Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 27-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I got my GEO 5 (then GEO 1A3) at the age of 33. Now I am 40 and will remained geo 5 till retirement since I stepped down from my KP position and just want to be a happy ordinary teacher.
How hard is it to get GEO5 by 33?

Old 27-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The RO isn't the only one who crosses paths with the officer. Many other KPs who are either on the panel or have some influence over the appraisal will also be working closely with the officer, like committee heads and 2ICs, HOD/CCA, IP head for officer's CS2, other KPs in the officer's department(s), KPs in charge of special projects, etc etc.

If you shine, you shine. Unless the whole school is conspiring against you, in which case it is time to seek a change in environment and a fresh start.
You must remember who chairs the ranking board?

If the RO is not on good terms with the officer, other who wished to fight for higher ranking for their subordinates will not face any objection from the RO.

Also, when the P recommends a certain grade for the officer, who dares to stand forward to object?

As long as the RO wants his/her JH to get lower ranking, it can be done. The rest of the KPs will not voice out because they want their own JH to rank higher. What is writing a report to a RO who wants to eliminate his/her JH?

Old 27-11-2020, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I got my GEO 5 (then GEO 1A3) at the age of 33. Now I am 40 and will remained geo 5 till retirement since I stepped down from my KP position and just want to be a happy ordinary teacher.
Why did u give up a higher salary appointment?

Old 28-11-2020, 09:25 AM
Unregistered

HOT after 7 years as kp geo5?
Would think the more likely reason is cannot break into SEO pay grade.

Actually after 7 years officer most likely at geo5 salary ceiling of 7.8k.
How likely is it that SLs and cluster sup will significantly downgrade their expectations of the officer even though he/she no longer in exco?

Conversely, it could be the longer one hentak kaki at geo5 ceiling, the more they require of the officer.
That’s why there seems to be anxiety among senior geo5 officers; trying not to be left behind by starting projects, leading committees etc so as to avoid the dreaded intra-geo5 grade of c- or d. This especially if newly minted geo5 officers join the pool.

On a related note, there are even vps who step down to become HOT again...Don’t know if they’re seo1 or geo5 pay grade; then again it seems the same anxiety shows up in a more intense form given their above average background. Perhaps because seo1 could be ranking intra-cluster versus intra-school...?

Would think the general advice for the real HOTs is to keep an arms length from these voluntary down-graders in terms of being in their team. Won’t be surprised if more work cascades down to justify their longer yis at that sub-grade, relatively higher pay at the ceiling, and existential need to remain competitive in the ranking pool.

Just a 2 cents worth.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 28-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Wink

Quote:
Why did u give up a higher salary appointment?
I worked my ass off to get to a SH position (even given high CEP by the interview panel) and sent to MLS (HOD/KP), led to believe that I would be given the HOD post when the current holder retires the next year. However, the P stabbed me in the back and gave it to junior officer who was just geo 1A1. Suffered terrible pre & post natal depression as a result (guess God decided to give me a baby to replace the position )

Realised that I did not work smart and no one is irreplaceable.. so not gonna make that same mistake again and decided to step down to focus on core duty of teaching and family.
Old 28-11-2020, 06:32 PM
Unregistered

Applaud you for your courage. I will definitely prioritise my family, a permanent setting in my life rather than a transient one (i.e. work) in my life.

Used to hunker after leadership roles, but I realised all these leadership roles are just carrots dangled to entice young officers into doing **** work.

So I figured, I will just be happy maxing out at geo 5, earning 7.7k.wont die of hunger and can still live comfortably.

I reached geo 4 at age 31, male. 7 years in service. I guess considered average performed. Past 5 perf grades have been Bs C+ and C

Old 29-11-2020, 01:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher View Post
That will be true, going by your context. However, it is also impossible that every achievement is not recognised or that his calibre will not be shown. He may 'shine' less but he will still shine. RO does play a part but if an officer is getting C- or D, there are definitely good reasons for that because reports have to be written to justify the grade (same as A).

So albeit human factors come into play. If you are a diamond, you will still shine eventually.
I did not know in order for an officer to get C-, a report has to be written. Heard that it was still considered a good grade, and only a D needs a report.

I supposed a RO needs to inform the officer of his performance grading during work review and give the officer a chance to improve; otherwise, it would be unethical for the RO to let the officer only know in Apr.
Old 29-11-2020, 04:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
How hard is it to get GEO5 by 33?
I worked my ass off actually. headed a committee and subject in school (in the 1st year i led, I improved the results from 60% to 90%) organized cluster events and even headed a community of practice at cluster level. Got the school the Innergy award for one project that I led with one of the school VPs

I did not work smart though.. focus too much on work and tasks.. don’t be like me — work smarter
Old 29-11-2020, 12:03 PM
Unregistered

Pls don't say such things. It's the sch that doesn't deserve you.

It's the system where the fault lies.
Old 29-11-2020, 04:44 PM
Unregistered

I just got offered recently and would be starting my UT stint soon.

I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone can give any advice

1) What are the expectations and responsibilities of an UT? (Can be anything like how often do we teach, CCA responsibilities etc)

2) What are some things that you wish you could have done better or not done when you look back?

3) I am currently tutoring some students and I am debating whether to drop them as I do not want to over-commit to my tutees. If you know or have heard of anyone's experiences, do lmk!

Thank you from a junior looking forward to join the teaching fraternity ^_^

Have a great day ahead and its the school holidays!!! [/QUOTE]

Welcome to the fraternity! Like someone mentioned above, it does vary from school to school. For my school, UTs are also attached to CTs for their CS1 and 2m but they may follow other teachers for exposure to other levels/streams. Whether you get to take on the classes depends on the CTs. I know of some who are given the class to teach, and others who are given specific lessons/topics to teach.

In my school, UTs were given responsibilities in the department, committees and CCAs too, though more task rather than planning based. It's through that you may be doing much more than some of your peers if you are given these responsibilities. But do see them as opportunities to gain some exposure to the inner workings of schools, as these are just some of the things you are expected to do as a teacher in the future.

Do work hard and learn as much as you can. It's a valuable period to rake up a lot of experience that you can use for your practicum and as a beginning teacher in the future. But i would also advise you not to burn yourself out too. Use this period to consider whether the career is for you (if you have not already signed a bond), talk to colleagues outside your department, young and old to find out how it's like. And remember, one school experience is not definitive of all school experiences.

Good luck!