Career as Teacher - Page 986 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #9851 (permalink)  
Old 18-12-2023, 09:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Geo3 maxes out at 6250, Geo4 maxes at 7700. Can someone who even after working for 8 years, hit salary ceiling or Geo4 ceiling after 12 years really say that it's an unreasonable salary?

And please don't say "what about parents??" You all know that's a highly unique circumstance for every individual, so don't use that as a blanket excuse.

A geo4 couple who hit the salary cap can't buy BTO at all for goodness sake.
Just last year, before the salary review, GEO3 maxes out at 5.6k
5.6k is very reachable within 6-7 years of service, as seen in the salaries shared by others previously. And that's with the reduced merit increments due to covid.

Someone who's in 8-10th year of service, should be hitting $6-6.5k. That's the range other grads are getting in the wider public service, GLCs.

BTO cap is $14k, or $7k each. To hit 7k, you would need 12-15 years of service as a normal teacher.

Factoring ns, uni, nie, teachers start work at 24-27 years old, do you expect teachers to only start applying for BTOs at 36 to 42 years old?

Median age of marriage is rising, and currently is around 30.

What paygrade would a typical 30yo teacher be? How much would a teacher with 5 yr of experience be earning?

Is that sum enough?

Reply With Quote
  #9852 (permalink)  
Old 18-12-2023, 09:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
genuine question...in that case, does this top heavy phenomenon occur in other ministries and stat boards too?

sounds a bit strange because we dont hear much of these cases from other parts of the public sector

is their progression rate somewhat the same? and wont also be a lot of young people wanting to climb too?
As many have observed, a lot of people do not want to aim for SEO, and are happy to stay at GEO5.

Not everyone aspire to take on managerial responsibility. Many are content to stay as MX11/11A Individual contributors, equivalent to GEO5 HOT.

Progression to MX11 or equivalent is faster than the climb to GEO5.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #9853 (permalink)  
Old 18-12-2023, 10:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As many have observed, a lot of people do not want to aim for SEO, and are happy to stay at GEO5.

Not everyone aspire to take on managerial responsibility. Many are content to stay as MX11/11A Individual contributors, equivalent to GEO5 HOT.

Progression to MX11 or equivalent is faster than the climb to GEO5.
Not very comparable. MX 11 is just 2 grades away from MX13 where all fresh grads are put on. Then MX12 is a cohort promotion grade after 1 year (at least for most people). So that leaves MX11 being one grade away. This is as opposed to GEO 5 where trained grad EOs are put on GEO 2 and even accounting for GEO 3 as the cohort promotion grade, u have to promote 2 more times to reach GEO 5.

Reply With Quote
  #9854 (permalink)  
Old 19-12-2023, 01:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
12 years of working to reach cap of geo4 (7.7k)? that's blasphemy, how is that even fair to teachers after slogging for so much they are paid less than an average MNC worker with around 5-6 years exp
Which average mnc worker gets 7.7k after 6 years work?
Reply With Quote
  #9855 (permalink)  
Old 19-12-2023, 01:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just last year, before the salary review, GEO3 maxes out at 5.6k
5.6k is very reachable within 6-7 years of service, as seen in the salaries shared by others previously. And that's with the reduced merit increments due to covid.

Someone who's in 8-10th year of service, should be hitting $6-6.5k. That's the range other grads are getting in the wider public service, GLCs.

BTO cap is $14k, or $7k each. To hit 7k, you would need 12-15 years of service as a normal teacher.

Factoring ns, uni, nie, teachers start work at 24-27 years old, do you expect teachers to only start applying for BTOs at 36 to 42 years old?

Median age of marriage is rising, and currently is around 30.

What paygrade would a typical 30yo teacher be? How much would a teacher with 5 yr of experience be earning?

Is that sum enough?
You don't understand the BTO cap is it? It's the max for which you can apply bto. Once you exceed the cap you CAN'T APPLY for a BTO. No one is forcing you to apply for a BTO when you're 36.

Theres literally a deferred income assessment scheme for younger couples.

So are you these the teachers whining about how they deserve to be paid more. Sounds like they don't know much about the world.
Reply With Quote
  #9856 (permalink)  
Old 19-12-2023, 09:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Which average mnc worker gets 7.7k after 6 years work?
most mncs do, esp those with presence in sg - a bountiful of them here in sg including fmcg, o&g, pharm and biotech, banks and much much more.
Reply With Quote

  #9857 (permalink)  
Old 19-12-2023, 10:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You don't understand the BTO cap is it? It's the max for which you can apply bto. Once you exceed the cap you CAN'T APPLY for a BTO. No one is forcing you to apply for a BTO when you're 36.

Theres literally a deferred income assessment scheme for younger couples.

So are you these the teachers whining about how they deserve to be paid more. Sounds like they don't know much about the world.
The deferred income assessment is for students who have no incomes.

You are avoiding the question.

Typical age of marriage is 30. What would be a comfortable income to apply for a decent house?

Don't think anyone is anywhere close to exceeding the ceiling at age 30.
If have, please tell me which sch got GEOs hitting 7k at age 30. I go apply

Given that grads form the top 30% of the cohort, we should also be looking at the top 30% of bto projects. So please don't go and quote some random 2 rms or 3rms
Reply With Quote
  #9858 (permalink)  
Old 19-12-2023, 11:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Any teachers got earn covid medals?
Reply With Quote
  #9859 (permalink)  
Old 20-12-2023, 12:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is it fair if my wife's school asks her to go back to work tomorrow and on Thursday this week? She is part of the cockpit team in a secondary school. Aren't they supposed to work in the first and last week of the school holiday and have protected time in between?
Reply With Quote
  #9860 (permalink)  
Old 20-12-2023, 12:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
most mncs do, esp those with presence in sg - a bountiful of them here in sg including fmcg, o&g, pharm and biotech, banks and much much more.
Lol compare to banks biotech. Why not compare to lawyers and doctors also?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,093 Replies, 5,112,174 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,160 Replies, 10,475,803 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
746 Replies, 416,002 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,829 Replies, 2,308,022 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,508 Replies, 1,403,899 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,903 Replies, 4,732,093 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,285 Replies, 639,778 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,353 Replies, 3,466,417 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 78,133 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,208 Replies, 6,851,137 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,684 Replies, 2,393,802 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,825 Replies, 1,448,846 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 502,530 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,161 Replies, 3,807,242 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,350 Replies, 1,167,684 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,037 Replies, 1,089,060 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,441 Replies, 12,605,646 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 16,982 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,768 Replies, 1,519,464 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,811 Replies, 1,580,264 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 807,002 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,236 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 390,362 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 328,365 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 83,279 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 452,608 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 393,646 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,696 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 555,230 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 139,304 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2