Old 07-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Verified Member

ridhwan1820 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
May-June 2018 application window
Interview on 12 July 18
Shortlisted for pri EL/Maths

Anyone has been to MOE School counsellor interview yet? Is the interview similar to teacher’s interview with 3-4 interviewers? What kind of questions do they asked? Appreciate any sharing here.

Great thanks.
I have heard of some people already getting the shortlisted email in the hardwarezone forum.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

For those who transferred/changed schools a few times, or for those who are KPs, I have this very debatable question to ask:

Are your students' results tagged to your progression in the career ladder e.g. performance grade/bonus, rate of promotion etc.

I assume this will be true in good/elite schools. What if you are in a neighbourhood school?

Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
For those who transferred/changed schools a few times, or for those who are KPs, I have this very debatable question to ask:

Are your students' results tagged to your progression in the career ladder e.g. performance grade/bonus, rate of promotion etc.

I assume this will be true in good/elite schools. What if you are in a neighbourhood school?
The absolute grade doesnt matter. But value adding will be good. If you receive a lousy class, miracle would have to happen if they all pass their o level subjects. So as long as they perform more than expected then can alr.
If you receive a good class, will be much easier to make them pass. But if a significant of them fail, then there might be some issue.
Exact value adding , Need to look at PRISM data.

Generally you are not held very accountable for student performance.
At least not more than the principal in charge of the teachers. (A good principal will be able to lead his teachers and promote, ie large number of them to eventually assume principal and senior posts. But in reality the rate of promotion is dependent on teachers potential, rather then your prinicpal action.

Similarly students grades are dependent on their potential, rather than teacher action.
But a terrible teacher can screw things up all fail. A terrible prinicpal can force all of them to quit.

For teachers wise, cca and projects are more impt

Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Verified Member

going a bit off course here but i hope i can get my queries addressed. I hope there are some HRs here in the civil service department.

Can i ask how exactly is the hiring process conducted? Is the hiring determined by one person or a couple of people? How much can prejudice factor in when deciding the best person for the job? Yes i am talking about race. Is hiring really done based on meritocracy?

I have been applying for close to 100+ jobs in the goverment portal website since i had graduated with a 1st class honors from ntu last year (i was even a 4-time dean lister with a near perfect score). And yes i am a singaporean, albeit i am a minority. Out of the 100+ jobs so far, i had been invited for an interview thrice, failing to get any job offers so far. And no I didnt put too high an expected salary (3.2k - 3.5k which is near or below market rate) and no i dont think i lack presentation skills either. And no there is nothing wrong with my resume either - i had it checked by friends and a professional. And no, i only applied for jobs relevant to my degree unless is is stated that they consider any degree.

Is there favouritism in the public sector? are there directives that HR has to adhere to when recruiting in order to ensure fair employment practices? I am thinking of giving up hope in applying for a civil service job and try my luck in the private sector instead.

Hope to get views from HRs and maybe minority job applicants who were successful before. - no bashing please, just need advise.

Last edited by ridhwan1820; 08-08-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Verified Member

from an online source,

''The reality is that any assessment of racial harmony and multiculturalism must also deal with racial discrimination. Last year’s Institute of Policy Studies’ (IPS) study on race relations in Singapore revealed that 67 per cent of Malays and 60 per cent of Indians said that they experienced discrimination during job applications. In contrast, 61 per cent of Chinese said they had never faced racial discrimination in employment. ''

''These findings were recognised in Parliament last month, when MP Hri Kumar proposed the adoption of anti-discrimination legislation to send a strong signal about accountability in employment practices. MP Zaqy Mohamad further cited by Suara Musyawarah, an independent committee that does research on the Malay/Muslim community. The report highlighted discriminatory practices in workplaces where employers prefer non-Malay employees.''
Old 09-08-2018, 05:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhwan1820 View Post
from an online source,

''The reality is that any assessment of racial harmony and multiculturalism must also deal with racial discrimination. Last year’s Institute of Policy Studies’ (IPS) study on race relations in Singapore revealed that 67 per cent of Malays and 60 per cent of Indians said that they experienced discrimination during job applications. In contrast, 61 per cent of Chinese said they had never faced racial discrimination in employment. ''

''These findings were recognised in Parliament last month, when MP Hri Kumar proposed the adoption of anti-discrimination legislation to send a strong signal about accountability in employment practices. MP Zaqy Mohamad further cited by Suara Musyawarah, an independent committee that does research on the Malay/Muslim community. The report highlighted discriminatory practices in workplaces where employers prefer non-Malay employees.''
For civil service definitely no. In fact might have some affirmative action.
However I think your failure is not due to ethnicity but likely interview skills, I kept on seeing you post fch fch fch in your posts.

