Career as Teacher - Page 118 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 02-09-2018, 09:21 AM

b4zabeat is on a distinguished road

I would like to ask about relief teaching assignments. I have already gotten the SRE approval, and have approached many schools in my area to ask. But, most of them told me that that they do not need relief teachers. I have tried this for several years to get a school teaching experience, but to no avail. Can anyone advise me? Thank you!

Last edited by b4zabeat; 02-09-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Unregistered

For the most part... probably.

However, the ranking panel is made out of multiple ppl; if said bootlicker fails to make a good impression on others then it might not.

Let's put it this way - there are multiple factors at work here, and (I think) the situation's probably not as bad as one might think. The average panel member probably aims to give fair grades to the school's colleagues; although probably biased (whether consciously or not) towards the ppl they know (esp. their dept officers). Since multiple departments are represented, this will tend to balance out (sometimes not).

Hard work and competence do play a part in this; my point is more that people need to know about these in order to be recognised during ranking. As a thought exercise... here are three hypothetical officers. How do you think they will be ranked, assuming the same grade?

A: Obvious 'bootlicker', takes on many dept projects, quite liked by HOD. Skives off for CCA / committees.
B: Mediocre officer, genuinely enthusiastic disposition, generally happy to help out anyone who asks.
C: Hardworking capable officer, very quiet, leaves school early to do marking outside.

(Don't think there's a fixed answer for this - depending on how other HODs have observed these officers at work and how much the RO fights for them, I can imagine different outcomes...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So technically, is it safe and fair to say that if you have a good RO, and also to put it bluntly, those who bootlick their RO, will have a higher performance grade?

Old 04-09-2018, 05:16 AM
Unregistered_independt

Default Advice needed for young BT

Hi,

I hope someone who is still in service can provide me with some advice.

Background:
I was a overseas scholar (Teaching scholarship (Overseas)) did both my bachelor and master degree before returning back to Singapore to complete my PgDE. Currently, I have just been posted/seconded to an Independent school as my first school posting as a BT. (consider me lucky). At the present moment, I'm a GEO 2 (trained) officer

As I recently just completed my work review with my RO. I raised up the conversation of having some interests in MOE FLP. However, as my RO is a direct hire from the school, my RO does not really know much about the MOE career development (that was basically what my RO said). Also my school also has its own PD, however, my guess was it's main focus is on the direct hire staffs since I am on secondment.

So my question is

1) Will I get to know my performance grade after this work review? If so, is there an approx timeline?

2) How will ranking of EOs who are seconded to independent school be different to say EOs who are in govt school?

3) Regarding salary, just out of curiosity and I have been wondering what is salary range points? It seems like based on the forum, the salary range for example GEO 2 is quite a big range..Just curious how to they gauge the salary for EOs who are on the same GEO level but receiving different salary.

4) Does anyone know much about FLP? Should I try asking my P to sought for recommendation?

Teaching and learning is of great importance for me as BT, but at the same time, I would like some clarity and goals to work towards to.

Hope someone who was/is in similar shoes or have encounter young BTs like me can share their thoughts on this.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Once seconded

I was pretty much in your shoes almost a decade ago - some of my info might be outdated, but I'll have a crack at answering your questions.

1) Performance grade can officially be viewed in mid-March next year when they release the performance bonus (it's printed on the payslip for the bonus). The school (possibly your RO) might have an inkling of what it is before that (school ranking exercise should be around this time), but since at this stage it's just recommended grade and not yet finalised they probably won't be letting you know (and even if they do, it's not yet official).

2) I'm not 100% certain, actually. I know independent schools will rank all their seconded staff and report to MOE. I'm not sure if they're ranked against direct staff of the same grade as well. I imagine independent schools have more flexible quotas to work with - I think at least among direct hires, there are more Bs, but honestly I don't know enough to answer this.

3) If you go to Pac@Gov you'll be able to find a link that tells you the range for your current salary scale. I think someone's posted a crowdsourced range of salary scales previously - try looking further back in this thread.

4) My understanding of FLP is that you are automatically recommended if your CEP is pretty high for your age / years in service. No harm speaking to your school leader (might be that only the P is MOE staff?), but I'd suggest positioning it as trying to find out more about the programme (and how to get onto it), rather than an outright request for a recommendation.

Additionally: I really enjoyed my first stint in an independent school, but looking back I don't think it was the most career-enhancing one, if that's your priority. You get ranked against other relatively competent people (for the most part, I think even the lazy ones at least do enough to get by), you have minimal exposure to what happens in an average government school, and there are limited opportunities for advancement (vacancies don't open up that often, and all else being equal, direct hires will likely be prioritised). If career progression is a goal of yours, you can consider taking up a leadership (e.g. SH/LH) position in another school, or going for a HQ posting, around the 3 year mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered_independt View Post
Hi,

I hope someone who is still in service can provide me with some advice.

