Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 03-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Be prepared for more office politics at the higher level. Learn to read your SLs.
Unfortunately, this is rather practical advice - at the very least, should try to figure out how to best support your SLs.

One thing that ppl often try to do when starting out is to attempt to do all the work by themselves - the scope of work increases drastically the further you rise; learn to delegate and assign good officers to help get things done.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
OP here, am grateful for the help and heartened by the support! I understand it will not be easy.

I’ll be taking it up in my current school, replacing the current SH who is leaving. It is a primarily IP position but it is expected I will also do dual SH duties for another non-IP portfolio (e.g. Pupil Welfare), as the previous SH did. It will be one year internal appointment first starting next year. As for my background, I would be considered an experienced teacher, but I definitely have less than 10 years in the service.

I will take on the internal SH appointment beginning next year.
Self
Since it’s an internal appointment, I assume you have an HOD too? If so, it’ll be good for you to clarify if this role is really something you want. You’ll have to make some sacrifices, but there’ll also be some rewards (both tangible and intangible). Manage your pace, don’t burnout.

Others
Downwards: relationships with other teachers may change, especially since now you have to be somewhat responsible for their work too. They’ll also look to you for advice. Remain humble.

Sideways: learn from experienced KPs, especially during SMC meetings. Not forgetting your HOD of course.

Upwards: manage their expectations. Negotiate workload if you can. Reading bosses is like what others say, very important.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Unregistered216

Default Cep

hi all

any current/former ROs here have any advice about what bosses are looking out for when considering my CEP?

i've been doing well every year (C+s and Bs consecutively), but been told indirectly that my CEP is not high.

unfortunately there's not much coaching from my bosses on what i can do to be a better employee. whether i get promoted is not so impt, what's impt is my own personal growth to be a better employee.

any advice pls? thanks.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered216 View Post
hi all

any current/former ROs here have any advice about what bosses are looking out for when considering my CEP?

i've been doing well every year (C+s and Bs consecutively), but been told indirectly that my CEP is not high.

unfortunately there's not much coaching from my bosses on what i can do to be a better employee. whether i get promoted is not so impt, what's impt is my own personal growth to be a better employee.

any advice pls? thanks.
How many years have you been in service? If you are only GEO 2, your CEP is unlikely to be raised so quickly & since the expectation of lower sub grade is not as demanding, it is also easier for you to be getting Bs
Old 06-08-2020, 07:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi all

any advice pls? thanks.
CEP is usually recommended to be raised by a school-based panel when you are earmarked to take up SH/LH/AYH positions in the near future, or to be groomed into an ST. Unfortunately there is no openly published detailed set of criteria for this, but basically you have to demonstrate potential to cope in such positions - so, demonstrate ability to handle some form of management work and show some leadership traits while in your current jobscope.

It also depends on whether you are noticed, and make it known to your SLs and RO that you want to advance into management or teacher-leadership. Sometimes it helps to be direct rather than just sit there quietly waiting to be 'talent spotted'.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi all

any advice pls? thanks.
Are you a degtee holder? If so, is it recognized by MOE? Else it would be strange for your RO to hint that you have low CEP where you have veen getting Bs and C+.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Unregistered216

Quote:
Are you a degtee holder? If so, is it recognized by MOE? Else it would be strange for your RO to hint that you have low CEP where you have veen getting Bs and C+.
hi all, thanks for responses. OP here.

I'm a degree-holder, GEO4, 6 years as trained teacher

any further advice pls? thanks!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi all, thanks for responses. OP here.

I'm a degree-holder, GEO4, 6 years as trained teacher

any further advice pls? thanks!
6 years and GEO4 is normal progression. What do you mean that your CEP isn’t high? I personally know of ppl who only got their GEO4 after 6 years of service.

Do you mean you are slated for leadership positions? Sometimes, it’s the environment that you are in that lacks the opportunity. If you really want to take on leadership positions and realised that most ppl in the management team are young, then you may want to consider changing your environment.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

Default MOE Payroll Officer

Hi all,

I would like to check on which email can I direct my enquiry about my pay advice to? Tried googling it and checking the FAQ on pac@gov but it only mention that I need to approach my payroll officer.

Thanks in advice!
Old 08-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
6 years and GEO4 is normal progression. What do you mean that your CEP isn’t high? I personally know of ppl who only got their GEO4 after 6 years of service.

Do you mean you are slated for leadership positions? Sometimes, it’s the environment that you are in that lacks the opportunity. If you really want to take on leadership positions and realised that most ppl in the management team are young, then you may want to consider changing your environment.
For someone who is actively looking out for opportunities to grow, develop and climb, 6 years to GEO4 is a snail's pace. By third year in first school, if it is apparent that there are no pathways for development in that school, and you feel your learning has plateaued, it is time to change environment ASAP to a place that offers more chances and vacancies for young blood to step up.

6 years is more like a balanced pace of progression for someone who has told their RO that they are juggling their career with moderate/heavy outside responsibilities (e.g. family) and would like to pace themselves.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app