Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 21-06-2018, 08:25 PM
Verified Member

ridhwan1820 is on a distinguished road
Default PGDE - given teaching subjects

Would like to seek advice from current MOE teachers. i recently applied for PGDE. I am a FCH from NTU school of biological sciences. I just got an interview offer for PGDE in NIE. In my application, i had put in sec bio as my first choice, and pri sch eng sci as my second choice.

However, i was offered secondary school bio as my first teaching subject, and computer applications as my second teaching subject. I am completely clueless on these IT stuffs. I suspect they gave me this subject because I took one computer programming module while on exchange in Korea. -.-

Any chance they can change my teaching subject? I dont think i can pass any computer skills test if there is a proficiency test being conducted.

Old 21-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm a female, graduated with FCH (with distinction in TP) and is seconded to an independent school though i am still with MOE.

Entered the teaching service in July 2013.
Performance grades were as follows:

2013: C
2014: B
2015 (promoted to GEO 3): C+
2016: C (had HL of 30 days though officially I took only 7, took 6 days marriage leave too)
2017: C+ (was on 16 weeks ML)

Now I'm at the 5th year in independent school, still GEO 3 drawing 5.2k.

Seems like my progression is halted ever since I took on HL.. any chance of promotion for upcoming year since I'm currently transferred to leadership based CCA?
Why did u transfer to independent sch? It may be bad for promotion prospects.

Old 21-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Why did u transfer to independent sch? It may be bad for promotion prospects.
hi, i did not transfer. It was my practicum school, and also my first school since I started teaching.

Old 22-06-2018, 12:05 AM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by singsongplaymj View Post
What is your take on switching from HoD to ST track?

How likely is it for a HoD to progress to VP, given all the recent mergers and vacancies available? Not a scholar here. Typical "farmer", but I am lucky enough to be appointed head within 6 years in service.
It is definitely possible. You've managed to be promoted to head within 6 years meaning you definitely have the potential. But HOD to VP's politics is 1 level up again so I guess time will tell whether you are going to be finishing your career at HOD or be pushed up. But I think if you get an SEO2/3 promotion ahead of some other HODs then I think you will roughly know already. haha
Old 22-06-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I'm a female, graduated with FCH (with distinction in TP) and is seconded to an independent school though i am still with MOE.

Entered the teaching service in July 2013.
Performance grades were as follows:

2013: C
2014: B
2015 (promoted to GEO 3): C+
2016: C (had HL of 30 days though officially I took only 7, took 6 days marriage leave too)
2017: C+ (was on 16 weeks ML)

Now I'm at the 5th year in independent school, still GEO 3 drawing 5.2k.

Seems like my progression is halted ever since I took on HL.. any chance of promotion for upcoming year since I'm currently transferred to leadership based CCA?
I agree 5 years 5.2k is above avg as compared to mainstream schools. But it is matching of your FCH (Note that TP results doesn't really seem to have an impact on career progression).

Can I verify the subjects that you teach? Most of the teachers I know that were seconded to international school (SG or Overseas) are mostly mother tongue teachers.

I would sadly have to agree that based on the experiences of some of my friends, teachers seconded to independent schools do seem to have a slower career progression as the working style and intensity (e.g. mtgs, admin work) is different compared to government schools. But the pay is relatively higher. On the other hand, there are also people who spend a few years seconded to independent schools, then get pulled to HQ for 3-4 years then come out as HOD/VP. So I guess it really depends..
Old 22-06-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhwan1820 View Post
Would like to seek advice from current MOE teachers. i recently applied for PGDE. I am a FCH from NTU school of biological sciences. I just got an interview offer for PGDE in NIE. In my application, i had put in sec bio as my first choice, and pri sch eng sci as my second choice.

However, i was offered secondary school bio as my first teaching subject, and computer applications as my second teaching subject. I am completely clueless on these IT stuffs. I suspect they gave me this subject because I took one computer programming module while on exchange in Korea. -.-

Any chance they can change my teaching subject? I dont think i can pass any computer skills test if there is a proficiency test being conducted.
Computer Application is new. But yes I've had a friend who did her NUS degree in physics but when applied to Pri sch, they gave her music because she had grade 8 piano. So your suspicion is not unfounded.

