Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 16-01-2022, 09:38 PM
Unregistered

Default Realities of teaching in MOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The whole system is just so stuck and people just can’t move up the leadership track so easily anymore.
Schools have merged or some merging soon, which means even fewer leadership positions and excess teachers in the system.
And then there’s that excuse of not having enough exposure when identifying officers to be VPs, but the problem is there aren’t many KP positions in open posting exercise for that fluidity in movement across schools, unless we consider doing cross-level deployment.
Not everyone can be suited or are successful in adapting to cross-level deployment too.

There are many HODs who have cleared VP interviews but still stuck as HOD coz there just isn’t positions available for them. Unless in the next few years, suddenly there are many retiring VPs and Ps (which is even harder given the recent rise in retirement age announced), everyone else down the chain would just have to be stagnated in their current state.
Worse still, now even VPs are identified & centrally managed by HR; no longer do Cluster Sups or school principals have a say in recommending HODs to HR for the role.
But how would HR know the officers well enough to determine their suitability to be VPs and above?
This also could suggest again that the scholars are gonna be put up for the roles first, leaving other very outstanding high potential non-scholars or other officers hardly any chance at all.

Which also means again promotion rate is stuck, and the poor young teachers in service and who have aspirations may find it ‘unattractive’ to stay in service.
While many of us join the service for the love of nurturing the generations of students to come and making a difference, this shouldn’t be something that the ministry takes for granted; and it’s perfectly normal to have aspirations so that we continue to embrace challenges, learn new things and grow our competencies too.
Thanks for the insight. I'm a current HOD in a primary school, and cannot agree more with what has been mentioned here. I know of outstanding HODs who remain as HODs and never got the chance to attend Vp Interview. Out of my cohort of NIE mates, only one of us is a current Vp appointed at 36 years old. And you guessed it right - he is an overseas scholar. I know of another who from a position of secondary school HOD was appointed as a JC Vice-Principal - also a scholar on the FLP programme. Just look at the linked-in profiles of many P and Vp - almost 80% are scholars.

This is my 13th year in service and at age 39, I know that I have reached the highest appointment I can possibly hold due to my non-scholar status. Truth be told, I have learnt to slow down and take things easy, do a honest day's work, don't short change the students and don't mess up. As HOD, admin work never ends. Much time is spent and wasted at management meetings, energies spent dealing with over anxious parents , weeknights and weekends on marking, ranking and appraisal, exam setting and a host of other duties. After some time, the 'passion' inevitably will fizzle out.

And for the GEO officers who are thinking that the renumeration of a SEO1 officer is good - let me share that on my year of being bumped into seo1 from GEO5, the jump was not more than $250 (excluding the typical merit increment). Although we do not come into the service for purely monetary gains, I would anticipate that MOE would accord better recognition for a milestone promotion such as this.

Fortunately, I have been thrifty in my years of working, and am considering leaving the service in a few years time to take on part time teaching/tutoring for a more well-balanced work life harmony.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 17-01-2022, 09:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is the pay diff very big? I heard from others that they pay you based on your last drawn and then pro rate.
not sure about that.

but the lesser years u spend in your current grade, the bigger the pay diff when u get promoted, no?

as compared to an officer who is almost reaching the ceiling of his/her current grade, when he/she gets promoted, the pay diff should be a lot smaller.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 17-01-2022, 09:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I'm a current HOD in a primary school, and cannot agree more with what has been mentioned here. I know of outstanding HODs who remain as HODs and never got the chance to attend Vp Interview. Out of my cohort of NIE mates, only one of us is a current Vp appointed at 36 years old. And you guessed it right - he is an overseas scholar. I know of another who from a position of secondary school HOD was appointed as a JC Vice-Principal - also a scholar on the FLP programme. Just look at the linked-in profiles of many P and Vp - almost 80% are scholars.

This is my 13th year in service and at age 39, I know that I have reached the highest appointment I can possibly hold due to my non-scholar status. Truth be told, I have learnt to slow down and take things easy, do a honest day's work, don't short change the students and don't mess up. As HOD, admin work never ends. Much time is spent and wasted at management meetings, energies spent dealing with over anxious parents , weeknights and weekends on marking, ranking and appraisal, exam setting and a host of other duties. After some time, the 'passion' inevitably will fizzle out.

And for the GEO officers who are thinking that the renumeration of a SEO1 officer is good - let me share that on my year of being bumped into seo1 from GEO5, the jump was not more than $250 (excluding the typical merit increment). Although we do not come into the service for purely monetary gains, I would anticipate that MOE would accord better recognition for a milestone promotion such as this.

Fortunately, I have been thrifty in my years of working, and am considering leaving the service in a few years time to take on part time teaching/tutoring for a more well-balanced work life harmony.
Hi. I have been a silent reader in this forum. But I had to post a shoutout to you because I totally agreed with u

I was a cross-leveled deployed SEO2 KP and I am in my early 40s. I got my SEO2 when I was 40. And from the hints my previous RO gave me, my CEP would be that of a VP. And I can say that I do a big piece of work in my school. However. I am not in FLP. 2 of my ex-HQ colleagues became VP as they were under FLP. I was disappointed at first but have learnt to accept it.

Sometimes the life higher up may not be better. I did a calculation of my total income when I was SEO1 and SEO2. My pay with PB as SEO1 was higher than when I was at SEO2. When I was SEO1, my PB was B and now that I am an SEO2, my PB is at most a C. When I saw my VP friends my age working, I am consoled in a way. While being a HOD is busy, I am certainly not as busy as them and I had time to spend with my kids. Paywise, its quite good as well.

Old 17-01-2022, 10:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Will stepping down to become a non-KP help in terms of work life balance?
Old 18-01-2022, 06:05 AM
Unregistered

Let the near retirement folks in leadership positions retire early, have a renewal of leadership with a mix of young and middle age folks.
And a balance of scholars and non scholars in these positions.

It’s not that difficult but it’s complex with an excess population of teachers in the system.
Old 18-01-2022, 11:21 AM

passion8888 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Would like to ask if anyone who had a secondment to MOE kindergarten or have friends who have done so during previous OPE, any views on that? if there are any MK educators whose colleagues had been seconded from moe primary school and willing to shed some light on what work is like as a kindergarten teacher, would like to hear from you too. Can pm me too?Thanks in advance!

Old 18-01-2022, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

My school is among those merging at the end of this year.

1) Anyone with experience on how merger works.
2) With this year being the 2nd year of my posting from OPE, will I be able to leave earlier?
3) If I were to join the merged school, would it be my 3rd year or will I restart my 3 years there?
4) what are the considerations to join a merged school or choosing to start afresh elsewhere?

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 19-01-2022, 05:21 AM
Unregistered

Anybody has applied for MOE post-graduate scholarship before and successful in application?
What attributes do they look out for, especially from the interview segment?

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 19-01-2022, 05:23 AM
Unregistered

Anyone knows if there a minimum sub-grade you need to attain before you have opportunity to be considered for VP-ship?

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 19-01-2022, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone knows if there a minimum sub-grade you need to attain before you have opportunity to be considered for VP-ship?
seo1 minimum