Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 12-05-2019, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

I'd just like to check if anyone has made the comparison between IP and non-IP heads (e.g. CCE, Year Heads) etc.

Will the workload of one be considerably more compared to the other?

What about in terms of progression?

Is it common from an IP head to jump to a non-IP post and vice versa, or will it pretty much remain the same for the rest of one's career?
In terms of progression, there is no difference between IP /Non IP role.
In terms of workload, Non-IP carry more workload because you still need to support IP heads in their work ( students are the focus..remember).. and also do your own portfolio.
There are some benefits though in the Non-IP side.. no reportees.. this means..less paper work (EPMS)/ file check/vetting paper etc.. In terms of preparing yourself for further progression, non-ip role provides you with more exposure.. because you are already familar with what they do in IP...

Old 13-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
I appreciate your response so far. That default C thing was told to me by previous P. Maybe I have got lousy SLs and ROs. Cos I know and hear cases to know its not true.

Can I ask if you know how the cep is calculated apart from performance?

I think your performance super good... for me in sch... no opportunity given. So can only just do what is given... since now I know my position better... I think I know what I need to focus on.
Actually, I was lucky to have a boss who saw the potential in me and gave me alot of opportunities. I went from a normal EO to a HOD straight. I wasnt a coordinator, LH or SH in between. After HQ, I went to another school. He checks on me often if I am alright. I told him that I am considering changing schools when my 3 years in my current school is up, he told me he will ask around, just let him know when to ask around. For my ex-boss, when he says he will help, he will really help. For that, I am grateful to him.

To answer your question on CEP and performance, I would say they are related. For normal EOs, you need to have good performance before your boss decides to raise your CEP (Otherwise its at default GEO5). There is no fixed formula. For some schools, its the RO who suggests the raise in CEP. For some schools, its the SLs. For some schools, it needs to be cleared by the panel. For some schools, the P has the final say. All schools work differently but someone needs to trigger the discussion to raise your CEP.

If you are a scholar, your CEP will be different. For some scholars (not those normal teaching scholarships), their CEP would be that of Supts which is pre-assigned by MOE, unless the school deems otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Jaded KP

Old 17-05-2019, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Does any of you know the allowance that a GEO officer gets for assuming LH/SH/HOD role?

Old 18-05-2019, 01:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
In terms of progression, there is no difference between IP /Non IP role.
In terms of workload, Non-IP carry more workload because you still need to support IP heads in their work ( students are the focus..remember).. and also do your own portfolio.
There are some benefits though in the Non-IP side.. no reportees.. this means..less paper work (EPMS)/ file check/vetting paper etc.. In terms of preparing yourself for further progression, non-ip role provides you with more exposure.. because you are already familar with what they do in IP...
Only the AYH and YH are likely to have no reportees. SH/HOD of other non IP like CCE, aesthetic etc will still be an RO. From what I can see, it is easier for the IP heads to showcase the effectiveness of their programmes- through results. Non-IP...harder. I see the YHs in my school fire fightimg everyday. Worst of all the heads. Whether or not their contributions are recognised depends on what the SLs value.
Old 18-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually, I was lucky to have a boss who saw the potential in me and gave me alot of opportunities. I went from a normal EO to a HOD straight. I wasnt a coordinator, LH or SH in between. After HQ, I went to another school. He checks on me often if I am alright. I told him that I am considering changing schools when my 3 years in my current school is up, he told me he will ask around, just let him know when to ask around. For my ex-boss, when he says he will help, he will really help. For that, I am grateful to him.

To answer your question on CEP and performance, I would say they are related. For normal EOs, you need to have good performance before your boss decides to raise your CEP (Otherwise its at default GEO5). There is no fixed formula. For some schools, its the RO who suggests the raise in CEP. For some schools, its the SLs. For some schools, it needs to be cleared by the panel. For some schools, the P has the final say. All schools work differently but someone needs to trigger the discussion to raise your CEP.

If you are a scholar, your CEP will be different. For some scholars (not those normal teaching scholarships), their CEP would be that of Supts which is pre-assigned by MOE, unless the school deems otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Jaded KP
Super good bosses you have. Mine cant even less by example. Cant even answer your doubts and all.. sigh...
Old 18-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

Finished NIE PGDE in 2016.
2017 perf grade: C (default) & cohort promotion to GEO3
2018 perf grade: C+
2019 perf grade: C+

Assuming I've C or C+ again, when is my next promotion?

Old 18-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Finished NIE PGDE in 2016.
2017 perf grade: C (default) & cohort promotion to GEO3
2018 perf grade: C+
2019 perf grade: C+

Assuming I've C or C+ again, when is my next promotion?
Male? There is no hard and fast rule saying that you will definitely be promoted after getting a number if consecutive C+ or B. Could be 2020 or 2021 to geo 4, depending on whether you have proven your capability to take on greater responsibilities. When it comes, it comes.
Old 18-05-2019, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi. This is the jaded KP earlier.

In the system for 15 years. I have 1 C, 2 C+, 1A, 11 Bs, throughout my span of career. The C was in my BT year. It was the default grade. So those KPs telling you that 'Oh you are just promoted, so you will get default C for this year ranking'. It is NOT true. During those years when I was just promoted, I never got a default C. I got Bs. Even in HQ when I received my SEO, I was given a C+. So yes, CEP is important and thats why during KP ranking at cluster, some Ps will fight tooth and nail for their KPs.

Sometimes, I feel that my CEP is my bane. It opens up opportunities which others do not have. But its a vicious cycle. More responsibilities = more work and if work is good = more responsibilities. And yet, I will never be promoted further because I am not scholar.

Not just your cep. You are a SEO, and you will need to take on the responsibilities to meet your KRA. Did your SLs tell you explicitly that you are no longer in the runway for VP?

If you are really jaded, then giving up the title and going back to geo5 might be a way out, provided that you are willing to take a paycut and bear with all the questioning.

Sometimes, being too long in the service made you forget why you wanted to teach in the first place. My advice is, don't be a headless housefly. Know what to take up and speak with your RO.
Old 21-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

I feel very jaded. 7 years as GEO3 and at ceiling and dont know when I will get promoted to GEO4. Wanted to look for job elsewhere but everywhere the salary is lower. Most other places in govt sector needs assistant director or manager role to hit this sort of salary. Feel so stuck and demoralised.
Old 21-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I feel very jaded. 7 years as GEO3 and at ceiling and dont know when I will get promoted to GEO4. Wanted to look for job elsewhere but everywhere the salary is lower. Most other places in govt sector needs assistant director or manager role to hit this sort of salary. Feel so stuck and demoralised.
Try applying for open posting. Either get a HQ stint or change school. This will help you move faster as well since you will be changing bosses.

What do you teach? To be honest, I think it's difficult for teachers to change career and expect same pay. Our "skills" and "knowledge" does not command that much in the real working world.