Background:
I was a overseas scholar (Teaching scholarship (Overseas)) did both my bachelor and master degree before returning back to Singapore to complete my PgDE. Currently, I have just been posted/seconded to an Independent school as my first school posting as a BT. (consider me lucky). At the present moment, I'm a GEO 2 (trained) officer

As I recently just completed my work review with my RO. I raised up the conversation of having some interests in MOE FLP. However, as my RO is a direct hire from the school, my RO does not really know much about the MOE career development (that was basically what my RO said). Also my school also has its own PD, however, my guess was it's main focus is on the direct hire staffs since I am on secondment.

So my question is

1) Will I get to know my performance grade after this work review? If so, is there an approx timeline?

2) How will ranking of EOs who are seconded to independent school be different to say EOs who are in govt school?

3) Regarding salary, just out of curiosity and I have been wondering what is salary range points? It seems like based on the forum, the salary range for example GEO 2 is quite a big range..Just curious how to they gauge the salary for EOs who are on the same GEO level but receiving different salary.

4) Does anyone know much about FLP? Should I try asking my P to sought for recommendation?

Teaching and learning is of great importance for me as BT, but at the same time, I would like some clarity and goals to work towards to.

Hope someone who was/is in similar shoes or have encounter young BTs like me can share their thoughts on this.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Unregistered

Figured I'd bump this - anyone has additional data/edits to suggest? Since this is, after all, the salary.sg forum...

p.s. for teachers without any official appointments, salary grade will cap at GEO5.

GEO1 (Untrained): ? (non-graduates start here)
GEO (Trained): 1600 - 2730
GEO2 (Untrained): 2000-4340 (graduates start here)
GEO2 (Trained): 2538-4500
GEO3: 3515 -5616
GEO4: 4545-7271
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5651-9064 (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-10766 (min. HOD/LT)
SEO3: 8748-11232 (+9%?) (min. HOD/MT)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Once seconded

One more thing I thought I'd mention - back when I started, starting pay was linked to degree class. e.g. all those with 2.1 / first class honours would start higher within the grade. I compared with some friends in my first year and realised I was being paid less - wrote in to HR and realised they hadn't captured my honours class, so they ended up adjusting it (with backpay).

After a few years in service, it'll probably get out of sync since each year's increment is affected by previous year's performance grade.

I have no idea how they decide where to place you within the scale when you get promoted - I imagine there's some formula for it that gives you a bump in salary while keeping some space before hitting the next salary ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered_independt View Post

Old 05-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

Default UGs teacher will have better career progress

I'm currently a BT in Boy Brigade, want to know if UGs would help me with my career progress.

2. When will School decide our CEP?

Thank you!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm currently a BT in Boy Brigade, want to know if UGs would help me with my career progress.

2. When will School decide our CEP?

Thank you!
1. It doesn’t matter which CCA you are assigned to. What matters most is the impact you make.

2. Schools decide on your CEP during ranking session and this will be reviewed on a yearly basis. To be honest, most teachers who are not scholars will start off with a CEP of SEO1/2. If they consistently perform well, their CEP will be bumped up. Similarly, if they do not perform so well, their CEP might drop to a GEO5.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
1. It doesn’t matter which CCA you are assigned to. What matters most is the impact you make.

2. Schools decide on your CEP during ranking session and this will be reviewed on a yearly basis. To be honest, most teachers who are not scholars will start off with a CEP of SEO1/2. If they consistently perform well, their CEP will be bumped up. Similarly, if they do not perform so well, their CEP might drop to a GEO5.
So by default average teacher can only make it to VP SEO 2. While scholar cep (moe teaching scholarship) is superscale H?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So by default average teacher can only make it to VP SEO 2. While scholar cep (moe teaching scholarship) is superscale H?
No. It is not true. If you constantly get B or A for your performance, your CEP will be bumped up. A normal non-scholar teacher can also have superscale CEP. There are many non-scholar principals too.

Similarly, if the scholar does not perform well, their CEP will also drop.

Ultimately, it really depends on your consistent performance. A scholar may have a head start, but if you consistently perform well, you can get there too.

You must understand that the scholars have put in their efforts in achieving excellent results in the past. So, it is fair that they get a head start for their achievement. However saying this, it does not mean that a non scholar teacher can never outperform the scholars. In fact, there are many non-scholar teachers who are doing better than the scholars.