But tbh, since it is a relatively new subject. No one in our generation would have taken it. So in NIE, they will definitely equip you with the pedagogical skills and the content knowledge to teach that particular subject. Just that you may have to spend some time to brush up your programming skills? haha.

Changing teaching subject is definitely possible but you have to write in soon. You can start by writing in to the PGDE admin office in NIE, explaining your case and ask for a change.

Old 22-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher View Post
I agree 5 years 5.2k is above avg as compared to mainstream schools. But it is matching of your FCH (Note that TP results doesn't really seem to have an impact on career progression).

Can I verify the subjects that you teach? Most of the teachers I know that were seconded to international school (SG or Overseas) are mostly mother tongue teachers.

I would sadly have to agree that based on the experiences of some of my friends, teachers seconded to independent schools do seem to have a slower career progression as the working style and intensity (e.g. mtgs, admin work) is different compared to government schools. But the pay is relatively higher. On the other hand, there are also people who spend a few years seconded to independent schools, then get pulled to HQ for 3-4 years then come out as HOD/VP. So I guess it really depends..
Hmmmm apparently regardless whether I am in independent school or govt school, the pay is the same since I am following MOE's payscale (as I am only a seconded officer, and not a direct staff of the independent school).

Oh, so TP grade is kinda pointless? I am teaching science and yes, I guess independent school does not promote seconded officers well because a lot of appointment holders are given to their direct staff since seconded staff can only stay for a maximum of 6 years in the school.

Oh well, guess I am not of the calibre to be pulled out to go HQ My NIE peers are already subject heads while I am still HOT (happy ordinary teacher).
Old 23-06-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm apparently regardless whether I am in independent school or govt school, the pay is the same since I am following MOE's payscale (as I am only a seconded officer, and not a direct staff of the independent school).

Oh, so TP grade is kinda pointless? I am teaching science and yes, I guess independent school does not promote seconded officers well because a lot of appointment holders are given to their direct staff since seconded staff can only stay for a maximum of 6 years in the school.

Oh well, guess I am not of the calibre to be pulled out to go HQ My NIE peers are already subject heads while I am still HOT (happy ordinary teacher).
Apologies, let me clarify about the relatively higher pay part. What I meant was although in the same salary scale, you may be slightly ahead (at least when you just got posted). Maybe you could verify with your batchmates the starting salary when you first entered the independent school? I've had a few colleagues who've mentioned to me before that albeit in the same scale (e.g. GEO 2), 2 people with the same honours had different pay with the one in independent school slightly nearer to the grade ceiling.

Anyway if you're a GEO 3 now, you should know that you are hitting the ceiling and highly likely a promotion would be coming soon.
Old 23-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

I was also given computer applications for my second teaching subject when I applied for teaching at first. Even after I told the interviewers that I have no background and interest in this subject, I was still allocated this subject for contract teaching. In the end, i wrote an email to MOE HR to request for a change of second subject. I stated that I did not have any prior knowledge in this subject at all and I felt that it would be unfair to my students if I did not enjoy teaching it. I also suggested to them another second teaching subject which is more relevant to my tertiary studies (I even quoted the related module names in uni to show that I am more competent in this subject and also described how much passion I have for this subject instead (for you, maybe chemistry is a more suitable teaching subject).

But of course I guess everything is subjected to MOE’s needs but no harm trying. You can try to email them before you start contract teaching, if not everything will be cast and stone. All the best. Computer Applications is a subject taken by NT students, student management might be challenging and you might be given a NT form class more often because you are a Computer Applications teacher, but again depending on school’s needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhwan1820 View Post

Old 23-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Unregistered

Has anyone been able to switch from maths/eng to sci/engine in the primary level after or during PDGE? Is it possible?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app