applying again, be smart. If we look at the big picture of how resources are being allocated these days, so much manpower and funds are pumped into tech and finance. A fresh grad in these civil service sectors get offered close to $5k starting salaries. Go for such sectors within the civil service.

c. Although private sector is a lot more unpredictable, there may be larger rewards. Whenever you are free, go for certain courses (can even be online) to earn certifications in tech and finance. I know of ex-teachers getting certified in certain IT or finance skills, and then hop over to the private sector without much difficulty. Many get to wfh now. This advice also applies to those transferring/resigning and applying for non-education sectors within the public service.

4. While we always chase for higher salaries, remember that your physical and mental health is still the most important. Not just for yourself, but for your loved ones too. If you feel that such work is taking a toll on you, it is really time to look elsewhere (before it's too late).

5. Remain updated and realistic about the big picture. Teaching is a dying sector now. If you really want a change, go for the growing sectors

Thank you for sharing. Any idea what certs/courses to go for that are recognised by private sectors?