Some interviewer might not like such blatant display. Shows lack of eq.
You already put fch in ur resume, then that is more enuff. They can read. Emphasise on other points why you will make a great fit to their organisation rather than fch.

They want to you to show interest, not to listen to how great your degree is.
Also your cover letter and CV needs to indivualise to the job you apply.
Although u apply to 100jobs, make sure all of them are different ah.

We always blame our circumstances on parental wealth, on race, on gender, on sexual orientation, height, looks or whatsoever, before taking an objective and unbiased view of our own performance.

To be honest, in the past I also blame the lack of success on my lack of connections.

So cheers.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
For civil service definitely no. In fact might have some affirmative action.
However I think your failure is not due to ethnicity but likely interview skills, I kept on seeing you post fch fch fch in your posts.

Some interviewer might not like such blatant display. Shows lack of eq.
You already put fch in ur resume, then that is more enuff. They can read. Emphasise on other points why you will make a great fit to their organisation rather than fch.

They want to you to show interest, not to listen to how great your degree is.
Also your cover letter and CV needs to indivualise to the job you apply.
Although u apply to 100jobs, make sure all of them are different ah.

We always blame our circumstances on parental wealth, on race, on gender, on sexual orientation, height, looks or whatsoever, before taking an objective and unbiased view of our own performance.

To be honest, in the past I also blame the lack of success on my lack of connections.

So cheers.
Thanks for the input but no i dont go on telling the interviewers im a FCH. (anyways ive only had 3 interviews so far) That will sound dumb. And yes my CV and cover changes to fit the job. But thanks. Im glad to know it is not a factor in the civil service so im going to keep trying.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
2019 Dec I will get connect plan but I am giving birth and after my maternity leave I plan to take no pay leave for a few months. (Should be back in school before Dec 2019).

How will the connect plan be affected? Is it pushed back by the number of months of my NPL? Anyone with experience ?

Thanks
I have taken NPL before due to child care after ML too. Sad to say, you will only be able to get your connect plan the next working yr... as I remember there was once I came back to work in between and that yr end I wasnt eligible to get my connect plan.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have taken NPL before due to child care after ML too. Sad to say, you will only be able to get your connect plan the next working yr... as I remember there was once I came back to work in between and that yr end I wasnt eligible to get my connect plan.
Have to ensure full 12 months of service to be counted as one yr.
If not, the problem is ppl npl 360mths then still qualify for connect plan at all the time interval?

ML is counted as working mth. But NPL is not.
So if u nv take npl, but only ml, will get in the same yr as ur peers.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The absolute grade doesnt matter. But value adding will be good. If you receive a lousy class, miracle would have to happen if they all pass their o level subjects. So as long as they perform more than expected then can alr.
If you receive a good class, will be much easier to make them pass. But if a significant of them fail, then there might be some issue.
Exact value adding , Need to look at PRISM data.

Generally you are not held very accountable for student performance.
At least not more than the principal in charge of the teachers. (A good principal will be able to lead his teachers and promote, ie large number of them to eventually assume principal and senior posts. But in reality the rate of promotion is dependent on teachers potential, rather then your prinicpal action.

Similarly students grades are dependent on their potential, rather than teacher action.
But a terrible teacher can screw things up all fail. A terrible prinicpal can force all of them to quit.

For teachers wise, cca and projects are more impt
whoa i never knew about this.

but what i'm more concerned about is if let's say - 5 teachers including you are teaching the same level. the "Actual MSG" by the class for EOY was worst for your class, but only slightly below "Expected MSG". for this case, is it possible for the RO to give you a lower performance grade as compared to the other 4 colleagues?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app